Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 31.13: I've 320 z-levels. Wtf?  (Read 2617 times)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
31.13: I've 320 z-levels. Wtf?
« on: September 23, 2010, 05:51:36 am »

So, uhm... I just generated my first 31.13 world. A pocket island. The only change I did to the world_gen parameters was to increase the Volcano_Min:

[VOLCANO_MIN:20]

I do have several mods in my raw/objects folder, if that has an effect on this world_gen.

It did immediately generate an island.

I looked at the volcanoes, and I almost immediately found a very interesting looking geological formation: A volcano without mountains surrounding it. Its own elevation did show as "high", while the area surrounding it did  show as having a blue or dark blue elevation. But nevermind. These "magma pipes" always make me feeling all warm and tingly inside, so I embarked immediately and had a look. It's on the main island as well.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I was greeted by this sight:

Quite remarkably in itself, I suppose, but at least it wasn't one of the early DF2010's volcanoes without any terrain around the obsidian wall, right?

However, please take notes now.

The magma's surface is in z=148.

The terrain surrounding the magma pipe is shaped like a very sharp peak, getting smaller in diameter further up, with a hole in the middle. The topmost part of this peak is in z=210.

That's a peak of 62 z-levels. Right in the middle of a more or less plain-alike area.

Awesome in itself, but if you go further up until you hit the sky, you're in z=294.

That's 84 z-levels above the topmost terrain. The game itself seems to believe that it is only 15 z-levels above the topmost surface, for no reasons that I can fathom. It only believes that if the cursor is above this volcano peak though; otherwise it realizes that it's 154 z-levels above the surface.

So, looking at the bottom, hell is in z=-26.

I revealed the map, and there are all three cavern layers; none of them has any extreme heights.

So, okay, z=-26 up to z=294; that's a map with 320 z-levels, half of which are just sky.

I suppose that the map is telling me something about a giant globe of green glass blocks that needs to be constructed in the sky, but I am wondering if this is normal for 30_13? Or do I need to clean up my mods a little bit?

Oh, here's the seed:
[SEED:3339017792]

Ah, and a bit further to the west is an aquifer. So the map is playable after all; I don't like to have to poke the cavern lakes for my water supply for the farms. Or more like: for my lakes that I tend to construct in the middle of the magma sea.

No sedimentary rocks or flux though. Some hematite, but no way to make coal instead of cutting down trees.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:32:54 pm by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: 31_13: I've 320 z-levels. Wtf?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2010, 05:55:54 am »

This is a very interesting map. I'll see if I get the same thing.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2010, 05:58:14 am »

i genned a 31.13 map which created almost exactly the same shaped volcano. I'd increased the volcano min and slightly increased min volcanism.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2010, 06:07:04 am »

Not getting the same thing here so maybe something in your mods altered your world gen a bit.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2010, 06:13:51 am »

Yes, that's quite possible. The mods added a bunch of new reactions: Library mod, a mod to weave hair into silk, and some other stuff.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Mechanist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2010, 06:16:34 am »

i have got something similar on .12 but no so sharp, just like a very enclimbed mountain of 60 or so z-levels
was an horrid place to embark, supposed "woodland" terrain was just a lot of up/down ramps... almost no trees, or space for workshops (was doing a DIY embark) so i used the only 3*3 space in 30 xyz-levels to start.
12 or so trees in a 3*3 embark squares...  even i think that the embark wagon was auto decontructed by this fact... all the nice things i have carried to start here where all spread over (the brown thing)

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2010, 06:29:54 am »

Sounds nice, Mechanist. ;)

I've had something as you describe it in .12 as well. Only that the magma's surface was at the top of that peak. It was also horrible to embark on, because I hadn't brought much more than some cats and a pickaxe, and well, the promised aquifer below the adjacent ocean turned out to be frozen, and the caverns were completely dry. I just couldn't stand the idea of having my dwarves have to live on a diet of prickle berries and longland grass - the only shrubs that seemed to grow there. And I wasn't ingenious enough to utilize the magma to melt a bit of the ocean water to get some mud.

