Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: If YOU were a clever invader, how would YOU sneak into your own fortress?  (Read 3405 times)

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
Re: If YOU were a clever invader, how would YOU sneak into your own fortress?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 05:26:56 pm »

Instead of sending piecemeal attacks of mixed forces, gather up hundreds of cannon fodder with an elite core. Use the unarmed, unarmoured slaves to absorb the traps of the entrance, clogging up the mechanisms and wasting the cages. After they have broken through spread out and have them attack the peasantry all over the fortress. The elite force should follow closely, seeking out the barracks and control room, destroying all the warriors and levers.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

Shade-o

• Bay Watcher
  • It's my greatest creation yet!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 05:29:06 pm »

Or have my soldiers lightly wound each other, then track blood all over the map. In the end, the sheer FPS loss will assure abandonment.
Apparently having a redundant creature entry causes the game to say, "Oh, look, it's crazy world now. Nothing makes sense! Alligators live in houses!"

monkeyfetus

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring:terrible puns]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2010, 05:57:23 pm »

I don't think it would be possible to sneak into any of the fortresses I built, assuming I can't dig, destroy walls, or build ramps/stairs to get over walls. The only clever Idea I have would be to dam the river, thereby depriving the dwarves' automated pumps of power, cutting off their water supply, and potentially opening up a route into their base. If I was trying to defeat a fortress I'd definitely take the attrition route, picking off anybody who wanders outside the protection of the traps and killing caravans and diplomats to hurt relations and keep the dwarves from resupplying.

Alternatively, get a troll to throw a dozen or so gremlins over the wall while you distract the military with a frontal assault. With any luck, rampaging elephants and magma floods will do the job for you.
Why does my adventurer keep crying?
Greiger's is actually correct...  sadly enough.  The emotional circumstance processor is still turned on, with a randomly rolled up personality, but they can't express themselves or take control...  they can only cry.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 06:15:13 pm »

Take off my socks and throw them on a spike trap.

Xerillum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 06:32:18 pm »

Assuming I could build walls, I would dam the river in winter, and use some cannon fodder to set off the drowning trap multiple times, draining all of the stored water. Then I could have some cannon fodder climb down into the water intake, out through the pump stack, and pick the lock on the maintenance door. Then the cannon fodder in the cistern would force open the hatches that drain into the drowning trap, and seal the entire water system off from the rest of the fortress using walls. I would wait until spring before breaking the dam, causing the pump stack to pump water into the fortress, drowning everyone. The food stockpiles and farms would be the first to flood, so any survivors would eventually starve.

Urist Mcinternetuser

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthulhu, the scariest Forgotten Beast of all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 07:50:22 pm »

I would bring a hell of a lot of stuff, to lower Fps and therefore making me stop playing.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 09:15:38 pm »

I haven't worked much on my 31.12 fort, so I'll analyze my old 40d fort.

Lessee... If I could only move in the same way as an invader, only two entrances to my fort, one at the north and one at the south with large courtyards beyond the entrance structures. The south entrance is actually my barracks, which is full of fortifications, marksdwarves, and cage traps, so that's a no-go.

The north entrance is more interesting. Giant multi-level tower, with each floor having a different trap theme (one of the more interesting ones was a winding passage filled with 2/7 water and scattered weapon traps, so that the passage would eventually fill up with bloody water). However, most of the traps in the tower were diagonally spaced apart, so if I knew where all the traps were I'd be able to get through unscathed. Except for the hydra at the top. No way past him. And if I did by the time I climbed my way up and back down the tower the military would be waiting in the windmill courtyard, which consists of a bunch of multi-legendaries (one of which wields an artifact uranium warhammer) backed up by marksdwarves.

