Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 45

Author Topic: Magicka 2: Learn to spell.....AGAIN. Research before you buy.  (Read 88458 times)

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
Re: Magicka - I don my Wizzard's hat and robe
« Reply #180 on: January 25, 2011, 10:19:44 pm »

Fav so far: rain, water shield self, then elec+arcane+cold beam of electric freezing deathsplosion.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: January 25, 2011, 10:25:05 pm »

Had I ought to take it from the many posts discussing nothing but tactics that the game is really fun?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: January 25, 2011, 10:48:10 pm »

Fav so far: rain, water shield self, then elec+arcane+cold beam of electric freezing deathsplosion.
Thank you so much, I tried to do this but I used electric shield and it didn't work out. Going to be my new favorite tactic.

jmancube

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: January 25, 2011, 10:52:01 pm »

Got this game earlier today and I played the single player for a few hours. I love this game and I can't wait to give multiplayer a shot. My favorite spell combos are lightning+arcane+fire/cold and the lightning bolt spell (after a little practice you can spam it kind of quickly, though it will probably hit allies in multiplayer...). The fire+rock+shield combo also is pretty cool, as others have said.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 25, 2011, 10:52:32 pm »

Had I ought to take it from the many posts discussing nothing but tactics that the game is really fun?

One of the best parts of the game is that EVERYONE has different favourite spells that they believe are overpowered. :p Everything is overpowered, though.

Yes, this game is IMMENSELY fun. Who cares about the bugs? If you can run it, I can recommend nothing but buying it. It even surpassed Monday Night Combat and Dead Space 2 on Steam's top sellers list.

I love the way that elements interact. Different elements take precedence in different spells. If I used earth+arcane+fire as an example, it'd launch a firey arcane bomb. If I used arcane+fire+steam, it'd shoot out a beam of fire and steam. If I used steam+lightning, it's a "flaming hands" kind of effect in a short range AoE. It's just so good. :3

At a rough guess, excluding increased power spells etc etc, I'd guess there are at least 200 different combinations of spells not including magicka.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 25, 2011, 11:36:02 pm »

unless you're on the same computer, I highly suggest you don't use a console controller for this game.

I was playing with a friend on his computer (before I bought this myself) earlier on today and it was so good I decided to buy it.

Upon trying to forget the controller controls (not very useful for super complex/fast spell creations) I found that the 8 keyboard keys made stuff oh so much easier. Instead of remembering rather complicated stick movements it was just remembering a series of 1-10 letters.

My favourite spell so far? Has to be thunderbolt. 5000 damage super fast :P Also steam + 2x lightning + 2x arcane laser beam is just brutal.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 25, 2011, 11:44:47 pm »

Like I keep saying, if use it with 3xsteam and 1x arcane/lightning, it's more effective.

Oh, one other thing some people don't seem to catch onto, rain increases the damage of all lightning spells, ontop of the wet effect... It makes lightning bolt 1 hit KO pretty much everything.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 26, 2011, 12:12:58 am »

Out of curiosity I got the demo to try it out. I start it up, and it shows a drawing of a gamepad and says "Move_up" and none of the keys I push do anything and I can't click on anything.

So, I assume I'm not allowed to play this game without a gamepad then? The one I had doesn't really work so...

EDIT: I have my joystick plugged in, maybe that's the issue
EDIT2: yes, it was waiting for me to set my joystick up as a controller @_@ lol
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 12:19:19 am by OzyTheSage »

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 26, 2011, 12:19:14 am »

Yeah that should be the issue. You can definitely play with keyboard/mouse.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 26, 2011, 12:49:38 am »

Ok, I had to give up playing through the game solo, it was skifree monsters that got me, they behave exactly like they do in the game, one grab kill, and they're very quick. My best bet was to spray them or set up a rain shield and then freeze them, then use a cold+x3Lightning+arcan combo to blast em apart... First time I did that, I thought to myself "I'm really going to be in trouble when two of them appear at once... Sure enough after the next monster a pair of them come up... after a dozen or so runs through getting eaten a bunch of times, I finally figure out I can use rain then thunderbolt them into oblivion. It works like a charm I get inside the ruin and finally get inside the ruin... Then I had to fight two of them again... This time indoors.... I beat them and moved on.... Then I had to fight two of them again, this time indoors, and after fighting a bunch of dwarves and a beholder... I just... gave up...

