Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Filledcrystal, The Ageless Dirt (31.12 succession)  (Read 13896 times)

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Filledcrystal, The Ageless Dirt (31.12 succession)
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2010, 07:33:23 am »

How does a spear training room work exactly?

Also Pisanoa should have a really nice tomb north of the crypt.  It is a room with cut outs and magma below it and it is fully inscribed.  Maybe I forgot to assign myself the room which would be sad.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
  • I had an army of cats once. guess what happened?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2010, 01:04:55 pm »

Ya you do have a tomb and it is assigned sorry. I just realized that I said that wrong lol. It was supposed to say you even have a tomb lol.

Also the training room has a lever on repeat that constantly activate wooded training spears. as the soldier train the also have to dodge and block the spears. It make them train incredibly fast. And sense they are training spears the chances of them getting anything more then a bruise is unlikely. although they will kill anything not wearing at least a layer of cloths. like baby's and pets.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 01:10:55 pm by Kregoth »
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2010, 01:15:02 pm »

haha that is brilliant.  So the lever is set to repeat which means someone has to pull it, or do you hook it up to a pressure plate in a main corridor or something?

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2010, 01:36:07 pm »

No the lever is in the dining room so there almost always someone there to pull it. or you could assign a burrow to a child with a food stockpile and have him pull it all the time lol.
Your not playing Dwarf Fortress right if you don't see a message saying a Kitten (tame) had died in some horrible manner over and over again.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 12, 2010, 02:50:16 am »

AUTUMN

Damn not even 10 days into the first of Autumn and those blasted goblin decided to send out 13 of there goons to try and kill our people. If that wasn't bad enough I had the bridge lowered so the human caravan can leave once they where ready. there where 5 macemen and 6 crossbowmen and a human axe men and another human lasher. the human axemen and the mace goblins made it past the bridge before I could raise it. In a quick attempt to save as many as I could I raised the bridge and ordered everyone to hide inside the dining hall.

They killed one of our farmers and got the human liaison the humans are going to be pissed at us for letting him die. they nearly got our mayor Pisano but he was able to outrun them and make it safely inside. Lucky for us our cage traps did a wonderful job all 6 of them attempted to move pass the traps but failed miserably and got caged
now all we have to worry about are the rest of them outside our fortress walls.

none the less sense most of the Goblins are dealt with I decided to lift the burrow and gather the caged ambushers and reload the traps. I think I will put up an order to make more traps and build some behind our bridge. Sadly I didn't see that one of the mace Goblin was still out there and our cheese maker was trying to make friends with him. luckily the human caravan guard came to his rescue before I even got a chance to send our own militia at him. The cheesemaker broke some bones but should be fine.

Lucky for us that Goblins death scared the rest of the ambushers off. All this happened so fast I didn't even get to move our own militia to battle. now that they are gone I gathered the dead and there belongings and lowered the bridge so the caravan could attempt to leave. which they did just after it was lowered. I just hope they dont go to there home and cry about how we treated them we don't need humans sieging us as well as goblins.

I noticed we where starting to run low on wood and decided to do some clear cutting on the east side of our fort. Elf's wont like it but i don't care we need more wood. I also noticed something about my defense in order to cut or gather anything on the west side of our walls the dwarfs had to make a long hike all the way around in order to do this. So i ordered another bridge to be made right behind the wall in the brook once that finished and connected to a lever I will remove the wall there. this should allow us to take visitors as well from any side. This also sadly means we will have to defend two fronts if a siege or another ambush occurs.

Sandstone
[/glow]
I decided to have the miners dig further down to see what other valuable stone, ore, and jewels we can unearth. we found some more silver which we can use to make some decent blunt weapons. There isn't much going on at the moment in our fort just some more work being taken care of some more bins and barrels being made. half way through Autumn and we haven't gotten another group of Goblins yet. but knowing them they will show up at some point.

