Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091732 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6240 on: October 17, 2014, 02:04:17 pm »

It's.. pretty consistent how bad the Frankish revolts get. They're basically crippled by them.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6241 on: October 17, 2014, 02:31:58 pm »

I actually formed the HRE in 799 and died in 814 in my Charlemagne game. So I think it's working.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6242 on: October 17, 2014, 02:41:22 pm »

It's not, but alright.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6243 on: October 19, 2014, 07:45:33 pm »

So been playing a bit again, the patch ruined my India campaign that was doing good however. (It played but at like a 1 day every 5 seconds rate and the new campaign is much smoother, almost pre India-Adding smooth. [Though scrolling across the map is quite laggy, not much I can do about that])

Started as a Catholic which I haven't done since like before Sword of Islam (Playing one campaign and then buggering off for ages does that) and wow they really need to do some work on the Crusade mechanic in my opinion, at least the mechanic of what happens if a Crusade is -successful-

Right now whoever contributes the most wins everything which I don't really like.  I think it'd be a lot more interesting if a new Independent regime was created of the target's title and go down the list of contributors distributing the various titles in that realm, starting with the top title and then going through the dukes and then counts. If a character is offered a title he can abdicate his current lands to a family member and become the King, Duke or Count of the new land or refuse and have the offer go to the next person on the list, keeping his current lands.   

Would be an interesting way in my opinion to create a whole new kingdom with a hodge podge of land holders from all over Europe. Plus a reason for a count or duke player to actually try and fight in the Crusades, to make a new start in the holy land.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 07:54:37 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6244 on: October 19, 2014, 08:19:18 pm »

Even worse is something I never noticed before is that if there are catholic claimants for the title then they will get it when the crusade is over. Even if you contribute 90% and the random royal guy does basically nothing, he'll get it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6245 on: October 19, 2014, 08:36:22 pm »

Well its theirs by birth, and only yours by merit.  I would not consider it very fair if the Pope gave you  claim on the title based solely on merit either.  #Old World Values.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6246 on: October 19, 2014, 09:15:06 pm »

Personally I like that one person ends up with all the land. It would be hard for a little count to hold out against the Caliphate.

It would be interesting if there were incentives other than land. Getting tech bonuses would make sense since Muslims were more advanced than early Crusaders in a lot of ways. Holy relics and treasures would be another way to incentivise going on a Crusade for the little guys.

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #6247 on: October 19, 2014, 09:19:01 pm »

Well crusading (at least used to) gives the crusader trait to everyone, which can give a nice relationship boost if you drag all your vassals to the holy land with you.

And really if you think about the claimants, its a bit like all of Christendom is pressing their claim.  I do think having a bit more cosmopolitan crusader states would be neat.  Dealing with multiple cultures and succession lines to muck it all up.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #6248 on: October 19, 2014, 09:20:25 pm »

I once had a game where I managed to inherit the Kingdom of Sicily and two English Duchies in one generation as the King of Ireland.  See my wife was a powerful Duchess in England, but English law wouldn't let the titles leave England to go to our son.  So she decided to defeat the law... by becoming independent by getting a Kingdom level title in a crusade.

Then I took over Aquitaine (the lower half of modern day France, in case you don't know) in another Crusade.  That was a weird game.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6249 on: October 19, 2014, 10:09:57 pm »

I haven't played Catholic in a while, but I found it possible to win Jerusalem Crusades as a King and I think you could do it as a Duke too. The requirements are being able to siege holdings with your levies and to have enough boats to transport them. Then you sign onto the Crusades and while other Catholic's armies are distracting the Caliphate's doomstack you go the the farthest coast county in the Caliphate and siege stuff until an army heads your way. Then get on the boat and go somewhere else. It might cause the Doomstack to split so the HRE can beat it, and if that happens you already have some percent in your contributions due to the early sieges. Then after the doomstack is defeated you can siege as normal; try to be the first on Jerusalem.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: October 19, 2014, 10:48:08 pm »

