Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4018 4019 [4020] 4021 4022 ... 11004

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13679652 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #60285 on: October 10, 2014, 12:35:57 am »

This department store is apparently older than my country.

if you're from South Sudan, I'm sorry to say that ALOT of things are older than your country
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #60286 on: October 10, 2014, 02:15:57 am »

I'm currently standing in a large empty lot in a shopping centre. Between the fluorescent lights and the ragged ceiling with ventilation ducts showing, either Freeman would be right at home here.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #60287 on: October 10, 2014, 02:53:48 am »

Looked at my youtube dashboard, realized I'm a youtube partner

how did I get to be a youtube partner? O_o Cause I used up a collective ~15,000 minutes of people's time?

...wow that actually sounds like a lot

Also, Google Analytics is giving me way more info than I ever thought I'd need. I have exactly one person who's watched my videos being linked from axlstf2.com, duckduckgo and bing. 1 from bing, 563 from Google and 240 from Google Search. Ha!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 02:56:15 am by Putnam »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #60288 on: October 10, 2014, 03:02:54 am »

How many linked from Bay12?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #60289 on: October 10, 2014, 03:09:33 am »

EDIT: I also have 3 views from what appears to be... advertisement. Youtube advertising me. what

EDIT 2: Oh my god they show what youtube searches link me. host_timescale is number one due to the fact that my video using it is the number one result on youtube when searching that (at least, my youtube). It's basically the same thing as those TAS project M videos I posted in the happy thread, now that I think of it. "oh that smarts" is number two, which is odd because that's actually the exact title of one of my videos but also a Demoman line so whatever. SCP-294 is pretty high up there due to a video I made demonstrating SCP-294 in my SCP mod.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:15:15 am by Putnam »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60290 on: October 10, 2014, 03:48:19 am »

I just sort of realized how obviously simple the whole "Heroes Journey" is if you just break it down like this...

Something happens to the hero
The hero does something about it
The something resolves

There you go... the Heroes Journey in full.

I am actually quite disappointed that I finally learned what it is... because at this point it is "of COURSE you have to structure it that way because otherwise you have a gap in the narrative".

And now that I know what it is... I know that it applies to everything. Romeo and Juliet as well as MacBeth both use the Heroes Journey for example.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:52:12 am by Neonivek »

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #60291 on: October 10, 2014, 04:01:56 am »

Oh, come on, there's more to it than that. Romeo and Juliet doesn't work for it that well, nor does MacBeth, but Star Wars is spot-on, for example.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60292 on: October 10, 2014, 04:05:48 am »

Oh, come on, there's more to it than that. Romeo and Juliet doesn't work for it that well, nor does MacBeth, but Star Wars is spot-on, for example.

Romeo starts the play recently broken up with the love of his life, he sees Juliet who offers him a way to mend his heart and goes for it overcoming many of the boundaries set his way... Then he is finally bared his world shifts... He no longer sees the world without Juliet as desirable so he ends his life.

There Heroes Journey.

Beginning, middle, end... Heroes Journey

Chance, Trail, Change.

Or if we expand all elements of the heroes journey are present in Romeo and Juliet... Including the "Mother Goddess"

Starwars is just typical because you can identify a heroic character who does something positive for everyone.

While Romeo isn't a hero and his actions do not benefit anyone in anyway. He tries to do the right thing but is a freeken moron (intentionally so! Remember I have no problem with dumb annoying characters if they are intentional... and frankly I can put myself in his shoes... I've tried to do the right thing and failed spectacularly before and make things a lot worse because I was being a goodly little two shoes and didn't really think about what was going on... Lets just say that Romeo is sort of the character that through the early sections of the play I am uncomfortable with because he often makes the mistakes I make)
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 04:16:40 am by Neonivek »

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #60293 on: October 10, 2014, 04:23:10 am »

Romeo starts the play recently broken up with the love of his life, he sees Juliet who offers him a way to mend his heart and goes for it overcoming many of the boundaries set his way... Then he is finally bared his world shifts... He no longer sees the world without Juliet as desirable so he ends his life.

There Heroes Journey.

Beginning, middle, end... Heroes Journey

Chance, Trail, Change.

Or if we expand all elements of the heroes journey are present in Romeo and Juliet... Including the "Mother Goddess"

Starwars is just typical because you can identify a heroic character who does something positive for everyone.

While Romeo isn't a hero and his actions do not benefit anyone in anyway. He tries to do the right thing but is a freeken moron (intentionally so! Remember I have no problem with dumb annoying characters if they are intentional... and frankly I can put myself in his shoes... I've tried to do the right thing and failed spectacularly before and make things a lot worse because I was being a goodly little two shoes and didn't really think about what was going on... Lets just say that Romeo is sort of the character that through the early sections of the play I am uncomfortable with because he often makes the mistakes I make)
Something's really easy to explain when the idea is so general, it can be applied literally everywhere.

...But seriously, that's a very general explanation.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #60294 on: October 10, 2014, 05:01:52 am »

Something happens to justify telling a story.
That something is resolved and the story ends.

Also, a proper WTF: The Gay Nigger Association of America.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #60295 on: October 10, 2014, 05:17:19 am »

I almost kind of wish you didn't post that InsanityIncarnate because their entire reason for existing is to get attention...

Anyhow the name is meant to be racists and offensive.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #60296 on: October 10, 2014, 05:24:32 am »

Looked at my youtube dashboard, realized I'm a youtube partner

how did I get to be a youtube partner? O_o Cause I used up a collective ~15,000 minutes of people's time?

...wow that actually sounds like a lot

Also, Google Analytics is giving me way more info than I ever thought I'd need. I have exactly one person who's watched my videos being linked from axlstf2.com, duckduckgo and bing. 1 from bing, 563 from Google and 240 from Google Search. Ha!

If you are a youtube partner but don't know about it, does it mean that youtube has a crush on you, technically?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #60297 on: October 10, 2014, 07:57:58 am »

How would you even write a story involving a single main protagonist that isn't in the format of Hero's Journey anyways?

And I guess you could even say that books like A Song of Ice and fire is a bunch of hero journeys entangled together.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #60298 on: October 10, 2014, 08:29:18 am »

How would you even write a story involving a single main protagonist that isn't in the format of Hero's Journey anyways?

And I guess you could even say that books like A Song of Ice and fire is a bunch of hero journeys entangled together.

Yeah, but I guess that at this point, you're broadening the definition of Hero's Journey, as Tiruin mentioned. The original Campbell's Hero's Journey was far more specific.

E: Also, you can totally write one. It's called, in the academic circles, 'a boring fucking story'.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #60299 on: October 10, 2014, 08:30:28 am »

I suppose the original monomyth does require tangible Divine influence.

But the. you'd have to say that in Star Wars, The Force is a divine factor.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 4018 4019 [4020] 4021 4022 ... 11004