Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4019 4020 [4021] 4022 4023 ... 11004

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13662693 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #60300 on: October 10, 2014, 09:10:12 am »

Subverting clichés is good. However, there is a line between "subverting clichés" and "trying to remove essential parts of a storytelling structure". The former is possible if you have a firm grasp on storytelling principles, and the latter is really difficult to do in a satisfying and interesting way even if you know exactly what you're doing.

Still, I bet you could write a story involving a single main protagonist that doesn't follow the monomyth. I think that would be similar to a tragedy? Monomyths don't include someone gaining power, then falling apart completely at the end. Usually it's resolved with them either returning to their previous lifestyle or taking control over the alien world they have visited.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #60301 on: October 10, 2014, 09:48:45 am »

Subverting clichés is good. However, there is a line between "subverting clichés" and "trying to remove essential parts of a storytelling structure". The former is possible if you have a firm grasp on storytelling principles, and the latter is really difficult to do in a satisfying and interesting way even if you know exactly what you're doing.

Still, I bet you could write a story involving a single main protagonist that doesn't follow the monomyth. I think that would be similar to a tragedy? Monomyths don't include someone gaining power, then falling apart completely at the end. Usually it's resolved with them either returning to their previous lifestyle or taking control over the alien world they have visited.

Actually yeah, that's a good point. Greek tragedy in particular doesn't follow the Hero's Journey - and it's the hero's refusal to acknowledge and address their flaws that is often the catalyst of the plot.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #60302 on: October 10, 2014, 10:22:59 am »

You guys ever notice that one trick where if you go to any Wikipedia page and click on the first non-italicized or parenthesized link in each article, you'll eventually hit "Philosophy"?

Found out today that the page "Landform" has a loop in it. Try it.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60303 on: October 10, 2014, 10:28:43 am »

You guys ever notice that one trick where if you go to any Wikipedia page and click on the first non-italicized or parenthesized link in each article, you'll eventually hit "Philosophy"?

Huh, there was a wikipedia page on that game, and it took a while but did lead to philosophy as well...

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #60304 on: October 10, 2014, 10:44:21 am »

A lot of pages have a loop involving Greek and Modern Greek. I tried cake, and it leads to said loop too.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60305 on: October 10, 2014, 11:31:33 am »

A lot of pages have a loop involving Greek and Modern Greek. I tried cake, and it leads to said loop too.

So, who wants to edit Wikipedia articles to remove loops?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60306 on: October 10, 2014, 12:04:36 pm »

That does not really seem possible. Since everything will lead to something...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #60307 on: October 10, 2014, 12:05:52 pm »

That does not really seem possible. Since everything will lead to something...
We send it all to tv tropes.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60308 on: October 10, 2014, 02:00:38 pm »

So, who wants to edit Wikipedia articles to remove loops?
You can do one better and make all of Wikipedia a single loop. One perfect uninterrupted track that goes around each of the however-many-million articles that exist.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60309 on: October 10, 2014, 02:28:26 pm »

Apparently I was sleep talking this morning. According to a sibling I said "How many people do you eat alone?" followed by "Bantu NonNom"

I dident even dream last night...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #60310 on: October 10, 2014, 02:31:06 pm »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #60311 on: October 10, 2014, 02:50:21 pm »

Finished reading 1984 last night.

SHIT that was a freaky ending. At least I get the joke in Graknorke's sig now.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #60312 on: October 10, 2014, 02:51:34 pm »

I posted my thing on Reddit, waited overnight, here's the results:

2 points (99% upvoted)

I mostly just find the rounding error funny.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60313 on: October 10, 2014, 04:26:24 pm »

I am starting to think that in the case with a lot of Embarassing parents...

One reason why they are embarrassing and don't realize it... is because what is embarrassing for a child or teenager isn't embarrassing for an adult.

Another is that Adults have a tendency to shift time onto them. An adult is rarely embarrassed about what they did as a child, so they project that onto their kid.

I think I am finally getting why a parent will say terrible stories about you when your a kid xD
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:30:21 pm by Neonivek »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #60314 on: October 10, 2014, 04:29:12 pm »

I am starting to think that in the case with a lot of Embarassing parents...

One reason why they are embarrassing and don't realize it... is because what is embarrassing for a teenager isn't embarrassing for an adult.
???

You are talking about two societal roles, two generations, and most importantly two different people with two different levels of experience.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 4019 4020 [4021] 4022 4023 ... 11004