Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: First Cavern  (Read 2563 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: First Cavern
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 11:00:32 am »

I spent a few days building every single cage and attaching them to a single lever (I ended up with, like, 15 mechanic dwarves)

I wonder how you managed to link them to a single lever in only a few days. Your mechanics can only link one cage to a lever at once, not many simultaneously. So there should only be one dwarf linking, and one or two others pumping mechanisms. But not 15!

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 11:14:01 am »

I spent a few days building every single cage and attaching them to a single lever (I ended up with, like, 15 mechanic dwarves)

I wonder how you managed to link them to a single lever in only a few days.
real world days (playing for only an hour or two a day, however)
and I just set a bunch of dwarves with mechanic on and set 'attach to cage' on repeat
didn't pay too much attention to it
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2010, 12:05:48 pm »

and I just set a bunch of dwarves with mechanic on and set 'attach to cage' on repeat
didn't pay too much attention to it

That's . . . that's . . . wait a minute.  Wouldn't that mean your dwarves repeat the same link command over and over?  So you'd have hundreds of links to the same cage?  So pulling the lever told the computer to open the cage so hard its neutrons got a tan?

--Rexfelum

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2010, 02:04:53 pm »

no, once a cage is attached to the lever (or any building for that matter), it is removed from the possible links, so it just moves onto the next one.  It is impossible to link a lever to a building multiple times.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Rexfelum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 09:45:32 am »

no, once a cage is attached to the lever (or any building for that matter), it is removed from the possible links, so it just moves onto the next one.  It is impossible to link a lever to a building multiple times.

Okay, good.  So, the next question would be: how does it choose the mechanisms to use on subsequent links?  Since you manually pick the mechanisms for the first one, I wouldn't have thought the code could proceed without human interaction after that point.

--Rexfelum

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 10:21:36 am »

I...

I did not know this.

So many wasted hours.

Victuz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 11:19:23 am »

Damn I wish my first caves were so deep down (42 z levels is deeeep). I usually find them about 8-10 layers underground and they have an annoying tendency of destroying my plans for bedrooms (I plan the whole huge thing and than when my miners finally start digging into it it turns out half of it is useless since there is a DAMN CAVE in there ruining it. Than I produce glass and turn the bedrooms into a nice meeting area with glass walls overlooking the caves.

Honestly though if you don't get an invincible FB those caves are not really that dangerous. Annoying at times, yes. Dangerous... not so much.
I once flung a migrant off a bridge. He collided with the brook cliff and died.
A year later, my legendary engraver engraved him colliding with an obstacle and dying.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 11:26:48 am »

no, once a cage is attached to the lever (or any building for that matter), it is removed from the possible links, so it just moves onto the next one.

Windmills do not work that way!!

Go try to put a link command on repeat and see what happens. 

Instead of the dwarf going on to the next available cage, you get spammed with hundreds* of 'Urist McMechanic cancels link whatever, no mechanism for target' or something along those lines, while pulling your fps into the dirt and slowing the game to a crawl until you cancel the task...

* when I say hundreds, I mean hundreads per second...  last time I tried this I got nearly 700 messages in about 2 seconds.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 11:46:11 am by gtmattz »
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

mr_seeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 11:59:16 am »

Well, I usually embark in "calm" enviroments, only to notice that the real "danger" comes from hundreds of stupid Trogdolytes, blind cave moles, an evil big T resembling a fire breathing forgotten beast, and who knows what else...

The surface however only houses some several foxes, goblins and kobolds  >:(

Fisher-Risen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 12:41:53 pm »

Dang... My fortress is at Population: 72 and i haven't encountered ANY of this. But a cyclops did rampage and a giant attacked. but no goblins, kobolds or caverns for me. No Ambushes either.
Quote from: Veok
"I had a great fortress going on until Leonidas kicked open the door to my clown car, but my blue suede shoes weren't ready, so Uncle Sam and his friends went to town on my tax returns."

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 04:49:21 pm »

Just find some spot you can close off later and dig straight down. If you are unlucky the first thing you hit will be semi molten rock but there's a pretty small chance of missing everything. Go back up to the top and dig down again but like ten tiles away if you must.

*Click with the mouse and hold it down while you scroll through z levels to avoid demon possessed wrist syndrome.

If you generated a world with 4 complete edge oceans expect 80-120 levels to the bottom, if you generated a normal region expect more like 50.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Fisher-Risen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2010, 07:03:00 am »

Alright. I'll try it on my newest fortress. took a break from my other one because once population hit 100, the lag got annoying.
Quote from: Veok
"I had a great fortress going on until Leonidas kicked open the door to my clown car, but my blue suede shoes weren't ready, so Uncle Sam and his friends went to town on my tax returns."

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2010, 12:50:50 pm »

Come on, 5 FPS isn't that bad...

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 12:54:38 pm »

If you set your Dwarves to [SPEED:0] or [SPEED:1] it's actually not, but otherwise, I prefer like 100+.
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 03:07:43 pm »

If you set your Dwarves to [SPEED:0] or [SPEED:1] it's actually not, but otherwise, I prefer like 100+.

I have a completely unmodded game. I don't care what you prefer.  8)
Pages: 1 [2] 3