Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Up for a sudden rush of gaming perspective?  (Read 3915 times)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
Re: Up for a sudden rush of gaming perspective?
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 11:19:14 pm »

If the designers didn't want me to kill innocent bystanders, they shouldn't have made them walk on sidewalks.  Or allowed me to cheat boats into existence above people's heads.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 11:47:29 pm »

If the designers didn't want me to kill innocent bystanders, they shouldn't have made them walk on sidewalks.  Or allowed me to cheat boats into existence above people's heads.
"Enemy boat spotted!"
"Oh god another one of those guys, spamming enemy boats right on top of our guys."
"Enemy boat spotted!"
"Enemy boat spotted!"
"We're losing this battle, start fighting or I'll find someone who can!"
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 01:09:08 am »

In Grand Theft Auto 4, when you use the boat cheat code, the boat appears at a certain height above the ground and falls.  You can crush anyone with it, including police, and nobody knows it's you :)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 01:55:46 am »

you can do that in Red Alert 2 too
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 04:09:00 am »

Console cheats like that were great in Deus Ex too.  There was one in particular that just spawned a whole mob of whatever you specified, including actors.  The first time I figured this out was in Hong Kong - suddenly an army of hookers appears out of thin air, they all drop into the canals and drown in a couple seconds, with a horrifying discordant chorus of glubbing and screaming.

So I did it a few more times.  Hey, on top of being hookers and therefore at the very bottom of the murder-victim-importance algorithm, I literally conjured them into existence a few seconds ago.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 05:56:33 am »

Meh. I hang out with pretentious indie gamers all the time, and I get more and more annoyed by this perspective.

If a player is told to do something, they will. It's the objective of the game, they play the game to achieve the objective, and if you don't give them some pacifistic choice like Iji, Execution, or hell, Dwarf Fortress does.. and hint to the player that it's possible to win that way, then nobody's going to feel any guilt over anything.

If you are morally opposed to killing innocent piranha plants and goombas, then find some hippy game where you don't have to kill anything.

Lol, sorry, but I get riled up when someone makes a game where they judge you of immoral for shooting aliens, then deletes your files for it. Or where you play as a soldier, then it slaps you with some 'surprise ending' where it turns out that you were a Nazi killing Jews. OOC attacks for IC actions.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 10:00:43 am »

In quite a lot of platformy type games, I guess you don't really have to kill anything other than bosses (think Mario).

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 10:37:11 am »

Bah platform gamers have it easy, killing only a few minions working for some criminal.

We strategy gamers get to oversee the deaths of thousands, ours and enemies, most of them ripped from their families to fight in a war they probably don't even believe in, dying for the ambitions of the few.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 10:37:33 am »

There was one in particular that just spawned a whole mob of whatever you specified, including actors.
I was just wishing I could do that IRL yesturday.
Spawnmass Hooker1

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 12:16:19 pm »

In the area of pacifism, not too many games reward you with something awesome for being one like Iji did. Being good, or not killing everything in sight isn't rewarding enough; I hate to say.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 12:34:56 pm »

It's true.  Pacifism has its own rewards but if my cursed obsidian blade doesn't drink deep the blood of true warriors it will turn to me for sustenance.
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 03:17:01 pm »

On *Insert Date Here* X lives were lost here.

I really really want to see that in games.  Just so I can say I killed or caused the death of this many people 'here'.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 03:24:28 pm »

Some games do that. L4D(2) shows "<x> zombies were harmed in the making of this film" or something at the end of a campaign. WeWantYOU periodically shows your kills stats as you go, as well as at your eulogy(along with the name of your family members who have to get along without you now), but it perceives them as evil-and-deserves-to-die anyway.

On the whole, I don't think about it. Generally, they are trying to kill me, and I'm not exactly about to roll over and play dead because I might feel bad about hurting the guy trying to do me in(Iji excluded, of course).
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2010, 03:26:59 pm »

I really really want to see that in games.  Just so I can say I killed or caused the death of this many people 'here'.
Starwars Battlefront 2 had something like that for 'career kills.' I had 100,000 by the time I switched to my new computer. That's 10% the size of the Rwandan genocide.  :-[

But yeah, most single-player heavy FPS's show kill stats if you look hard enough.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2010, 03:36:38 pm »

Starwars Battlefront 2 had something like that for 'career kills.' I had 100,000 by the time I switched to my new computer. That's 10% the size of the Rwandan genocide.  :-[

But yeah, most single-player heavy FPS's show kill stats if you look hard enough.
I generally mean RPGs and stuff.  FPS doesn't carry the same weight....  all you do is kill.
Though, L4D...  is an exception, since it is story-ish and episodic.  Has somewhat of a point.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4