Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1896 1897 [1898] 1899 1900 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14449628 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #28456 on: March 07, 2013, 10:06:58 am »

Sounds a bit like an anti-contraceptives campaign.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #28457 on: March 07, 2013, 10:12:19 am »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28458 on: March 07, 2013, 11:05:06 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Sleep is overrated anyways.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #28459 on: March 07, 2013, 11:31:46 am »

Sleep is overrated anyways.
Damn right. Seems more like a SCP though. Specifically that absolutely nonsensical one wher (SPOILER) A woman aborts a fetus who turns out to be a Reality Bender. And still alive.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28460 on: March 07, 2013, 11:35:51 am »

Why do Cyriak's videos always end in inception.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28461 on: March 07, 2013, 11:38:56 am »

I would prefer a globalized base ten time system.
When it is 9:00, it is 9:00 everywhere on earth. Sure it means midnight would be as some strange hour for most time zones, but I think people would adapt easily.

Yes fucking please. This would make coordinating international stuff internationally so much easier. It's hard to remember GMT conversions for everyone.

You'll have the reverse problem then, of remembering what time is morning and evening in every time-zone. Arguably, current time-zones are easier to deal with. With the existing system, if you call someone and they say "it's 3am here" you instantly know it was the wrong time to call, and what "3am" means.

Whereas with global GMT time rather than just saying "it's 3am", how exactly is the person on the other end of the phone going to clue you in on the relative time? "midnight is at 13:00GMT here, and it's 16:00GMT!!!"

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #28462 on: March 07, 2013, 11:43:19 am »

It's night? It's late? Our language is full of lots of different ways to tell people this sort of information.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28463 on: March 07, 2013, 12:01:19 pm »

Yeah, but "3am" very succinctly tells you what you need to know in greater detail than just "late" or "night". With those couple of words, you can plan exactly when to call back (e.g. 6 hours later will be 9am) without further questioning or looking up what time-zone the person is in. Also, when you travel, if they use GMT time everywhere you'd have to remember different opening and closing times for all businesses / jobs etc. And having working in phone jobs, the "don't call after 7" rules would become very complex with having to remember both different start and end times for every location, rather than a single offset.

There's also the issue of how this would fit with "days of the week" and dates. Normally it's the same "day" from the time you get up until the time you go to bed. Using international dates/days would throw everything out (the first half of the first day at work is Monday 1st of June, then it becomes Tuesday 2nd of June in the afternoon :/) You'd either have most places in the world having to adjust to split-date days, or have to decouple the days from the time, which would just be confusing either way.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:18:07 pm by Reelya »

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28464 on: March 07, 2013, 12:33:20 pm »

I think it's more a matter of personal preferences. I do prefer to have GMT because I'm lazy and don't want to re-learn all the hours each time I change of GMT. And have days nicely done too.

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28465 on: March 07, 2013, 01:09:04 pm »

The only bad thing with GMT is people thinking you can go back in time  :P

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #28466 on: March 07, 2013, 01:11:54 pm »

o_O

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28467 on: March 07, 2013, 01:22:31 pm »

o_O

Believe it or not that thing oddly enough reacts to continuity.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #28468 on: March 07, 2013, 01:28:22 pm »

There is a young man at the law library who is making repeated phone calls on a library phone while looking over a disorganized pile of books. He keeps asking the law librarians about "cops" and "civil rights."

I think I may have found both one of the reasons several criminal defendants have been lately been spouting off misinformation/incorrectly using legal terms and an unlicensed practicioner....

This kind of crap is what makes it so people don't take a 4 year plea deal and end up spending a maxed out 17 year stay in the graybar hotel with specifications sentence.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28469 on: March 07, 2013, 01:31:44 pm »

Well there are several reasons why "making a deal" has its issues.

But most people who look into the issue tend to agree that making deals with the accused only has the benefit of saving time and money, but is otherwise flawed in every concievable way and ONLY benefits people who actually did the crime.
Pages: 1 ... 1896 1897 [1898] 1899 1900 ... 11040