Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10375 10376 [10377] 10378 10379 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14554576 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #155640 on: February 07, 2021, 09:13:56 pm »

It's pretty fun to watch speedruns of stuff like that, ha. Play? Eeehhhh. Last time I was actually trying something like that, I was also hitting it with Battle Encoder Shirase to slow the thing down to like half speed or somethin'. Incidentally, if you're someone that enjoys that kind of thing conceptually but find it just moves too fast, there's totally programs these days that can slow things down to whatever point is comfortable for you.

But yeah, there's also some touhou platformers that are actually like pretty fair, apparently? Or so I hear. The fangame ecosystem for that thing has ranged pretty far. One of these days I might actually try the super robot wars ones :P

Dunno if I can remember the last pure platformer I've played, though. I'm down with the occasional metroidvania, but that's about my limit.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155641 on: February 07, 2021, 09:15:40 pm »

In my case, it's mostly patience. Just . . . lots . . . and lots . . . and lots of patience. I don't consider myself very good at games, I just get obliterated and am not worried about trying dozens of times before I succeed. It's not fun to watch and I'm probably not any fun to play with, but I finish the game eventually >:I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #155642 on: February 07, 2021, 09:34:49 pm »

It's definitely mostly persistence and time. I have finished I Wanna Be the Guy as a kid while as an adult I can't defeat Undyne the Undying in Undertale.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155643 on: February 07, 2021, 09:44:53 pm »

Yeah, I really like stuff like Cuphead because I can fit in lots of little failure/progress bites as a reward for doing something that I desperately don't want to do. Or when I've failed too many times and want to give up, playing a game like that with a lot of really localized failure helps, like "OK, you can't solve that problem right now, but here you are playing Cuphead, and you can remember when you had to try over and over again to figure out those bosses and how good it felt when you got it. Did you try to solve that problem 20 times? No? Maybe the 21st time will do it ..."

I was talking to an older guy in my program and he said that he had to fill literally 12 thick binders with scratchwork of being Very Very Wrong before he was ultimately successful. So in some ways I feel like playing needlessly punishing video games is part of the emotional training to succeed in PhD level research, heh. I definitely feel better about asking stupid questions after playing games I suck at.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #155644 on: February 07, 2021, 10:12:35 pm »

Tom Brady won his 7th SuperBowl, which makes him the team that’s won the most SuperBowls.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155645 on: February 07, 2021, 11:46:16 pm »

I dunno if I've gone too far down the rabbit hole or something, but I've noticed that my copy of avidemux seems to have swapped the definitions of U and V around in its "Remove Plane" filter.

See, it's supposed to go Y, U, V. More properly, it should be Y', Cb, Cr. Luma, chroma blue, and chroma red. I'll demonstrate with this 341x256 image of a parrot.

Photo by Mari Gimenez on Unsplash

If you tell avidemux to filter out the U and V planes, you get this. Perfectly normal; it's just a grayscale image.

The wackiness begins once you start removing just one of U or V.

Here's the original with only Y and "U":

Hold up, why is "U" red; isn't it supposed to be blueish? I think avidemux's drunk.

Here's Y and "V":

So avidemux has indeed swapped U and V in its filter.

How it manages to still work at all with this flaw in here, I don't know.

Here's what happens if you swap U and V:

This isn't a hue shift or anything; it's not possible to recover the original photo with yet another hue shift. Try it yourself, you're not gonna get the colors right. The best you can do here is a +120 degree hue shift, but now the leaves in the background are blue.

Yes, I installed the newest version of avidemux (2.7.6) for Windows, so this is an actual issue.

I think I need to stop. There's only so much knowledge I can snort at a time, and I'm really hitting my limit.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155646 on: February 08, 2021, 05:30:51 am »

What's the end game your shooting for with that anyway?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155647 on: February 08, 2021, 05:42:39 am »

Ah, that's a trick question. There is none. This is science for the sake of science. I mean, I could say it's some high-minded thing about advancing the field of databending, but that's implying I'll actually get results, which is a promise I refuse to keep.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155648 on: February 08, 2021, 07:16:34 am »

You are getting results and posting them here. Presumably, you could keep them instead and then use them for a thesis.

Also, I noticed that the last image is closer to the Y+"U" than the original. But perhaps I just misunderstood what you wrote.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #155649 on: February 08, 2021, 07:54:17 am »

I mean, I'm doing exploratory analysis, not explanatory analysis there. I'm trying all possible permutations of Audacity (+ its many filters), FFmpeg, GIMP (+ its many capabilities), avidemux, YUView and Irfanview hoping that if I put them together in the right order, I'll obtain viable and repeatable results. I'm not looking for art, I'm looking for potential image filters that produce consistent results.

The last time that happened, I ended up with
Code: [Select]
Irfanview (saving as RAW) -> FFmpeg (save to other color spaces) -> Audacity (apply wacky effects) -> FFmpeg (convert to readable format) -> Irfanview (convert to shareable format)

It's also symmetrical, which wasn't my intent, but I like to recycle tools whenever possible.

As of now, Audacity, FFmpeg, Irfanview and GIMP are the "core" set of tools, while the rest are "support" tools; tools to aid in visualizing what's going on.

I just noticed a discrepancy in how avidemux deals with YUV as compared to how everything else understands YUV. It's my research notes, nothing more. Here, it's "don't trust avidemux's definition of U and V; they're swapped if you use the x265 encoder". And I like the x265 encoder; I know there's a lossless mode. I think I really should be using FFmpeg to extract Y, U and V components, but I work on the Principle of Least Effort.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155650 on: February 08, 2021, 08:39:55 am »

Trying to find white duck eggs in the white snow during snow makes me hate everything about everything. I was cleaning literal 20cm icicles out of the quailhouse today.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #155651 on: February 08, 2021, 08:59:44 am »

Ducks don't use nestboxes?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #155652 on: February 08, 2021, 09:38:32 am »

As far as I understand, no birds will use nestboxes if they can annoy you by not doing it
Love, scriver~

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155653 on: February 08, 2021, 10:20:38 am »

a 20ish year old woman called me a "neo-nazi" in public for wearing knee-high combat boots

SHE THINKS IM A FASCIST BECAUSE OF FUCKING COMBAT BOOTS

these SJW's are out of control
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #155654 on: February 08, 2021, 11:02:10 am »

I thought doing that just made you a lesbian.
Pages: 1 ... 10375 10376 [10377] 10378 10379 ... 11039