Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 31.13: I've 320 z-levels. Wtf?  (Read 2614 times)

Gearheart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31_13: I've 320 z-levels. Wtf?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2010, 12:22:35 pm »

Yeah, I recently generated a world with cliffs like that, except mine is the opposite. There are only 3 tiles out of a 3x3 embark which aren't massive cliffs.

It's easy to tell when you get them, because it will be a flat area, but one or more tiles will have a massive relative elevation.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31_13: I've 320 z-levels. Wtf?
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2010, 01:18:44 pm »

Build a snake of one-tile-wide floors over that, load it with weapon traps, and make it the only way into your fort.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 31.13: I've 320 z-levels. Wtf?
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2010, 01:32:22 pm »

As I said, I have a lot of custom reactions and stuff in my raw files (dwarves can make goblin/elf/human brain roasts, kitties and domestic animals breed really slowly, hair becomes silk, cartilage becomes shell, library mod, dwarves are adult at the healthy age of 7, it's possible that microcline is modded to be a flux material, crematorium mod, etc etc etc. (no, I don't have any respect for the vanilla settings.))

Would I need to zip all of it for the save to work? And anyway, where would I put it?

It may be a result of a shoddily done installation of 31.13 on top of a copy of my 31.12 directory. I didn't want to be bothered to have to put all my raw and art and init files back into the new version, so I just unzipped anything new into the existing directory.

Also, I am settling on a very pretty peak with the magma pipe in the middle and some 80ish extra z-levels of extra sky on top of everything now. I selected this one because there's aquifer in the immediate proximity of the peak and sand. Also because the environment is such a lovely lifeless tundra.

The FPS stutters every couple of seconds, but that aside, I didn't get any migrats in the first year. I thought that this was quite awesome until the first one arrived next spring. Population_cap should be set to 1.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:45:34 pm by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 02:06:06 pm »

The save file has a copy of the raws inside of it. You can upload it on the Dwarf Fortress File Depot
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 02:45:36 pm »

Okay, here you go:

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=3155

I've tested to run this save in a clean 31.13 installation, and that works. No guarantees about the FPS with all these sky z-levels. :)

If you want the broken peak in the lifeless freezing tundra, I can zip that as well. No strawberries, but polar bears and suchlike. That peak is prettier because there are no human village farms (or whatever that is) adjacent to the peak, so you can have it in the center of a 3x3 embark screen.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 02:52:50 pm by Lytha »
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 02:49:48 pm »

This requires the building of a massive gem suspended from the four points of the peak.

MEGAPROJECT GO!

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 03:40:13 pm »

In my case, I think I am going to create a hellish version of Rapture.  :D

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 05:51:55 pm »

I'd love to see these peaks in Stonesense. :o :D

Or better yet, Overseer. If that works with 31.13 someone needs to take a 3D screenshot now.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 07:18:31 pm »

Here's the frozen wasteland erm tundra peak in Overseer.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

What's missing on this screenshot is the fact that you have about 90 z-levels of sky on top of the highest part of the peak at your disposal. The peak itself is around 60ish z-levels tall. It's indeed made for a megaproject green glass globe.

And for a magma ocean in that part of the map that isn't a proper plains, if I'm seeing this correctly.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2010, 10:12:51 pm »

I would like to ask for a different angle, so we could really see how far down the gaps in the peak go, but I fully understand if you would rather not fight with it just to satisfy my curiosity. :D

Thank you for this shot, as it shows an impressive landscape (and that you've already walled in a bit of it ;)).
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2010, 10:16:12 pm »

Project idea:

Giant Phillip's head screwdriver to twist it.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2010, 01:11:14 am »

Project idea:

Giant Phillip's head screwdriver to twist it.
A good steel screwdriver, or something wimpy like aluminum or stone? ;)
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2010, 01:12:32 am »

A steel core and shaft, with a cotton candy tip to handle all the strain from high torque ;)
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2010, 02:50:13 am »

Another angle at it in Overseer, and this time it's the uploaded peak instead of the tundra peak. The shape of it is very much the same, but it's more colourful than the tundra peak.

I probably have some unbroken peaks in some regions as well. Every single pocket island that I generated yesterday had about 2 peaks. It's not hard to find them or to generate them; what's hard is to find them on an environment that has all the necessary things to have a sprawling fortress.

So, others might look even nicer. :)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Magma's surface in these things seems to be always on the same level as the surrounding surface.

Hmm... after I've had a few looks at some more random peaks, I've got to say that I selected the prettiest one for my fortress. The uploaded one is second prettiest one; I dislike the range of colours of its sides, and it's sad that you can't have it in the center of a 3x3 embark. But the height is really nice.

Others are too flat (just 30ish z-levels of a peak?), or the magma pipe sits more at the side of the peak or next to the peak.

So, getting a pretty one on an agreeable biome... that's not as easy as I thought.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 03:44:48 am by Lytha »

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2010, 12:44:52 pm »

Ohhhh, thank you.  Very nice looking. 

I must say, however, in this view it reminds me of giant ant mounds. ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3