Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1672 1673 [1674] 1675 1676 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471755 times)

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #25095 on: January 04, 2013, 05:12:03 pm »

I like to think they sneak on board the ship while it's in port, then stab all the crew in their sleep, finally cornering the captain and kicking him into the boiler while yelling "THIS IS SPARTAAAAA!"

By the same token, I've had games of Axis and Allies where a transport ship more or less cleansed the Atlantic of U-boats by itself.
Of course, cargo ships did carry light cannon for most of the war, though they were rarely effective with them (generally the Navy provided excess guns and ammo, but couldn't spare troops, so the civilian sailors had to man them).
Those canons aren't particularly effective against submarines, though. Unless the submarines try to sink it with it's deck gun. Dunno how common it was in the war for subs to go with deck guns against lone transport ships, instead of using torpedoes.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25096 on: January 04, 2013, 05:31:26 pm »

I like to think they sneak on board the ship while it's in port, then stab all the crew in their sleep, finally cornering the captain and kicking him into the boiler while yelling "THIS IS SPARTAAAAA!"

By the same token, I've had games of Axis and Allies where a transport ship more or less cleansed the Atlantic of U-boats by itself.
Of course, cargo ships did carry light cannon for most of the war, though they were rarely effective with them (generally the Navy provided excess guns and ammo, but couldn't spare troops, so the civilian sailors had to man them).
I know they were armed, but this was insane. Rolled a six every time with its one die, and all German (and later Japanese) submarines would invariably roll 1s and 2s when going up against it.

I'd fluff that as a suicidally aggressive captain ordering ramming attacks every time a sub surfaces within sight.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25097 on: January 04, 2013, 05:54:10 pm »

You can always claim the transport was hauling some eldricth cargo that didn't like to be disturbed. Naturally the U-boats who disturbed it would likely go mad and commit suicide or somesuch.

Or you could attribute it to some secret death ray tech that allowed the transport to gib anything in sight, submarines especially.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #25098 on: January 04, 2013, 05:55:54 pm »

Those canons aren't particularly effective against submarines, though. Unless the submarines try to sink it with it's deck gun. Dunno how common it was in the war for subs to go with deck guns against lone transport ships, instead of using torpedoes.

I *think* it was pretty frequent. Cannon shells were much cheaper than torpedos
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25099 on: January 04, 2013, 05:57:05 pm »

You can always claim the transport was hauling some eldricth cargo that didn't like to be disturbed. Naturally the U-boats who disturbed it would likely go mad and commit suicide or somesuch.

Or you could attribute it to some secret death ray tech that allowed the transport to gib anything in sight, submarines especially.

Or you could attribute it to the gunner on board the ship being a TOTAL NINJA MOTHERFUCKING BADASS.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25100 on: January 04, 2013, 06:25:39 pm »

Why does everyone think my avatar isn't smiling? IT'S A SMIIIIILE D:<
I guess if you squint.

Yes, slaughtering tiny nations with nukes and other such weaponry is absolutely HILARIOUS.
I never thought Ahmadinejad might be active on the forum.
I never thought he'd turn out to be belgian, either.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25101 on: January 04, 2013, 06:26:18 pm »

Ninja badasses can only take you so far. Now ninja badasses and an eldricht abomination, that will get you somewhere.
AS - IG

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25102 on: January 04, 2013, 06:59:43 pm »

Ninja badasses can only take you so far. Now ninja badasses and an eldricht abomination, that will get you somewhere.

Ninja Badasses:

Doom guy
F.E.A.R. guy
Master Chief
Gordon Freeman
Marathon guy
Basically every other first person shooter character

Hm. Strange. All of those I just listed murdered the shit out of some Eldritch Abominations in their time. EVERYTHING Doom guy fought, Alma, the Covenent + Gravemind + the Didact, that boss thing from the first Half-Life, plus the Advisors and Combine, and Marathon guy fought a variety of aliens.
In a fight between a mere ninja badass mortal, and an eldritch abomination, my money is on the mortal.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25103 on: January 04, 2013, 07:09:27 pm »

Since when are any of those ninjas?

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25104 on: January 04, 2013, 07:09:46 pm »

You have to respect a guy who lists off ninjas killing eldricht abominations and doesn't resort to Ryu Hayabusa.
Or Yuffie... Or Obama.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25105 on: January 04, 2013, 07:13:17 pm »

Misko, let me punch you so I can be added to that list.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25106 on: January 04, 2013, 07:23:58 pm »

Well of of those can be considered abominations with their minds spanning multiple beings and universes. So really, it's all a fight between what is at first and undergod and the top god. And the undergod always wins.
AS - IG

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25107 on: January 04, 2013, 08:44:47 pm »

Since when are any of those ninjas?

The pop-culture definition of ninja is fallacious and historically incorrect, likewise, the historical definition of ninja is boring. I'm going with the colloquial definition of ninja, which is, "One who performs acts that are highly dangerous and incredibly unlikely for a human to perform, as a matter of course in combat."

I think they all fit this somewhat ambiguous definition.

You have to respect a guy who lists off ninjas killing eldricht abominations and doesn't resort to Ryu Hayabusa.
Or Yuffie... Or Obama.

Who is Yuffie? And Ryu is a gangster, not a ninja. At no point whatsoever does he ever engage in this 'stealth' people keep telling him about. :P
He's fucking with us.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25108 on: January 04, 2013, 08:46:33 pm »

Ninja chick from FF7. Steals your shit. Potentially kicks Sephiroth's arse.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25109 on: January 04, 2013, 08:48:25 pm »

Oh. I see. I don't... Like FF at all. So. That's why I don't know who she is.
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 1672 1673 [1674] 1675 1676 ... 11037