Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Up for a sudden rush of gaming perspective?  (Read 3925 times)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
Re: Up for a sudden rush of gaming perspective?
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2010, 04:36:53 pm »

Half your enemies in Battlefront 2 are just attack robots or genetic clones with a lifespan of around 10 years, anyways, so it's really no worse than working at a slaughterhouse. In fact, it's better, because you have to choose between your life and theirs.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »

Half your enemies in Battlefront 2 are just attack robots or genetic clones with a lifespan of around 1 0 years second after they see a non-redshirt character.
Fixed.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2010, 04:49:04 pm »

Sure, but I meant their natural life expectancy, if, for some reason, we didn't shoot them. According to Wookiepedia, some of them are aging 20 times as fast as a normal human, live for 1/20th the time as a result.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2010, 04:56:18 pm »

On the other hand, how long will a battledroid live if you don't shoot it?  I mean, sure, most of them can't find their way out of an empty room (which really calls their utility as soldiers into question), but they can probably kick around a while if left to their own devices.  Not that I care or anything, I'd kill them all out of principle.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 05:01:18 pm »

Sure, but I meant their natural life expectancy, if, for some reason, we didn't shoot them. According to Wookiepedia, some of them are aging 20 times as fast as a normal human, live for 1/20th the time as a result.
Interesting... The clones in the campaign mode of battlefront 2 supposedly go from the early clone wars through to the end of the rebellion... Yay retcons! :D

As for battle droids, I can't seem to find a reference for a power supply unit anywhere... Which means they must run on the pure power of handwaverium generators which always work precisely as long as needed.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 05:08:05 pm by alway »

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2010, 06:14:48 pm »

The first batch only aged at twice the speed. But once they really started to need a lot of them, they popped them out really fast and had them grow at 20 times the speed so they could get them on the battlefield as soon as possible.

Also, battle droids are just robots, so who cares. Don't even bring the debate in the other thread into this. Star Wars makes it very clear that it is fine for Jedis to carve through droids for little to no reason, but not to carve through people.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2010, 06:16:41 pm »

The droids cracked jokes to each other.

That puts you into not killing territory.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2010, 06:20:10 pm »

Easy answer is that the droids were programmed with a set of witty one-liners applicable to a variety of situations, in order to intimidate enemies.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2010, 06:21:42 pm »

What.

I really don't think that the programmers for a advanced AI were That bored.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2010, 06:36:08 pm »

What.

I really don't think that the programmers for a advanced AI were That bored.
You have to admit though, if you were a droid programmer, you would do it too.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2010, 06:38:36 pm »

They do stuff like this in Star Wars novels all the time (I know, I'm a Sci-Fi and Fantasy Librarian). They even described sounds in space as having been manufactured by a computer inside the cockpit to make it more psycholigically acceptable to the pilot (after all, nothing will break you more than NOT being able to hear your buddy get torn apart by laser beams).

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2010, 06:52:31 pm »

The real question is, why the heck do they talk in the same language as everyone else? If they tell jokes, shouldn't they be in some sort of hyper-efficient verbal machine language, if not short-range radio of some sort? Building soldiers whose motives are entirely clear to everyone being shot at isn't exactly the best idea. It's like if American soldiers in Afganistan shouted "FLANKING ENEMY ON THE LEFT!" in Arabic every time they were going to do said maneuver.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 06:56:12 pm »

They do that during wargames, anyway. I imagine it's not too easy to figure out what they're saying when they're shooting at you and your teammates are also barking orders.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2010, 09:23:58 am »

For the lifespan of a droid, there was an episode of the Clone Wars cartoon where Anakin and Obi-Wan went to the Angels' homeworld which the Seperatists had taken over as a dumping grounds for obsolete droids, ships, etc., and the droids were mostly still operational after several years. On the other hand, some kid managed reprogram himself an entire army of droids and starfighters for kicks, so he probably recharged them at some point. However, since the regular battle droids were built using the cheapest materials available so they could built en masse at low cost, I doubt they would last any longer than the clones before deterioration set in.

I think it was the later droids that started cracking jokes, the early ones(Episode I-ish) were mostly all business, even if they were bad at it("I need to take these people to Coruscant." "TO WHERE?" "To Coruscant." "DOES NOT COMPUTE. OH WAIT, YOU'RE UNDER ARREST."). Besides, their humor was so bad they deserved to blown up anyway.

They do stuff like this in Star Wars novels all the time (I know, I'm a Sci-Fi and Fantasy Librarian). They even described sounds in space as having been manufactured by a computer inside the cockpit to make it more psycholigically acceptable to the pilot (after all, nothing will break you more than NOT being able to hear your buddy get torn apart by laser beams).
They do that in Shattered Horizon as well. Turn off your suit(or get hit with an EMP grenade) and everything goes quiet.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 13, 2010, 09:39:34 am »

I feel no sorrow for arbitrarily evil enemies in childish media.  They're arbitrarily evil.  I'm sure they did something bad.

Meanwhile in the real world, where ever there is a war you will find mostly innocent people killing mostly innocent people.  Sometimes for good reasons, sometimes for really bad ones.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4