Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: First Cavern  (Read 2575 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: First Cavern
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2010, 04:15:06 pm »

In extension of the OP I just hit my first cavern right through with my main stairwell. All I've seen are regular cave sprider webs (sweet I've never had them before) and some kind of underground bovine like grazer. Am I about to experience fun?
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

personofshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2010, 04:30:38 pm »

You could just make a door, that'll keep most things out unless you get something like a troll or a cave crocodile since they're building destroyers, but a door set to closed tightly will keep most of those other pests out.

Funny story though, my mayor apparently decided he wanted to be a big game hunter since he had the hunting skill active, and after killing the alligators outside he went into the caves and tried to hunt a GCS.

Suffice to say we needed a hasty election to fill the position afterwards

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2010, 05:19:55 pm »

I did this as well.  Got about 8 levels down and a channel hit the first cavern.  I canceled the other dig orders and walled off that one opening since its just barely winter of the first year, and my four-dwarf militia knows which is the pointy end but not really how to use their weapons (and I haven't made armor) yet.  Thankfully nothing pathed in while I did this, though I stationed my speardwarves at the opening, just to be safe.

The problem is I'm going to be forced to either import flux stones, or "sneak" past the caves to find the marble layer the embark screen claimed was the fourth layer down.  I hit the third layer (gabbro) a z-level above the caves, so I've got iron weapons right now, and the visible caves do not include any marble.  grrrrr
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]