Now if I could move like an adventurer, there's one other way into the fort. If I climb up the giant-ass mountain and make my way to the castle on top, there's at least one spot where I can alt-move off a cliff to a structure below, from which I can enter the fort and sneak around the least-guarded regions at whim.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 09:30:29 pm »

I'd have to rappel down one of the ventilation shafts, provided I had the means of breaking open the grates.
Otherwise, I'd have to scale 17 levels of sheer cliff face, and fight the current up to my waterworks.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 09:37:35 pm »

Considering my most recent build, I would scale the walls of my trap design, jump from a short height, then scale again on another part of it, and jump from that. Simple enough.

If the complete sewer was finished, pumps linked and everything, I would scale the sewers into the pumping stations, scale those, and climb towards the chandelier of the epic dining hall until I can scale the rafters lining the room, there should be a way to jump off of there and land into the established King's quarters that has a balcony overlooking the epic dining hall.

Curious about why the sewers and pump stacks are involved? Those are intended to pump water to the chandelier and make a waterfall. Of course, there would have to be a maintainence access. And a secondary pump station would be below to return the water from the falls back into the main sewer lines.

NOTE:
Of course, being the impatient type I am, I intend to do a pre-design to make sure it all works out right, and that takes alot of time, unless I [SPEED:0] it.

I only use such a cheat for design/layout purpose, and [CAVE-IN:OFF] if I intend to have things floating on purpose (SEE:Airship, Floating Island).

Speaking of which, I have no idea how I would get into Bloodfist unless I were hiding in a barrel, and customs doesn't check everything out.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 09:43:53 pm by Itnetlolor »

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 10:09:22 pm »

Well, I haven't had a fortress in a while, but I'd probably sneak into one of my usual fortresses by pretending to be a non-elf caravan. Alternatively if I wanted to destroy the dwarves I'd see if there was a water/magma source I could use to flush them out and avoid a confrontation that places my troops at risk. In the case of my tower set-ups I'd have to first construct a giant reservoir so that the water reaches the entrance level.

If I wanted to be really cruel I'd ship in cats (while breeding them outside) until the player couldn't stock/remove the by-products fast enough to prevent a FPS failure, and he/she would eventually surrender to the lag.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Shaio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 10:55:31 pm »

Well if i wanted to beat the player, id do exactly as the goblins do. charge blindly and pile corpses, blood and useless sock and clothes into the area until fps kills the fort.

If i wanted to defeat my fortress, well, this is beyond goblins, but id park a circle of bow-goblins around entrance, then build 2 story wooden wall surrounding entrance, then pump it full of water., and keep building and pumping till i got enough weight of water to instadoom fortress the second the gates open. then tell a troll to swim down and bash the raised draw bridge? Or floor entire outside area in wood so they can't mine up and out?

Failing that, with abilities goblins current have, they could not assault my fortress and hope to live.

Failing that, as a goblin id find whatever adamantite i could, and armor the crazy ass demon thing thats leading the goblin army in it, also giving it a weapon....

I mean last one i fraught managed to kill 30 dwarfs(when fighting over 100, they only had swords and shields thou), AFTER its lungs heart and guts had already been removed by the elite squads it wiped out.

Wonder if human/dorf/goblin/elf shaped forgotten beats will be able to equip at some point... Seems odd there human shaped, take over civs posing as gods, but don't take on any of that civs weapons armor or dress styles, it'd be cool if during worldgen they ordered stuff made for them, or perhaps took to actively seeking out artifact gear.

Grelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 11:05:26 pm »

*knock knock*

"Who is it?"

"Land shark."

Someone stole my profile.

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2010, 12:50:44 am »

I'd just come immediately after I first lower the drawbridge for the seasonal traders.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2010, 02:37:09 am »

Hmm.

Clog the weapon traps with minion's bodies, then send the elites in and hope for lucky shots against the military and the war giant eagles.

Then, there's just a spiral rampcase, so I'm free to slaughter my dwarves.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 02:48:34 am »

Speaking of which, I have no idea how I would get into Bloodfist unless I were hiding in a barrel, and customs doesn't check everything out.
ride a giant eagle in.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4