Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 11004

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13662298 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #510 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:16 am »

Kind of makes you wonder what else we're doing wrong.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 13, 2011, 09:22:07 am »

Their analogy to flapping wings makes sense. Early flying machines all had flappy wings (which make them look LOLtastic in hindsight) because we assumed that flapping was crucial.

And it makes sense that they're a lot less likely to wear out if they're not pumping. Only a couple of moving parts, less jostling of your internal organs, much smaller sort of device needed. And in theory, you could optimize the thing to increase and decrease impeller rates the same way your heartrate increases when you're active. The obvious next step is to replace all your blood vessels with high-strength polymer so that you can crank the impeller up to insane rates and flush your entire blood supply through the oxygenation cycle in seconds. Which would require super-lungs, which means a redesigned throat built like a wind tunnel....yeah, it's probably a good thing I never went into biomedical engineering like I initially planned. I'd be the guy in the secret island lair doing unauthorized medical experiments.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 13, 2011, 09:28:00 am »

Which would require super-lungs, which means a redesigned throat built like a wind tunnel...
Frankly, why even have the oesophagus so close to the wind pipe?  Constant choking hazard.  You could have your air intake/ outtake somewhere else and make it possible to breath out of your mouth so you can still talk.  Plus if you got that and the pulseless heart you'd have all the required abilities to easily fake your own death.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: June 13, 2011, 09:29:39 am »

Of course, you could also replace your normal blood with a superior synthetic varient. RBC's are actually very, very inefficient. Estimates suggest that optimized synthetic blood could let you go several hours without having to breath with just 10% replacement.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 13, 2011, 09:32:38 am »

Yeah, it kinda terrifies me that cyborgs could be an everyday thing if people really wanted to.

Which makes me think DoD has at least a few heavily-modified volunteers walking (or rolling or jetpacking) around somewhere.

EDIT: Also found this, which I had to factcheck to be sure it wasn't an April Fools' joke. There's a Japanese robotics company called Cyberdyne which manufactures an exoskeleton system named HAL. If they unveil a system for networking these and call it SkyNet or SHODAN, I don't know quite how I'm going to react.

DOUBLE EDIT: They claim the HAL is primarily to assist elderly people who have trouble with walking and moving. Then have this on their website. (Couldn't hotlink the photo).

That doesn't scream "Happy System For Grandma Mobility". More like "Super Seiyuu Knight Warrior Go!"  ???
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 10:05:14 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 13, 2011, 10:09:09 am »

I've seen that in some show a long time ago, i think the creator was very convinced in his stance on weaponizing that thing, medical and rescue uses only, that is untill someone tech savy and evil enough gets their hands on one of those and makes it into an awesome weapon system
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 13, 2011, 10:36:10 am »

There's competition too. Lots of angry comments on that TedTalk from people feeling it was pretty much just a sales pitch for supersoldier kits. Using a marine to showcase the exoskeleton probably didn't help.

On the impeller heart, it strikes me that you probably don't want to pass out near anyone who knows CPR if you have one of those in your chest. Broken ribs aren't fun.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 13, 2011, 11:02:33 am »

"Do Not Resuscitate"

On topic, I had a dream involving an extremely non-euclidean d8 that had 6 sides. Yeah, I don't know either.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 13, 2011, 11:13:01 am »

"Do Not Resuscitate"
Wow, that's brilliant. It does take on new meaning with the existance of artificial hearts. (Although in a non-hospital setting, you'd probably have to tattoo it on your chest or somthing. I imagine that would be very confusing to a would-be resuscitator to find when they tried to save you.)
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 13, 2011, 12:50:45 pm »

I searched "Tarn Adams" in Google Images, and one of the first pictures I saw was a monster eating a baby.

Huh?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

bremarv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 13, 2011, 01:36:44 pm »

I searched "Tarn Adams" in Google Images, and one of the first pictures I saw was a monster eating a baby.

Huh?

Didn't see any baby eating monsters, but was quite a few female Tarn Adams profiles an various sites.

Which reminds me, why would anyone name their girl Billie Paul Piper?
the future isn't the present on steroids. The future is a mutated bacteria that you never saw coming. - Annalee Newitz
there are certain rooms that should not have lava moats. Namely danger room, and daycare rooms.
I prefer dwarves for some things. Like not laying eggs.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 13, 2011, 01:38:23 pm »

Huh?

Didn't see any baby eating monsters, but was quite a few female Tarn Adams profiles an various sites.
It won't show up if safesearch's on.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 13, 2011, 01:53:51 pm »

Of course, you could also replace your normal blood with a superior synthetic varient. RBC's are actually very, very inefficient. Estimates suggest that optimized synthetic blood could let you go several hours without having to breath with just 10% replacement.
Thank god RBC's don't assist in any other bodily functions and can't be easily replaced.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 13, 2011, 02:01:15 pm »

Scientists develop new artificial heart with no pulse:o

Wouldn't making an artificial heart that pulses be a lot harder than one that's just an impeller?  Seems petty obvious to me, a mere cardiolohobbiest.
Logically, yes. The proble was that everyone assumed the pulsers were critical.

Wow! That's really incredibly stupid of them. You'd think it would be obvious to anybody with even the slightest background in biology, and especially people who are actually involved with it for a living, like medical engineers, that a natural heart's pulse is an artifact of the way that all body movements are ultimately based on expansion and contraction of muscle fibers which can only deform to a finite extent.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 02:11:18 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 13, 2011, 02:08:16 pm »

Thank god RBC's don't assist in any other bodily functions and can't be easily replaced.
I'd think it would be a given that a sucessful synthetic blood replacement would be able to perform all the jobs of the RBCs it is replacing.
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 11004