Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: First Cavern  (Read 2613 times)

electromagneticpulse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First Cavern
« on: October 13, 2010, 06:03:20 am »

Okay I've finally mined around enough to find my first cavern, and it's 42 Z-levels. How dead am I? I'm in a serene area, but I haven't prepared my military yet so seriously, what are my chances? Should I be flooding the place, collapsing my tunnel or what?

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Cavern
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 06:09:17 am »

The first one is generally safe enough. If your worried you can build walls to block it up till you get troops though.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 06:12:16 am »

Build a wall, finished. Flooding also drowns your FPS and a cave-in that actually seals the cave is very hard to create. See the wiki on cave-ins.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 06:55:51 am »

Troglodytes can be a pain in the ass if they run up your staircases and beat half your dwarves to death with their BEAR HANDS. Have a military member or two stationed (if you can get stationing to work properly, my schedule fu is very weak) around the entrance at all times.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

candylord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 07:15:30 am »

... Bear hands?
Oh shit, we really are screwed
Statistically, one in twenty of us live next door to a pedophile. Not me though, I live next door to a stunning pair of seven year olds

Drakeero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 10:38:10 am »

I think I had a cave crocodile burst out of my first cavern and slaughter my fortress from 78 down to 23 dwarves before it crawled into a corner and got walled off.
Cage traps are my magma.

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 11:05:29 am »

Yeah, trogs are all

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2010, 12:05:35 pm »

Be aware that you can find Giant Cave Spiders in the first cavern.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2010, 12:59:27 pm »

Be mindful of what animals are around just like when you embark on savage tundras or evil swamps. Check the wildlife in the u screen periodically and when you see a new animal go over and v check it. z into it's description then judge how dangerous it is based on that and it's name.
"A tiny underground monster with large claws and horns." = Only about as dangerous as deer what with their large antlers (horns?) "In place of a head, it has an enormous toothy maw." probably gonna want a nice axe and set of armor or three.

Set up some burrows that cover your indoors space and create and alert for civilians to stay in that burrow.
*Alerts are handled through the (m)ilitary screen. The default two don't really mean much. You need to select one and hit enter to set civilians to it but this won't do anything if you haven't arrowed over to the burrows column and assigned that burrow to that alert.

You should have at least a year before you need to worry about anything that will actively try to get into your fort (you know, like kobolds and megabeasts do above ground) so other than that it's pretty much just like groundhogs and wolves down there- the groundhogs may annoy your workers enough to make them cancel jobs and the wolves you'll need to stay away from or send dudes with weapons off to kill.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2010, 04:09:15 pm »

Naked Mole Dogs = underground Rhesus Macaques. God help you if they get INSIDE the fortress, I had to abandon due to an infestation.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2010, 04:55:43 pm »

Instead of stationing dwarves, it's usually sufficient for me to place a war dog or two at the entrance (3 or 4 strays, I would guess)
they repel crundles and trogs well, though some of the larger game is harder to keep out, so a few cage traps never hurt.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2010, 09:14:45 pm »

I find it convenient to drop an armor stand in the caverns and make a barracks, so I've usually got some incidental military down there near the fortress entrance.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 09:27:16 pm »

Cage traps take care of most of the smaller first cavern beasts, and captured animals form an interesting addition to any fort.

I had this last fortress, and captured over a hundred crundles, trogs, and plump helmet men.  My downfall was trying to drown them all in magma, at the same time...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 10:42:11 am »

I had this last fortress, and captured over a hundred crundles, trogs, and plump helmet men.

this gets me every time
I once had near a thousand captured cavern creatures (plus goblins) and I spent a few days building every single cage and attaching them to a single lever (I ended up with, like, 15 mechanic dwarves) and a floodgate that led to magma, but when I finished and pulled it, all the pathing dropped my fps to negatives and it crashed :(
EDIT: my god, that was a terrible typo; I need to start proof reading these things.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 10:47:14 am by ISGC »
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 10:45:58 am »

I had this last fortress, and captured over a hundred crundles, trogs, and plump helmet men.

this gets me every time
I once had near a thousand captured cabin creatures (plus goblins)
Cabin creatures? I didn't know furniture came to life.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.
Pages: [1] 2 3