Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14429476 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #13260 on: August 01, 2012, 12:24:06 am »

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428652/a-computer-infection-that-can-never-be-cured/

motherboard infection
If they are only announcing this now we are already fucked.
I seriously, seriously doubt anyone's put this into practice. And besides, there will be ways to circumvent it developed (the article mentioned some low level encryption thingy).

Then there will be ways to circumvent that, then that, then that... In 50 years we'll have so many layers of protection it'll be ridiculous.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13261 on: August 01, 2012, 12:29:30 am »

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/428652/a-computer-infection-that-can-never-be-cured/

motherboard infection
I seriously, seriously doubt anyone's put this into practice. And besides, there will be ways to circumvent it developed (the article mentioned some low level encryption thingy).

Then there will be ways to circumvent that, then that, then that... In 50 years we'll have so many layers of protection it'll be ridiculous.
don't kid yourself on that, the moment we were able to do network boot was a problem like this could arrive and especially switching over to UEFI theres even more space now for complex programs to run at bios level, Encryption yes would work but thats only for add on devices that need to install the backdoor on the system. The issue is if its already on the motherboard.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13262 on: August 01, 2012, 12:34:53 am »

motherboard infection

don't kid yourself on that, the moment we were able to do network boot was a problem like this could arrive and especially switching over to UEFI theres even more space now for complex programs to run at bios level, Encryption yes would work but thats only for add on devices that need to install the backdoor on the system. The issue is if its already on the motherboard.
I doubt it is. Besides, all you need nowadays to hack most computers is an IP address.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13263 on: August 01, 2012, 12:39:50 am »

motherboard infection

I doubt it is. Besides, all you need nowadays to hack most computers is an IP address.
not entirely true. You would need a IP address but you also have to find a way to send request packets to the computer and have them accepted. That requires finding the right port and exploitation on the computer. This plan will get harder real fast with a real firewall and a IP blacklist requiring proxies to protect yourself from traces and hell even defending yourself if you are counterhacked by chance...... Im going to defcon next year.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13264 on: August 01, 2012, 12:44:40 am »

motherboard infection

not entirely true. You would need a IP address but you also have to find a way to send request packets to the computer and have them accepted. That requires finding the right port and exploitation on the computer. This plan will get harder real fast with a real firewall and a IP blacklist requiring proxies to protect yourself from traces and hell even defending yourself if you are counterhacked by chance...... Im going to defcon next year.
True, I was thinking more of a standard users computer. (firewall disabled/nonexistant, a few ports open) But then again, SEing is the way to go these days, even against big companies.

Also, you lucky bastard.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Aptus

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed ôo
    • View Profile
« Reply #13265 on: August 01, 2012, 02:39:09 am »

Just recovered from a very weird internet problem. Starting yesterday I could not (and have not been able to until now.) connect to a couple of sites, this one included. They worked fine on my phone but not on any of my computers. Tried pretty much everything to no avail and now bam, for no reason it works again. Weird.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13266 on: August 01, 2012, 03:26:02 am »

motherboard infection
Ooh, that instantly made me think about CIH (aka chernobyl), the virus that fucked up your BIOS.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #13267 on: August 01, 2012, 12:04:33 pm »

Heard the sound of a truck backing up at the neighbor's house, some shouting ("HOLD IT!  STOP!  WAIT WAIT WAIT--") then what sounded like a truck backing into something, glass breaking, and knocking over wood planks.  Then the sound of a truck moving again and glass breaking a little bit more.  Can't see what happened 'cause our neighbors planted a long series of trees along our property boundary.  So yeah, sounds like things are not going well over there.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13268 on: August 01, 2012, 02:45:55 pm »

Heard the sound of a truck backing up at the neighbor's house, some shouting ("HOLD IT!  STOP!  WAIT WAIT WAIT--") then what sounded like a truck backing into something, glass breaking, and knocking over wood planks.  Then the sound of a truck moving again and glass breaking a little bit more.  Can't see what happened 'cause our neighbors planted a long series of trees along our property boundary.  So yeah, sounds like things are not going well over there.
No, they were just playing Happy Wheels.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13269 on: August 01, 2012, 06:31:09 pm »

...What time did that happen? ???

Do you, uh, talk to your neighbours at all? Because now I really want to know what happened.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13271 on: August 01, 2012, 08:40:40 pm »

motherboard infection
It's like SecuROM, but worse.
I blame Securom for breaking a burner I had, never a problem with the burner as used one in blue mood a, install GTA and dead burner. Gta got binned and I boung new burner. DRM makers can join virus makers when I go and commit genecide on the planet.

--
military yanks, have place called Harris? that has to security check all the firmware and software an gear army uses or want to but on open market. Apparently 10% of everything they get has extra code in it for purpues they would not say. Id make a good guess that civilians are only being clued in on a known problem.
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13272 on: August 01, 2012, 08:49:23 pm »

So I open up my email account after a few days of not checking it(I'm kinda lazy like that).
I am immediately confronted with:

[TOTAL STRANGER] likes a photo you are tagged in!
[TOTAL STRANGER](friends with [INCREDIBLY DISTANT COUSIN]) commented on a photo that you're tagged in
[INCREDIBLY DISTANT COUSIN] commented on a photo that you're tagged in

Several dozen of each of those. :o A bit more than an entire page of my inbox worth, actually. Gosh.
'Swhat happens when some popular-type-person tags seemingly everyone on their friendslist in a photo.
Thanks, Facebook! :P Now I have to trawl through all that to find my daily Garfield subscription...

Not in the RAGE thread because I don't mind it that much.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13273 on: August 01, 2012, 08:52:28 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=ySAuIYi7ukU
David Attenborough's First Life - Trilobites
about 2 mins in they start showing clened up fossiles, some look like aliens. Be very nice to own but very expensive. Stone Eye lens!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-43AzDw5KI&feature=related more Trilobites close up

they are aliens!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:56:45 pm by Lord Inquisitor »
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13274 on: August 01, 2012, 08:58:39 pm »

So I open up my email account after a few days of not checking it(I'm kinda lazy like that).
I am immediately confronted with:

[TOTAL STRANGER] likes a photo you are tagged in!
[TOTAL STRANGER](friends with [INCREDIBLY DISTANT COUSIN]) commented on a photo that you're tagged in
[INCREDIBLY DISTANT COUSIN] commented on a photo that you're tagged in

Several dozen of each of those. :o A bit more than an entire page of my inbox worth, actually. Gosh.
'Swhat happens when some popular-type-person tags seemingly everyone on their friendslist in a photo.
Thanks, Facebook! :P Now I have to trawl through all that to find my daily Garfield subscription...

Not in the RAGE thread because I don't mind it that much.

All I get is spam from colleges yelling at me to apply...
Pages: 1 ... 883 884 [885] 886 887 ... 11039