Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 45

Author Topic: Magicka 2: Learn to spell.....AGAIN. Research before you buy.  (Read 88431 times)

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magicka - I don my Wizzard's hat and robe
« Reply #165 on: January 25, 2011, 08:05:26 pm »

there is no option for it.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 25, 2011, 08:14:43 pm »

Is there a non-steam version? The steam demo isn't working.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 25, 2011, 08:16:01 pm »

Not yet, but it sounds like they're going to.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 25, 2011, 08:16:38 pm »

I hear the non-steam version will come in a few week or two.

EDIT: Whoops! Better make sure my sentence makes sense... :-[
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:23:36 pm by Knave »

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 25, 2011, 08:18:59 pm »

Can it be played on LAN?
There's an option to search for LAN games only, but I'm not sure you can host on LAN only.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 25, 2011, 08:19:12 pm »

Mmkay.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 25, 2011, 08:35:39 pm »

So... looking at it I've got some tips.
For most standard one symbol spells adding symbols doesn't increase the power... Only the range (the big exception is earth, which gets a bigger boulder with more symbols). In fact adding extra symbols onto most spells doesn't increase the power by very much. A lightning + Arcane combo dose only a little less damage than a lightning + arcane + arcane + arcane + arcane.... But a L+AR+AR+AR+AR combo, does less damage than a L+L+L+L+AR... The different elements seem to have different amounts of energy to contribute to the reaction, usually lightning is the highest, at least of all the elements it can combine with, but oddly when combined with steam, the steam will provide more energy...

Oh and on the subject of ice, the single most damaging (at least in one hit) spell is Ice+earth (ice contributes more power than earth). Works just like the ordinary boulder, except it breaks on contact, it does a lot more damage, but it can't crash through multiple enemies like the boulder can, and it can't break through an enemies armor and damage them like the boulder can. But for those big enemies it works like a charm.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 25, 2011, 08:47:04 pm »

The one element I dislike is Fire... It is rather throw away and actually gets worse as the game progresses (if it wasn't already pretty bad from the getgo). It even manages to make anything it is paired with weaker.

It gets one great spell which is a earth, fire, Shield combination that I don't know how to do... but basically it makes a barrier of firey rock that actually manages to do good damage.

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 25, 2011, 08:54:41 pm »

hah, this is fun.

sadly it runs slow for me :/ didnt think it would be demanding with those graphics.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 25, 2011, 09:20:23 pm »

The one element I dislike is Fire... It is rather throw away and actually gets worse as the game progresses (if it wasn't already pretty bad from the getgo). It even manages to make anything it is paired with weaker.

It gets one great spell which is a earth, fire, Shield combination that I don't know how to do... but basically it makes a barrier of firey rock that actually manages to do good damage.
There are four ways of casting any spell, through the standard projection (right click), the area affect(shift + right click), cast on self (middle mouse), and sword (shift + left click to charge it onto the sword, do it again to unleash the spell)... Shields create a ward when cast on self, that will stop the effects of associated elements... With one or two exceptions. Area creates a circle of the shield around you, sword creates a straight line of that shield, and project creates a semi-circle in front of you. Using earth+fire with a sword casting is an interesting way to get a cool attack.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 25, 2011, 09:21:12 pm »

It's not so much sword as weapon. I'm rather fond of Garm's sledgehammer myself.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 25, 2011, 09:21:43 pm »

Cold is pretty much the win.

Three runes of AoE cold, and you have all the time you need, and the setup, for lightning+arcane. Only cold resistant spell mobs or big boss mobs are invulnerable to it.

So, cold spray = handy for freakout moments of being surrounded.

Cold aoe = bread and butter of making the game easy. Run through mobs, bomb them with cold, turn around, nuke them.

Cold lightning = slows and deals extra damage for being wet. A win/win.

Cold stone = Basically a cold fireball, that drops a cold patch where it hits. Great for aiming at oncoming waves, and stopping the whole wave COLD in its tracks. Getting out of the effect of it is as easy as one fire on yourself.

Cold/Lightning/Arcane = Game-ender on anything but bosses. A slow, extra lightning damage beam, and explosion on death. Paralyzes most mobs in their tracks.

Cold + Shield = Cold barrier, protective curtain that slows anything that gets near you.

Cold + Steam? = Haven't tried. Perhaps it leads to freezing solid quicker.

---

I agree Fire seems to be the big loser. The DoT is weak, it takes a lot of fire damage for an enemy to panic, and it cancels cold, wet and freezing, the three most useful elemental effects. I struggle to find a reason or a desire to use it ever, other than to blow up goblin bomb carriers.

I think Earth is under-rated. Its AoE might be crap, but a straight 5 boulder max charge will decimate everything in its path.

I find myself never using any of the extra magics besides haste. None I've encountered seem more than situationally useful.

There's also never really an excuse to die from HP loss if you're not grabbed. You can load up heals and heal yourself while flying through the air. Spamming heals, at least when you're got basic HPs and such, takes about 1 second and you're full.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 09:27:38 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 25, 2011, 09:31:14 pm »

There's also never really an excuse to die from HP loss if you're not grabbed. You can load up heals and heal yourself while flying through the air. Spamming heals, at least when you're got basic HPs and such, takes about 1 second and you're full.
you can insta-die from huge explosions. i'm stuck at the goblin attack thing because of that :)

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 25, 2011, 09:34:26 pm »

I realized pretty quickly that Lightning+Arcane could also be combined with fire or cold, the cold version does more damage and also has the lasting frozen effect, making it a pretty awesome damage spell. I usually keep a health+shield spell on my sword, as each of the health mines the spell drops is like 600 health. Also, I noticed that any element + shield used on yourself gives you protection from that element. Presumably, this could be extremely useful with multiplayer if a wizarding duo uses, say, one fire and one water.
Personally I'm stuck on the snake thing because I always fuck up in one way by the time it's almost dead.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 25, 2011, 09:39:54 pm »

Personally I'm stuck on the snake thing because I always fuck up in one way by the time it's almost dead.
run near it. cast directional shield and let it ram it. repeat.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 45