Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091721 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6270 on: October 24, 2014, 02:04:10 pm »

That, and it's not much cheese.  You defeated their army *and* sacked their holdings, it's fine for them to be weak.  I know CK2 is all about averting the classic "get big army, conquer things, steamroll" but these are pagans.  Couldn't you just county-conquest?

I'm itching to play this again, I haven't actually experienced the update yet...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: October 24, 2014, 02:12:39 pm »

Well you would still have the raided my holding opinion malus after you subjugated the guy. This could make factions dangerous.

Doesn't matter if you're taking the land to increase your personal demense anyway. As you should be doing in early game tribal conquests. Making it a fully looted province pre-DoW doesn't matter when you completely conquer it anyway. The conquest tax/levy maluses last long after the looting maluses can.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 02:14:30 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: October 25, 2014, 09:26:36 am »

Yeah I never understood why pagans could only raid against other religions.  Pagans are supposed to be characterized by infighting, not zealotry.  They can war against each other relatively easily, why can't they raid?

Like in King of Dragon Pass (a completely accurate historical account of a place which totally existed) raiding cattle from other tribes is justified under the region's religion if you can get away with it.  If you can't defend your cattle, anyone else has a right to take them.

I don't really know, but I think that in real life the Norse mainly raided civilized states because they were rich targets, and unlikely to counterattack over the water.

Definitely. The usual "strategy", as far as I know, was to raid coastal settlements in Scandinavia (and the rest of the Baltic coasts) for additional slaves and trade goods as you sailed south, raid some more in the south, and then sell the slaves and loot (as well as whatever trade goods you brought from your home settlement, if any) in one of the main trading hubs before returning home (hopefully before somebody else raided your own homestead). Of course, colonisation, "taxing", and mercenary runs where a bit different, but for those raiding weren't really the goal but more the usual consequence of warfare. Except maybe the "taxing", but if they don't want to pay their taxes, what are you going to do? You need to pay for your new stronghold somehow. So yeah, looting definitely weren't limited to non-Norse, and Scandinavians/Baltics had already been doing that style of warfare/raid/mercenary work runs for centuries (For example, by the looks of the riches and remains of and in their hill-forts, the Island-landers seem to have been either employed extensively by the 300-400 Roman Empire... Or having extensively raided the other tribes that were). The southerners who recorded history just didn't care or bother or know about it before the overpopulation stated large-scale raiding of the their lands as well.

And yeah, raiding definitely weren't limited to pagans either. Much of the "northern crusades", or the christening of northern Europe, consisted of Christian kings and warlords repeatedly raiding the richer regions, even though the populace there had often already been converted to Christianity (again, often repeatedly). Which lead to some hilarious-in-hindsight scenarios where a foreign Christian lord would attack and the Christian local populace would seek shelter in their churches to avoid getting slaughtered, and the lord then demanding they would come out (or face death) so he could christen them. And please, if they could be so kind as to bring the church silver out with them, that would be nice, of course. And that is why so many early churches up here are built like tiny fortresses/towers - Not to defend against pagans, but to defend against other "brothers of the faith".
Love, scriver~

Lukeinator

• Bay Watcher
  • Kophey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6273 on: October 25, 2014, 04:02:02 pm »

How exactly does the title creation in Charlemagne work? Do you get to choose a name and a coat of arms or is it just the coat and name from your capital county?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135480.0 My second FOOTBLEED game.
This thread is Bay12 incarnate.

Like the mermaid bones farm and the Kill-your-baby machine.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #6274 on: October 25, 2014, 04:42:46 pm »

As far as I'm aware it's name, coat and color of your primary title. Not capital county, primary title.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: October 31, 2014, 10:41:57 am »

Another two beta patches are out

Spoiler: Here's the changelog (click to show/hide)

I think my favourite change is that vassals of your vassals who are revolting no longer count towards your vassal limit. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:46:17 am by Wiles »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6276 on: October 31, 2014, 11:22:15 am »

- All byzantine emperors will now have clothes regardless of what DLCs are enabled

Boooo
Love, scriver~

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: October 31, 2014, 12:08:36 pm »

Anyone else thinking of starting at the earliest, using observe until the latest, and then exporting it to EU4 to observe some more and see what kind of messed up world comes out?
Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6278 on: October 31, 2014, 12:11:59 pm »

- All byzantine emperors will now have clothes regardless of what DLCs are enabled

Boooo

He always had clothes.  It's just you were ignorant barbarians and couldn't see the fine material that adorned his body.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: October 31, 2014, 12:39:42 pm »

Anyone who couldn't see the emperor's new clothes got blinded.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: November 02, 2014, 07:50:43 pm »

Oh, I forgot which person was asking around about it, but someone was looking for games like CK2, and I just realized the Romance of the Three Kingdoms series has quite a bit of similarity.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: November 06, 2014, 10:44:08 am »

Archers got a significant nerf. They were the optimal retinue unit before, it'd be interesting to see someone crunch the numbers to find out where they stand now.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: November 06, 2014, 11:17:23 am »

COMBAT:
- Reduced archer bonus during Volley Tactic ( from 300% to 200% )
- Lowered Massive Longbow Volley Tactic bonus to Archers to 350% ( from 420% ) and reduced the 2 affinities bonus to 100% ( from 300% )
#AgincourtNoMore
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6283 on: November 06, 2014, 03:05:11 pm »

Anyone else thinking of starting at the earliest, using observe until the latest, and then exporting it to EU4 to observe some more and see what kind of messed up world comes out?

Sans observing more after converting, have actually done this.  But the world it spat out was not interesting; it was just Mongols right, Aztecs left, a few smaller death blobs to the north and south and then the HRE and (very heavily struggling) Byzantines in the middle, and the main interesting thing about it (Coptic Byzantines) wasn't converted at the time.

I do think results would be far better with this version, but the end results might still be blobby.  It was fun to watch at least, especially in the first 200 years or so when things were still competitive.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: November 07, 2014, 11:59:12 am »

COMBAT:
- Reduced archer bonus during Volley Tactic ( from 300% to 200% )
- Lowered Massive Longbow Volley Tactic bonus to Archers to 350% ( from 420% ) and reduced the 2 affinities bonus to 100% ( from 300% )
#AgincourtNoMore

It's worse than that.  Light Infantry now trigger tactics that you would want to avoid if you were trying to get just Volley or Massive Longbow Volley.  You could get Feint or Shield Wall at 20% light infantry.  Unless you really minmax your retinue ratios, you are better off just going full light cavalry retinue.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 ... 417 418 [419] 420 421 ... 1002