I can't help but wonder how something that big that burns that many calories and exists in that many numbers can possibly survive... Maybe I'm just too used to pointing out plot/setting holes in games that don't point them out themselves.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 26, 2011, 01:17:30 am »

Has anyone managed to successfully get online multiplayer working? I tried it last night with 2 friends and it worked a bit wrong. Namely:
-Whoever was the server sounded like an automaton on TeamSpeak (it lagged it up somehow).
-Movement itself was very laggy (even though we all live in the same city and have rather high-speed connections).
-Sometimes spells thrown didn't register at the other player. For example, when we crossed beams, I as the host saw it, but the other person did not.
-The game would occassionally lose players in between cutscenes and spawn them later. This made me spawn at the start after everyone got their staffs and left me with nothing. All I could do was cast spells on myself and punch my friends. So I dropped a rock on myself.
-At the first doorway I encountered, the door shut upwards for a second, launching me into the air, making me leap over a dungeon wall and fall off the map into nothingess.

BuriBuriZaemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 26, 2011, 01:26:28 am »

How come I am getting bad FPS with this game? My laptop is no gaming rig but it got HD3650 and the graphics are nothing special.

Also, I can't seem to cast the named Magicks (i.e. Rain, Meteor Shower). Haste works fine after clicking on A F S then Spacebar. What about the others?
Napalm is great if you enjoy hot and spicy foods. I personally enjoy some liquid nitrogen.

Steam profile: Elsior
Friend Code: 2938 - 7181 - 3815 (Elsior/Elle Ciel)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 26, 2011, 01:40:29 am »

Spoiler time:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Phew. Maybe I didn't need to write that much, but after probably 50 attempts at this thing, I figured someone else might appreciate some advice.

Here's some other tricks I learned:

-Heal and Personal Shields can be cast at any time, in almost any state. Even if you're sailing through the air, getting knocked around, burning, freezing, you can always heal and toggle your PS. You are however slowed by cold and ice, so if you heal instead of clear the ice or cold, you'll get one heal and there do nothing for a very long time.

-Healing with a personal shield on restores the shield's HPs, not your's.

-In most other cases, if you cue a spell while something else is happening to your character, and cast it, your character will cast the spell immediately as soon as they are able. Why is this important? It means that if you're using a beam, you can cue up your next magic for the exact moment the beam ends, like Warp Time. You can cue magic to fire off the instant your character stands up from being knocked down. If you cast haste in mid air, when you stand up, you'll already be moving fast, you won't even do the casting animation. This is invaluable for getting back on your feet quickly, reacting to bad situations fast, ect....It allows you to keep up a constant stream of Warp Time, Shields, everything else.

-You can also do cool stuff like be firing a beam, cast another spell, keep beaming for a while, then stop beaming and immeidately cast the spell you executed a few seconds ago. The cut off is a little different depending on what you're doing, but when you get how the cueing system works, you can be 3x as fast at all the background magic you need to have running.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 04:45:37 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 26, 2011, 02:03:58 am »

Has anyone managed to successfully get online multiplayer working? I tried it last night with 2 friends and it worked a bit wrong. Namely:
-Whoever was the server sounded like an automaton on TeamSpeak (it lagged it up somehow).
Multiplayer uses a lot of upstream bandwidth for the server, something like 30-40kb/s per player. They need to fix that, not even TF2 that is a FPS uses that much.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 26, 2011, 02:08:32 am »

Multiplayer uses a lot of upstream bandwidth for the server, something like 30-40kb/s per player. They need to fix that, not even TF2 that is a FPS uses that much.

That explains why we were getting dramatically different performance from different hosts. You expect that when people are hosting games locally....but if someone was running the Skype call, it was almost guaranteed to result in lag so bad the game crashed or behaved badly for everyone.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 45