I decided it would be a good time to engrave our living courters. analog is doing a fine job and has managed to engrave some masterpieces. One was even of me when I was appointed to commander in spring of 202. there are also some engraving of goblins getting killed by serrated discs. Shem another engraver is also engraving some masterpieces as well. after they have had a few more engraving I plan to look over them to see if any are worthy of mentioning.

19th of Sandstone

Looks like the approaching winter is coming soon the river has frozen back over.

23rd of Sandstone

Well will you look at what we found. Digging deeply has it dangers to it.

Luckily we only revealed where it is and not actual breached inside the cavern. I am unsure of what to do with this new finding just yet. but at some point we could use the caverns to get some more underground plants and trees. I just hope nothing to dangerous would want to attempt to visit our home.

28th of Sandstone
One of our Metalsmiths...

then...

and then he...

and when he was done

it's value is 34000 and we now have a legendary blacksmith in our midst because of it.

Looks like we finally got some real valuable stuff just above the cavern we uncovered. We found some hematite and a few diamonds and Platinum so i am going to expand the mining operation there to try and find more.

15th of Timber
Looks like the dwarfs have finally come to trade with us from our mountainhome. Knowing my luck I am sure the goblin will interfere they seem to have a knack for showing up at the wrong time. Sure enough I was right 6 Pikemen and a human lasher. I am not sure if there is more hidden somewhere else. The caravan was only moments from passing over the bridge when they got ambushed and sadly they didn't make it and those that did fled. The other ambushers where revealed on the other side of the brook. I sent our military after them but they fled rather quickly. I have let the army get back to there normal routine, back to training in the spear room.

I have decided to create a second burrow for our militia to use it encompasses the brook and some land outside. It will be used as a patrol route for the military to go around when the bridges are down that way we can help a caravan defend itself much quicker. This will also cause any enemy revealed inside to have the squad tasked to defend the burrow to quickly deal with them.

Down below I decided to look through the engravings that have been made mostly just the masterfully designed ones. Wow do they like talking about me, there several of me from different times, like being removed from militia captain in 203 ((hmm not sure why i was removed lol)) there also things of me killing McMetal, and many others. I guess I am popular I hope that my second life here will do the same.

It is now winter and the cold season has begun. the goblins have proven to be a real annoyance. They seem to only want to disturb us when a caravan arrives. hopefully we will get another nice sized wave of migrants soon so I can recruit more military dwarf and have a decent size patrol outside at all times.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

random guardian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 12, 2010, 10:31:26 am »

I cant wait to be responsible for the down fall of this fort send a cat to explore the caves!

Also how do I order everyone inside? Never found out how to do that.
You see a youtube comment you dont agree with. As you type out an insult against the users mother a member of your family watches you. Fed up with your addiction to youtube and spouting random swears at people who didnt enjoy your Naruto AMV, the family member grabs your head and rams it into the screen of your computer butchering your face and electricuting you to death.

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 12, 2010, 11:27:05 am »

The easiest way is pretty quick:

1. Make a burrow encompassing all levels of the fort you deem safe
2. Create a new military alert (m->a)
3. In this new alert, at the right, simply press enter at the burrow for that alert. When you want everyone in, simply set the civilian alert to this new one, and they'll stay in the burrow

Pisano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 12, 2010, 12:19:44 pm »

Down below I decided to look through the engravings that have been made mostly just the masterfully designed ones. Wow do they like talking about me, there several of me from different times, like being removed from militia captain in 203 ((hmm not sure why i was removed lol)) there also things of me killing McMetal, and many others. I guess I am popular I hope that my second life here will do the same.
I want to say that I removed Kregoth here because you were struck down.  The killing of McMetal was definitely on my watch, he went berserk because when he started a mood there was no forge available due to a lack of magma under them.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:44:29 pm by Pisano »

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 12, 2010, 01:33:10 pm »

I want to say that I removed here because you were struck down.  The killing of McMetal was definitely on my watch when he went berserk because when he started a mood there was no forge available.

