Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Halflings  (Read 1941 times)

cog disso

• Bay Watcher
  • Current Fortress: Hatchetminds
    • View Profile
Halflings
« on: September 15, 2010, 08:42:00 am »

DF has the High Fantasy group of dwarves, elves, humans and goblins, but NO HALFLINGS. Perhaps the idea of a subterranean, constantly drunk race of the petit bourgeois seems a little too close to the idea of a subterranean, constantly drunk race of hauscarls, but they could use some tweaking to make them "special", just like the elves are.

DF halflings would be actually closer to kobolds than anything else, only they would engage in sabotage rather than petty theft. They can bypass traps, and they love to steal artifacts. A fortress would be safe from halflings UNTIL they start building a pile of artifacts, at which point the game starts to trigger halfling sabotage raids. Artifacts could be stolen and legendary artisans would be kidnapped and held for ransom elsewhere. Workshops could be destroyed or "cluttered" to uselessness (with junk rather than goods), etc. Artifacts with sufficient security would be safe, and stolen artifacts might show up again in in caravans from other races, at ballooned prices.
Urist McShrodinger likes unobservable properties for their haunting implications.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Halflings
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:49:55 am »

For a cheap simulation of this, stick [TRAPAVOID] on your kobolds sometime and see how badly you rage.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 11:00:01 am »

I support another stock race. I mean you could mod this. But we could always use another race to trade with. I dont think they should really be enemies. Though yeah, I can see them stealing stuff.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 11:05:30 am »

I support another stock race. I mean you could mod this. But we could always use another race to trade with. I dont think they should really be enemies. Though yeah, I can see them stealing stuff.
dude i tried SO many times for them to steal but it doesn't work and the dwarves always massacred them. somehow without the thief tags they start raiding the elves O_o

smariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:54:39 am »

My mother was half halfling, you insensitive jerks!  :'(

Likes schrödinbugs for their reality destroying implications.

dwarfguy2

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Meta Knight... 0_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 11:58:32 am »

so your mother was a quarterling?
Caution: This user may or may not be a horrible evil Elder God from the deepest regions of space. He also may or may not be a lawyer.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 12:19:06 pm »

I don't really see what this would add, to be honest. We've got the major fantasy civilisation archetypes covered already; Lawful Stupid (elves), Lawful-to-True Neutral (humans and dwarves), Chaotic Neutral (kobolds and the various underground civs) and Neutral Evil (goblins). What niche does that leave for another race?
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:06:46 pm »

Actualy, calling anything that is half another race a halfling would probably be easier.
That way, it wouldn't matter if your half man/elf/dwarf/clown/elephant, you still fall under the title of 'Halfling'.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 03:26:56 pm »

Ehhh, if there was another stock race I'd like it to be more significant then the halflings who tend to be throw-away (though less throw away then Gnomes).

A new stock race should present a new dimension. A good stock race could be for example a highly developed physically strong species with slow reproduction and stable political system (attack in small but powerful numbers).

Or

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Right now all the stock races are dramatically different from eachother.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 08:14:43 pm »

I know they're multiple mods for this, and its kind of unoriginal, but would orks work?

I mean, hey, they can be stronger than gobbos ( of course gobbos can vary wildly in design, I usually imagine DF goblins looking like elder scrolls goblins, just more intelligent.

Other than that, we're pretty much good for stock races.

(Or what if we make undead humanoids able to form civs, and/or clown civs.
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:24:06 pm »

Orcs and Orks work.

Though I'd like there to be something more original as the next stock race.

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:49:49 pm »

Orcs and Orks work.

Though I'd like there to be something more original as the next stock race.

I think Ork is trademarked. So it would have to be orc. Which is what they originally were anyways. But orc is always good. I still think, a race thats more or less neutral which could make new things, would be better.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 01:07:02 am »

Goblins in DF are what is commonly known as 'orcs'.

Orcs in LOTR were called 'goblins' in The Hobbit.

Hobbits are called 'Halflings' in D&D.

Everything is a circle.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 01:29:10 am »

Well, on the track of the same name being applied to very different fictional species, Halflings might be considered similar to "Christmas elves"! ;D

....And Christmas elves due to the inclement at the North Pole, they live indoors all year round as they craft goods....LIKE DWARVES

....And dwarves are often dicks, like Goblins can be....
 :o

That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 12:20:50 pm »

Goblins in DF are what is commonly known as 'orcs'.

Orcs in LOTR were called 'goblins' in The Hobbit.

Hobbits are called 'Halflings' in D&D.

Everything is a circle.
they called them halflings because they didn't want to get pwned by Tolkien estate since he invented the name hobbit. i for one don't have a problem using that name because its not like i was making money off my hobbit mod anyway.
Pages: [1] 2