I haven't played Catholic in a while, but I found it possible to win Jerusalem Crusades as a King and I think you could do it as a Duke too. The requirements are being able to siege holdings with your levies and to have enough boats to transport them. Then you sign onto the Crusades and while other Catholic's armies are distracting the Caliphate's doomstack you go the the farthest coast county in the Caliphate and siege stuff until an army heads your way. Then get on the boat and go somewhere else. It might cause the Doomstack to split so the HRE can beat it, and if that happens you already have some percent in your contributions due to the early sieges. Then after the doomstack is defeated you can siege as normal; try to be the first on Jerusalem.
That doesn't sound right- you get a lot more war contribution by feeding the meat grinder then by siegeing. You're probably just sending more of your troops to the crusade.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: October 19, 2014, 10:59:27 pm »

It was a few versions ago, right after Old Gods released (but before it was on sale so I didn't have it).

You could be right though, I sent everything I had. I didn't know percentage of your forces sent makes a difference in contribution score.

Maybe it changed too, but capturing even a few African counties before being chased away raised my contribution significantly the last time I was in a Catholic game. Maybe it's because the HRE was losing every battle it fought until the Caliphate split up it's army.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:08:26 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6252 on: October 20, 2014, 12:18:23 am »

So I just started playing this game despite having owned it for years. It's really good. Just to preface what I'm about to describe, I started off by leaving the eldest child with a normal name.

I started off as Olafr, chief of Ossland. His time as chief was uneventful and spent most of his time assisting his liege in fighting the Swedes. He had two children: Rognvaldr by his wife, and Nyx by his concubine. Olafr died of poor health and left Oppland to his son.

Rognvaldr's reign was the point where I started to realise what I was playing. Rognvaldr raked in the prestige and piety while he was alive and was happy to see his eldest son, Oysteinn, join the Varangian Guard. Interestingly, Oysteinn's wife gave birth days before Oysteinn returned and their daughter, Halla, had the crest of the Varangian Guard displayed in her profile. Oysteinn never had a son because he was blinded and castrated. The title of heir went to his brother, AK47. The next brother, Excalibur, was only important in the sense that he would later inherit some land from AK47.

AK47 looked like he was going to be the start of a powerful dynasty. He was a brilliant strategist, humble, patient, temperate, and zealous. He conquered the last independent cheifdoms of Norway and set his sights on the independent cheifdoms of Sweden and Denmark. He conquered the ones Sweden didn't get to first and finally found his match in Sjaelland. Sjaelland itself was easily taken but the chief of Sjaelland refused to concede, speaking of unbeaten armies. It turned out that his brother-in-law had heard of my war and had sent a doomstack across half of Eastern Europe to help him.

AK47 returned to Ossland to find no support from the other lords. In the time he had been conquering they had been talking with catholics and there were many zealots in Norway. AK47 spent the rest of his life inventing flying machines, sacrificing the prisoners he'd taken in Sweden, and organising the assassination of whoever controlled Sjaelland at the time.

AK47 eventually died under suspicious circumstances after having his liege-lord murdered by an archer on a grassy gnoll. His lands were split among his sons and his brother with Ossland going to his eldest son, Dickbutt. The first thing Dickbutt did was call his allies to conquer Sjaelland. They did it. Turns out the aging bishop had no allies to call and the pagan temple returned to the norse. One week later Dickbutts liege, a catholic child, stole Sjaelland from him.

Eventually the Swedes invaded and claimed all of what was once called Ostland. Dickbutt lived the rest of his life among the last germanic pagans, in the court of Kettil of Worcester with the crest of Sjaelland on his profile as a final insult.

I really like this game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: October 20, 2014, 12:38:26 am »

Aside from the new start date, what else does the Charlemagne DLC offer?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:54 am »

Tribal holdings are part of the free patch.
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 415 416 [417] 418 419 ... 1002