Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should the game be open or locked on twilight phase?

Open.
- 4 (57.1%)
Locked.
- 3 (42.9%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: October 22, 2010, 02:25:09 am

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14

Author Topic: Vengeful Mafia 3 - Over, Mafia wins.  (Read 25550 times)

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
  • Boogie thinks you being confoosed.
    • View Profile
Re: Vengeful Mafia 3 - Day 1
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 04:01:19 am »

Are you srsly going to try Gambler's Fallacy on me? Srsly?

Eh, good point. Still, while I have unlimited faith in the Cosmic Equivalence Principle and the laws of Statistics, and I know intellectually that coins have no memory... if it lands ten tails in a row, I can't help but bet heads for the next flip. I know it's still 50-50, but can't help it...

So, if not for raw statistics, why aren't you scum? Or are you?
My soul has been freed by the King of the Mafia.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2010, 04:03:05 am »

...but I'm off. Way past my bedtime. We'll keep going tomorrow.

Also, Ottofar, is it possible to get rid of the poll now? It's eating half my screen. No big deal, but if possible, it's served its purpose.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2010, 04:26:46 am »

I am not scum because, based on my assumption of how Ottofar selects, he input two numbers successively into random.org and got other people's numbers rather than mine, Zathras.

Zathras, do you really feel these questions are helping?

(Reserving red in general until a suitable person to definitely vote is found)
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2010, 05:16:37 am »

...but I'm off. Way past my bedtime. We'll keep going tomorrow.

Also, Ottofar, is it possible to get rid of the poll now? It's eating half my screen. No big deal, but if possible, it's served its purpose.

I don't think so. At least I didn't see any way to do it. I could open another thread, though.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 09:10:04 am by Ottofar »

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2010, 09:30:25 am »

Meh. No. None were particularly helpful, but at least they get the conversation started, yes? Plus it was late, and I was really aching for a game since PYS ended. Nothing to do other than poke random people about random randomness... doesn't really help, but doesn't hurt either, eh?

I still want to hear JTF's answer to my RV question, though, and I didn't notice you or Archangel asking any yourselves... How's the game going to get started, if not by asking each other random stuff, formulaic or not? I have a hunch that Toony is scum, but without his talking at all yet, how am I to validate it? Let's ask him something, right?

So ToonyMan, who here would be your favourite scumbuddy & why?  (I hate the standard repetitive RV questions, but every time I get creative I'm dinged for their being unhelpful, useless, lame or extraneous to the game, so let's stick to the formula, then)... And would you rather kick a kitten or a puppy? (Hah! I sneaked a crazy one in!)

Ottofar: Nah, it doesn't bother me that much. If others are fine with it, so am I. Moving threads would be more of a hassle.

...gone for now, will be back later.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2010, 10:50:20 am »

Dude at least let me get home from school, you FoS'd me twice before I even made my first damn game post.

ToonyMan, you are never town; you are always scum. Why shouldn't we just hang you now and be done with it?
I am town, hanging me wouldn't help at this rate.

So ToonyMan, who here would be your favourite scumbuddy & why?  (I hate the standard repetitive RV questions, but every time I get creative I'm dinged for their being unhelpful, useless, lame or extraneous to the game, so let's stick to the formula, then)... And would you rather kick a kitten or a puppy? (Hah! I sneaked a crazy one in!)
Why Pandarsenic of course!  :3

Also I'm voting you Zathras.  You're probably the godfather.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2010, 11:40:51 am »

Zathras, how can you say
I have a hunch that Toony is scum, but without his talking at all yet, how am I to validate it?

What can such a hunch be based off of? From whence is it originated?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2010, 12:31:25 pm »

Good morning (more or less) everyone, let's lynch some scum!

Yes it's long, so sue me.  (Or don't.  I don't like being sued. :-\)

Posts are responded to in the order they were posted, so if my response has been invalidated by a later post, it's because I hadn't read the later post yet.

JanusTwoface, would you prefer the role of Godfather or Mafioso, and why?

Of those two, Godfather.  I have a tendency to get nightkilled (vengencekilled in this game I guess) rather than lynched.  Seems like it would be the safer bet for my hypothetical scumteam.

ToonyMan, you are never town; you are always scum. Why shouldn't we just hang you now and be done with it?

One gambler's falacy, coming right up.

Also if you're town and you make yourself look scummy by buddying/screening people and then I lynch you with the mafia and you flip town SO HELP ME GAWD I WILL KICK A KITTEN.

Not going to be a problem this time, because with only one other Mafia member, you wouldn't have enough to hammer, eh scum?

Archangel, are you a philosophy professor with the University of Walamaloo? Just kidding... How do you think your being so far away will affect the progress of the game?
I don't think it'll have much of an effect unless the game gets very active, however it is possible I might cause this to slow down a little.

I should sure hope you have an effect on the game.  With only 5 players, everyone's going to need to be active.