Ya thats a bug i believe even after death it will still list me as leader in the military screen. And sense there isn't much more that has really happened in the fort they engrave it.

I cant wait to be responsible for the down fall of this fort send a cat to explore the caves!

Also how do I order everyone inside? Never found out how to do that.

There is already a burrow set up for civilian alerts. Just go into (m)ilitary -> (a)lerts -> then on the active civilian alert go to the burrow and click it until there an A next to it. All the dwarfs that are not military will run and stay inside the burrow. be prepared for spam on the bottom of cancelled jobs though.

We have a shit load of puppies I am going to drop a few dogs down there sense we have like 15 of them now. When i post the save I usually list a few things for the next player to keep an eye on. So I will list some guidance for you that should help the process. Also all the levers have (N)otes on them.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 12, 2010, 09:34:19 pm »

WINTER

Sense the goblins are gone I decided to unforbid anything on the ground worth keeping. I also decided to expand the area around our outside fortress a little. We where running low on wood again so I had more trees cut down. When I did that I decided to remove all the ramps that allow access to that area so we can cut the tree without the worry of ground attack there. A flying creature can still get there but it allows us to cut trees even with the bridge closed. although the amount of tree I cut down exceeded the elfs tree cutting cap we where in need of them.

The diplomat that had been wondering around finally talked with the mayor. Congratulations to us we are now a barony and as such our mayor pisanao is our new baron. This made things easier as I did not have to make more damned noble rooms for such a prissy noble.

half way through winter I decided to start putting order for 30 steel bars made as well as more pig iron and more hematite smelting. So our next leader should be able to make a full stack of steel armor for us dwarfs. We also found some gold which should be good to turn into gold crafts for trade. Although at this point we really don not need much that caravans can offer.

I have decided to set the schedule for the squads in service to patrol the outside on shift. each month 1 squad will shift to patrol and the others will train. As for the cave I am deciding to leave the decision of what to do with it to our next leader. My goal has been fulfilled for my leadership. From the very beginning my only plan was to make our fortress defend able without worrying about wealth or stature. I had no intention to make a rich group of dwarfs but a strong group of dwarfs. With the new training room we will have legendary men in no time. Any new migrants that do not have a skill above adept should be drafted into the army and giving the same routine as the rest of our squads.

As for my leadership it is finished Winter is now over and my time here is done I will now be relied upon as the captain of the guard. In the end I believe I have done much for this fortress I turned a group of scared piss ants into fine warriors. I have gotten our steel production now moving in dependable means. This last season wasn't anything worth gawking at but I was happy with my end results.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 09:40:08 pm by Kregoth »

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 13, 2010, 01:58:17 pm »

I have a feeling I will fail horribly due to my zero experience with military.

Sounds Fun!
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Kregoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2010, 01:01:10 am »

go to the wiki and look it up at least it will give enough knowledge on how to use the military and squad screens.

Also forgot to say one extra thing sense we have like 600 plant barrel have the manager queue up 30 lavish meals. that way a lot will be use to make those.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2010, 10:34:06 am »

Can I join this please ?
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

random guardian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2010, 02:33:53 pm »

ha it still says Kregoth is active. Well anyways sorry for the delay :-[. School and all that is getting in my way. I am working on my turn as soon as posible. I wont be using many pictures if thats O.K. with you guys.
You see a youtube comment you dont agree with. As you type out an insult against the users mother a member of your family watches you. Fed up with your addiction to youtube and spouting random swears at people who didnt enjoy your Naruto AMV, the family member grabs your head and rams it into the screen of your computer butchering your face and electricuting you to death.

It's a sad thing that your adventures have ended here!

charred_gp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2010, 04:05:29 pm »

Apologies for not updating the list at all. I've been unable to use my pc, and iphones can't really do anything on the edit screen. I will also add you to the player list when I get on a pc, tsarwash
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7