Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarven D-Cell  (Read 4209 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Dwarven D-Cell
« on: October 05, 2010, 07:42:25 am »

I've designed a Dwarven D-Cell: A minimalistic walled-in container which lets one dwarf survive indefinitely.
Top:
SSS>
SSS1
SSS2

Bottom:
~~3<
~~3θ
~~πT

S: Still
~: Plump Helmet Plot
1: Seeds Pile
2: Booze Pile
3: Food Pile

Needs:
4 Barrels
1 Bag with Plump Helmet Spawn
Table
Chair
Bed
7 Building Materials

This is a 3x4x2 cell with minimalistic Dwarf Support. After construction, a single dwarf is assigned to the container and gets the Farming and Brewing labors (perhaps also Engraving).
The field is irrigated by channeling out the six tiles over the field and designating six pond zones over them. Then the floor is reconstructed and the Still is built over.
Finally, the dwarf is sealed inside and left to himself (save for the Brew Drink orders).

This design can be expanded to include a workshop/forge/etc. and in/out stockpiles with airlocks.

Any comments/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven D-Cell
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:47:10 am »

The booze is gonna need barrels to put it in.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 08:13:57 am »

Could you not do it with a 2x2x1 cell?

Top:
O~

Bottom:

O: Well
~: Plump Helmet Plot
7: Water

They would probably go slower and slower due to lack of alcohol and end up depressed but probably won't die, the single farm should give plenty of food for one dwarf and the seeds after eating are in a handy place to be replanted :)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 08:21:17 am »

I believe eventually your dwarf will refuse to eat plump helmets or drink dwarven wine if that's all you have. Perhaps this would be more feasible with an above ground farm? Then you could give him two nearly-identical-but-just-different-enough-to-count plants: wild strawberries and fisher berries.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:31:23 am »

probably some masterwork bed or engravings could help balancing bad thoughts and preventing !!MADNESS!!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:54:26 am »

he'd die during mood.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 08:55:35 am »

Not if there aren't enough dwarves to allow a mood, or if he already made an artifact, which you might as well throw in with him.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 08:59:33 am »

Aboveground farms are a good idea. I will have to breach the surface, but this can be reduced if I build the D-cells all over another. Then I can also change the layout to 7x3x1 and greatly reduce the channeling needed.

BBBπθτ~
BBB231~
BBB23~~

Needs 1 extra barrel.
EDIT: 2 bags with fisher berry/wild strawberry seeds instead of the plump helmet spawn bag.

The booze is gonna need barrels to put it in.

I have 4 barrels in the ingredients list.

I thought of this as a method to recover from Fun, and yes, moods would be serious. Even so, I will only pack the ex-posessed dwarves and some other useless ones.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 09:10:00 am by MagmaMcFry »

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 10:21:27 am »

I believe eventually your dwarf will refuse to eat plump helmets or drink dwarven wine if that's all you have.
Nah, dwarves will get negative thoughts about drinking the same old booze after they've had it five times in a row (if it's not a booze that they prefer) but they won't actively avoid eating/drinking the same old crap they've been having for years if there are no other options.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 10:40:31 am »

I believe eventually your dwarf will refuse to eat plump helmets or drink dwarven wine if that's all you have.
Nah, I've had a fortress that survived for 5 years without any depressions with just wild strawberry wine (or whatever that is called).

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 10:47:40 am »

You know, the basic design would be good for a disaster shelter. Build a few of these throughout the fortress, possibly expanded a bit to accomodate several dwarves at a time, designate them as the 'burrow' (not really tried that system out yet, but if memory serves you can designate multiple separate areas as one burrow) where civilians go during an alert, and potentially save many lives in the event of catastrophic flooding or a cave-in.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Diacritic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 11:41:32 am »

You should find a way to pump in the liquefied remains of other dwarves, and then find a way to extract the excess body heat for running screw pumps.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 12:51:15 pm »

Just remember they get a happy thought based on quality and preference of the booze.  That can cancel out the bad thought of having the same old booze.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 01:02:54 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 08:49:37 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2010, 01:09:23 pm »

Juuust one problem with the original design: you can't build workshops over floors. Bridges yes, traps I think so, but not workshops.
Pages: [1] 2 3