Inquiry:  When is your most active period on the forums (with time zone) so we know when you'll possibly be around to interact with?  (I knew insomnia could come in handy some time)

No, man, kick a puppy! Puppies suck! Kittens are good for huffing. Puppies, not so much. So Pandar, after two games as town, it's about the right time for you to roll scum, yes?

And Gambler's Falacy number two...  Interesting.  Add that to the fact that you've now evenly targeted all four non-you players (Gambler's on Toony and Pandar, opening RV on me, Walamaloo on Archangel) is making you look somewhat suspicious.

Eh, good point. Still, while I have unlimited faith in the Cosmic Equivalence Principle and the laws of Statistics, and I know intellectually that coins have no memory... if it lands ten tails in a row, I can't help but bet heads for the next flip. I know it's still 50-50, but can't help it...

It's actually 40-60 for being scum so not even a coin flip... And I like how you backed down immediately when called on the Fallacy.

I am not scum because, based on my assumption of how Ottofar selects, he input two numbers successively into random.org and got other people's numbers rather than mine, Zathra

Which anyone can say.  Not really a good reason for us not to assume you're scum.

I still want to hear JTF's answer to my RV question, though, and I didn't notice you or Archangel asking any yourselves... How's the game going to get started, if not by asking each other random stuff, formulaic or not? I have a hunch that Toony is scum, but without his talking at all yet, how am I to validate it? Let's ask him something, right?

So you've voted me twice now.  Why?

Right now Archangel and ToonyMan haven't really posted enough for a good read, Pandarsenic seems innocent enough (I never thought I'd say that), and Zathras seems the most scummy.  I'm not yet confident enough to put him at Hammer-1 though.

You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2010, 03:03:33 pm »

Why Pandarsenic of course!  :3
And the kitten vs. puppy? Bah, you guys are no fun.

Quote from: ToonyMan
Also I'm voting you Zathras.  You're probably the godfather.
Uhm... do you have any questions (if RV) or evidence (if actual suspicion) behind that vote?

Hold on... I'll use the ToonyMan Defence: "I am town, hanging me wouldn't help".

I have a hunch that Toony is scum, but without his talking at all yet, how am I to validate it?
What can such a hunch be based off of? From whence is it originated?

From my gastric region, between my pylorus and duodenum. As hunches often do, it has no behavioural basis yet; it's just a hunch, a non-specific feeling that a proposition approximates reality without evidence to support it. Once conversation gets flowing, it'll be tested and supported or discarded based on evidence. But I mean, look at 'im; he must be scum. He even smells like scum.

...more coming up.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2010, 03:33:32 pm »

What you've done so far, it's pretty anti-town to me.  You find every person in this game scummy before its hardly started (sooper defensive) and now you're being a hypocrite.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2010, 03:49:04 pm »

No, man, kick a puppy! Puppies suck! Kittens are good for huffing. Puppies, not so much. So Pandar, after two games as town, it's about the right time for you to roll scum, yes?
And Gambler's Falacy number two...  Interesting.
And another humourless git without an opinion on the important puppy vs. kitten question. Bah.

Add that to the fact that you've now evenly targeted all four non-you players (Gambler's on Toony and Pandar, opening RV on me, Walamaloo on Archangel) is making you look somewhat suspicious.
It's actually 40-60 for being scum so not even a coin flip... And I like how you backed down immediately when called on the Fallacy.

a) I asked a question (good or not) of everybody because I want to get everyone talking. Duh. I'm not trying to get reads on one person, I'm tried to get reads on four, so, four questions. Lame ones, sure, but got something out of everyone, which is good.

b) I backed down from the Gambler's Fallacy, because it was, indeed, a fallacious argument, which I didn't notice when I made the previous off-the-cuff comment.

c) The 50-50 coinflip is the canonical example of the fallacy, and the source of my remark. Even after ten tails in a row, the chances of head/tails on the eleventh are 50-50, but psychologically, one tends to bet heads.  Coins have no memory, but we do, and let ourselves be carried away by it sometimes.

I still want to hear JTF's answer to my RV question
So you've voted me twice now.  Why?
Not twice, just the once, and one reminder. I generally continue to colour my current target red (and my FoS target blue, hence ToonyMan's "you've FoS'd me twice"; no I didn't, same argument). This so people remember they are being voted/FoS'd even if I don't make "grrr answer my question dammit!!1!" posts, or no votecount posts are visible. You've answered my questions for now, so I unvote you (twice if you wish: unvote).

What you've done so far, it's pretty anti-town to me.  You find every person in this game scummy before its hardly started (sooper defensive) and now you're being a hypocrite.
Was that addressed to me or JTF? If to me: you lie. Only you I've called outright scummy (well, I did ask Pandar if it was time he rolled it). Everyone else, just random questions in RVS. I don't think I'm being particularly defensive, and I certainly don't see any hypocrisy in my posts.

