Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10373 10374 [10375] 10376 10377 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554136 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155610 on: February 06, 2021, 07:10:38 am »

I... how is meth expensier than cocaine? Why LGBT has more money for drugs than other people in the UK? Is.. what?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #155611 on: February 06, 2021, 07:12:17 am »

I believe that being murdered is bad for your health.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155612 on: February 06, 2021, 07:21:44 am »

I... how is meth expensier than cocaine? Why LGBT has more money for drugs than other people in the UK? Is.. what?
Scarcity. Will change once cartels also set up production facilities in the UK
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #155613 on: February 06, 2021, 07:26:49 am »

It matters which country you're buying it in. In many former Soviet Union countries meth will be cheaper than cocaine because whether heroin, cocaine or meth is the dominant drug will depend on loads of historical factors. In countries like France, Italy and UK, they had loads of periods where heroin processing was legal, and so their wayward chemists produced lots of heroin. Especially when heroin was unlegaled. For countries like France, Italy and UK with lots of historical connections with trans-Atlantic heroin trade (which then developed into trans-Atlantic cocaine trade via the rise of the Mexican, Colombian, French/Corsican and Sicilian/Calabrian connections), in these countries heroin and cocaine became the primary poisons of choice. Whereas in countries in the former shadow of the USSR, they didn't have the cocaine/heroin links, but they did have a huge pharmaceutical industry which produced methamphetamines to supply to soldiers. When the soviet union collapsed all these chemists had these facilities for drug production and the skills to keep doing it, plus the sudden lack of demand amongst legitimate buyers. The inevitable conclusion was that many would turn to producing crystal meth for black market supplying. Regarding the LGBT meth market in the UK, it's not about how much money you have (as the number of bankers and politicians on cocaine in the UK could attest to. They can afford meth, but they don't use it). It's more that a subculture has grown around meth usage in the UK, because the side effect of meth where users stay awake for days is an advantage for people holding multi-day drug parties/orgies

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155614 on: February 06, 2021, 07:35:51 am »

As the UK has never produced large quantities of meth, has a reasonably educated population, and has other fairly inexpensive drugs with better reputations available, there's no huge market. Market forces mean it'll be prohibitively expensive, as smuggling drugs into a country is costly, especially with a low-scale operation. This may change, but I suspect that meth will never be that big in the UK, unless heroin and cocaine supplies are cut off unexpectedly.

LGBT people don't have more money, exactly... the meth use seems to be somewhere on the extreme end of the druggier subcultures of the gay male community, which has always done it's own thing with drugs compared to the straights. So meth use in the UK is a completely different form of behaviour from meth use in the US, like the difference between early freebasing and the crack epidemic. At £260 a gram, it's probably mostly urban professionals. It's pretty niche, I suspect, as I haven't heard of it until today.

Eh, ninja'd by LW.

Of course, there is a phenomenon where stuff spreads from the gay community into the mainstream, including the use of certain drugs, but like... meth? I doubt it. Everyone's seen breaking bad.
One wheel short of a wagon

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155615 on: February 06, 2021, 11:05:41 am »

-
« Last Edit: September 16, 2023, 01:34:14 pm by dragdeler »
let

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155616 on: February 06, 2021, 07:43:04 pm »

I'm still quarantining, the vaccine is almost here. I can taste it, it tastes cold cause it's stored at subzero temperature. I'm almost out of food in my kitchen, and I don't want to chance going to the store and catching covid, that'd be like tripping at the finish line. I've finally decided to dig into that big bag of rice I bought earlier this year. It's gonna be Rice And Cheese. Rice and Gravy. Rice and Mashed Potatoes. Rice and Rice for the foreseeable future. I think I have a little bit of ham and pepperoni chilling in my fridge, I'm sure that can get mixed in with some rice maybe.

I might be way off on my estimation of the vaccines' closeness, atleast this diet is forcibly making me slightly healthier, if only because I'm separated from my waifu: Little Debbie. If anything forces me out of my apartment, it'll be my sweet tooth; I only have a bit of applesauce, pear halves, cereal, and aloe juice left. Now, is this enough to last me through February? Probably not, but it's kinda fun to have to think about my meals rather than obliviously shoving my favorite shit in my maw.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #155617 on: February 06, 2021, 07:48:58 pm »

I mean. Pepperoni and rice is great, but your behavior shouldn't actually change much or at all post vaccine from what it was prior? The things help a lot but they're not 100% effective and you're still going to need to be on best plague behavior for the foreseeable future.

See if store does curbside, though? Safer, also remarkably less effort on your part (eomeone else does the shopping!). It's what I've been doing since last February or March or whatever.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155618 on: February 06, 2021, 08:31:03 pm »

Fun fact: Meth is apparently gaining a foothold in Sweden, they're becoming very popular here

I've heard it's very moreish.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155619 on: February 06, 2021, 09:11:43 pm »

Dayum, I thought we were just getting a cold weekend, but apparently we are getting a full week of sub-zero day temperatures and even longer sub-zero night temperatures.
It has been a few years since we had such wintery weather. Might as well enjoy it.

I've already laid a solid base for a snowman. The ball will probably turn into a hill overnight, it will keep snowing.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155620 on: February 06, 2021, 10:04:06 pm »

I haven't gone into a grocery store since I moved out to my own place. The peace of mind is easily worth the extra fee that goes with it.
This is truly baffling to me. I just go to the grocery store weekly like usual. I haven't actually changed any of my habits in the slightest.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155621 on: February 06, 2021, 10:17:44 pm »

Whereas I'm surprised at the idea it doesn't propagate by surface - commonly?  I'm not going to stop washing my hands and treating groceries as suspect for a day or two.  If I touched something suspect, I don't touch my face until I wash my hands.

Because it doesn't hurt to wash my hands more (a good habit to learn) and be a bit careful.  It's not a big deal because I've long been planning my grocery trips over a month apart, because the real danger is being exposed to airborne droplets from close proximity.  My big risk was when I was marching for good causes, and we had social distancing and masks for that.  It was worth the risk.  Currently it is not - the risk is (despite appearances) higher than ever, and there's less reason to protest - yet.

It's really difficult to ration hard liquor though.  I like to think that's partly responsible for a lot of my failings in 2020.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155622 on: February 06, 2021, 10:24:53 pm »

Whereas I'm surprised at the idea it doesn't propagate by surface - commonly?  I'm not going to stop washing my hands and treating groceries as suspect for a day or two.  If I touched something suspect, I don't touch my face until I wash my hands.
Yeah, fomite transmission (which is pretentious for 'contaminated surface') has never been observed (for this virus, I mean) and appears to just not happen. People thought it might happen but it doesn't. You shouldn't stop washing your hands though. You should be doing that anyway. You will never be clean enough. Nothing is ever clean enough.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155623 on: February 06, 2021, 10:43:37 pm »

I'm still quarantining, the vaccine is almost here.

God, I hope so. This year has been fucking awful. I know we all know that here -- I've just. Had like 10x enough.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #155624 on: February 07, 2021, 05:54:28 am »

I want to hug people :(
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 10373 10374 [10375] 10376 10377 ... 11039