The differences to this mad peak here are that this peak is just covering exactly one of the 3x3 embark tiles, and that the game believes that it's necessary to have ~80ish additional z-levels above the topmost part of the peak, instead of the usual 15 z-levels.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2010, 06:45:30 am »

Embarking on these 'mountainless' volcanos tends to get you that sort of crazy elevations. It adds the same elevations a normal volcano has, except that you can embark on it. So if your unlucky and the crater is right on top of the peak of the volcano, you get monster z-level count.

Also, mods shouldnt cause worldgen geology to bug. If you messed up the mods you can get weird civs, stone layers, creatures, etc. but it shouldnt cause any weirdness in volcanos. Mods do throw off randomisation a bit, so you might get a similar site only with different savagery, evil and whatnot without the mods. Its actualy useful, you can re-randomise stone layers by changing their order in the raws.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2010, 06:59:27 am »

Oh, but flat volcanoes do still exist. Quite commonly so in 31.13, it seems... On that pocket island was a really flat volcano on the island where you can see an abandoned fortress of mine. I also generated another pocket island with  lower temperatures and I found 1 really flat volcano there as well. The sample is not big enough to say it for certain, but that seems to be more common than in 31.12.

The best flat volcano I've seen yet was in 31.12: It was directly on the beach. Ocean water directly next to it for your obsidian farming needs. Only the monkeys, elves, humans and goblins became sort of a pain after a few years. I was always under siege because the hostile elves had slaughtered yet another human diplomat.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 07:26:49 am »

The same weirdness with volcanoes has happened as well with me. I usually crank up the number of minimum volcanoes which gives some error about not enough mountain ranges but it's ignorable.
So You've got this volcano jutting out of a mountain and some more layers above it form a caldera of some sort with a number of Z-levels extra and though I've never counted the difference, this seems a bit excessive. Volcanoes that come out perfectly level with a plain are possible but rare in my experience. You only did minimum volcanoes at 20? I take 100 for the hell of it :)
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2010, 07:30:53 am »

Ah, I get these 87 z-levels of extra sky now.

After I generated a couple of more pocket islands, I found these peaks on 1x1 tiles extremely common for some reasons. The special thing about this peak here is that the magma pipe is in the middle of the peak instead of adjacent to it. If the magma pipe wouldn't be there, the peak would be ~70 z-levels higher than it is now.

A peak of 70+60 z-levels? The map is a bit crazy, I think.

I didn't set the "periodically remove extreme cliffs" to "no", did I?

Yes, just 20 volcanoes. world_gen did throw too many errors at 30 volcanoes. Keep in mind that this is a pocket island, so 100 would almost cover the entire map.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 07:33:29 am by Lytha »

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 07:36:20 am »

If you want people to be able to duplicate your map, you need to supply the whole worldgen block and not just the seed.  There may be some settings that aren't used in combination with the seed(s) but I doubt it, I'm fairly sure any differing setting = different map.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 07:38:38 am »

Whole world_gen, as exported by the legends mode:

I got another one of these. The magma pipe is in the middle of the peak, and there are some extra 40ish z-levels of sky. The peak is made of glacier materials.

And another similar one, with the magma pipe next to the peak again.

There is one similarity between all of these: in the 3x3 area around the peak is quite some magma pipe activity. This one here has 4 (!) magma pipes in that 3x3 embark area.

That aside, an extra bonus is that the dwarven civilization is at WAR with both elves and humans. And of course with the goblins, too. Also, there's sand and aquifer. Hmmmmm...!

World genning is more fun than actually playing the game, isn't it?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 08:04:33 am by Lytha »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 12:14:31 pm »

I'd love to see these peaks in Stonesense. :o  :D
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 12:21:29 pm »

Upload the save.  Now.  :D

I think I've got an idea budding with this embark!
Pages: [1] 2 3