By the way, you didn't answer my previous question: why are you voting me without either evidence or questions? I find your vote suspicious, and reeking of OMGUS for "FoSsing you twice before you came back from school". Or was that statement supposed to be your evidence? Sorry, evidence is supposed to be based on fact. Since I have a hunch that you are scum, and nothing in your behaviour strikes me as either town, truthful or consistent, I vote ToonyMan. You use the attention my questions have garnered to hurl lies into the thread and hope they stick.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
Re: Vengeful Mafia 3 - Day 1 -I'm gonna go sleep right now. Yeah.
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2010, 03:58:30 pm »

Dogs and Cats.
In other news

Votecount!
Archangel - (0)
JanusTwoface - (0)
Pandarsenic - (0)

ToonyMan - Zathras (1)
Zathras - ToonyMan (1)

Not voting - Archangel, JanusTwoface, Pandarsenic, (3)

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2010, 04:20:51 pm »

Irregardless of scummitude, Zatharas has a good point.  Who was this directed at?

In either case, examples.  Yelling "you're scum" without evidence is a scummy trick with the hope that people will believe you without doing their homework.

And another humourless git without an opinion on the important puppy vs. kitten question. Bah.

If you tried to kick my cat, you'd find yourself sans foot; so I saw it as neither particularly relevant nor a particularly interesting choice.

a) I asked a question (good or not) of everybody because I want to get everyone talking. Duh. I'm not trying to get reads on one person, I'm tried to get reads on four, so, four questions. Lame ones, sure, but got something out of everyone, which is good.

You're trying to lead the town.  That's generally a scummy thing to do.  If you're town, there are two other townies also trying to find scum.  You're far more likely to find scum if you focus on a few people.

Granted, some lead no matter if they're scum or town, but the only game I've been in with you was the last Wizard Duel.  You have the same leading feel that you did then (when you were scum).  I wish I hadn't died before you replaced in though.

b) I backed down from the Gambler's Fallacy, because it was, indeed, a fallacious argument, which I didn't notice when I made the previous off-the-cuff comment.

You didn't notice it was a Gambler's Fallacy?

c) The 50-50 coinflip is the canonical example of the fallacy, and the source of my remark. Even after ten tails in a row, the chances of head/tails on the eleventh are 50-50, but psychologically, one tends to bet heads.  Coins have no memory, but we do, and let ourselves be carried away by it sometimes.

That's in a perfect world.  In the real world, coins are rarely perfectly 50-50.  If you have a coin flipping heads 10 times in a row, it's probably not a perfectly balanced coin.  Theoretically at least your point does apply to who's scum though.  True randomness is hard.

Not twice, just the once, and one reminder. I generally continue to colour my current target red (and my FoS target blue, hence ToonyMan's "you've FoS'd me twice"; no I didn't, same argument). This so people remember they are being voted/FoS'd even if I don't make "grrr answer my question dammit!!1!" posts, or no votecount posts are visible. You've answered my questions for now, so I unvote you (twice if you wish: unvote).

Playstyle thing.  Got it.  You're probably the first person I've seen do it on purpose.

Zathras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »

Irregardless of scummitude, Zatharas has a good point.  Who was this directed at?
In either case, examples.  Yelling "you're scum" without evidence is a scummy trick with the hope that people will believe you without doing their homework.

Rereading, it seems it was indeed directed at me, and intended as response to "why are you voting me". He did jump to the opportunity of saying "I find everyone scummy", which is factually untrue, plus two subjective arguments. I say this is an attempt to capitalise the attention my supposed scummitude is getting, to turn those into votes based on false pretences. That is a horribly scummy thing to do. Lynch all liers.

You're trying to lead the town.  That's generally a scummy thing to do.  If you're town, there are two other townies also trying to find scum.  You're far more likely to find scum if you focus on a few people.
Granted, some lead no matter if they're scum or town, but the only game I've been in with you was the last Wizard Duel.  You have the same leading feel that you did then (when you were scum).  I wish I hadn't died before you replaced in though.

Uhm... I think you have me mistaken for someone else. I didn't play in any WD, and I do think this is our first common game. In any case, yeah, I have a generally inquisitive mind and verbose style, so my conversations tend to garner the spotlight often in my games, regardless of alignment. Call it another playstyle thing, if you wish. And I'm not trying to lead, I'm just trying to do my thing. But if there's only one or three people doing it, they seem to "lead" due to others' complacency... somewhat like in real life.  8-/

You didn't notice it was a Gambler's Fallacy?
Not at the time. For context, it was well after midnight, and in the same thought process that engendered the puppy question:
...yeah. Pandar may very well be scum, but as far as questions go, that one wasn't high on neuron content. But let the record show that I'm on the "puppies suck" side.

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2010, 04:41:39 pm »

Uhm... I think you have me mistaken for someone else. I didn't play in any WD, and I do think this is our first common game. In any case, yeah, I have a generally inquisitive mind and verbose style, so my conversations tend to garner the spotlight often in my games, regardless of alignment. Call it another playstyle thing, if you wish. And I'm not trying to lead, I'm just trying to do my thing. But if there's only one or three people doing it, they seem to "lead" due to others' complacency... somewhat like in real life.  8-/

Uh... yeah.  My mistake.  Have you (relatively recently) replaced into a game?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14