Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2091739 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 is released.
« Reply #6255 on: October 20, 2014, 03:03:43 am »

Viceroyalties are basically regal or ducal titles which are not inheritable. I think the tribal mechanics are a good additional way to portray eastern tributaries for various empires which held only weak authority over their fringe vassal. Hopefully mods will make use of this if the vanilla game can't/won't. (Not talking about mechanics for tribes as such, but tribal vassals. They are more like permanent allies who might or might not answer the liege lord's call for arms. Even if they do, they operate as independent armies.)

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: October 20, 2014, 08:45:45 am »

I think the tribal mechanics are a good additional way to portray eastern tributaries for various empires which held only weak authority over their fringe vassal.
Tributaries? Do they pay taxes or just provide some independent troops whenever they feel like it?
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: October 20, 2014, 11:18:25 am »

No taxes, you have to call them to war like allies. Until you have higher tribal organization laws and then it's pretty much normal.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: October 22, 2014, 02:35:03 am »

So something happened in CK2 that I've never seen... I mean I've seen heresies take power before...but... I...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Francia is divided in two...The Francia empire itself is Orthodox while an Independant ELECTIVE middle Francia is Monothelite. Lombardy as well has recently converted to Monothelitism.  The Catholics in Anatolia are the Knights Hospitaller who won it in a Crusade. (After it was lost by the East Roman Empire in a Jihad) They also won Jerusalem earlier but have lost it in a Jihad.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: October 22, 2014, 05:48:46 am »

Suomensko or however it's spelled is doing well too. I've never seen them take over Russia before (in an Old Gods or 1066 start).
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Rutee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: October 22, 2014, 06:16:17 am »

Yeah heresies seem to have been buffed somehow.  I watched the very rapid conversion of the Byzantine empire to an Iconoclast state.  I also learned that if the majority of provinces flip, the religion itself flips, and regular orthodox becomes the heresy, complete with the conversion of Holy Orders.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: October 22, 2014, 08:16:08 am »

Yeah heresies seem to have been buffed somehow.  I watched the very rapid conversion of the Byzantine empire to an Iconoclast state.  I also learned that if the majority of provinces flip, the religion itself flips, and regular orthodox becomes the heresy, complete with the conversion of Holy Orders.
I think, not sure since I don't have the dlc yet, the ERE emperor starts iconoclast in the new start date, which could explain why it converted that fast.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Pentagram

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: October 22, 2014, 08:58:27 am »

Be sure to use the newest beta patch if all of you dont, otherwise the muslim realms never fall apart

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: October 22, 2014, 09:09:01 am »

Be sure to use the newest beta patch if all of you dont, otherwise the muslim realms never fall apart

They're still pretty stable in the beta patch. I've played about 300 years so far and the Abbasids are still a mega blob of doom. Their decadence is always around 0 when I check.

I think heresies got reworked with Sons of Abraham. Heresies tend to become rampant when your religion has low moral authority. With how strong the Muslims are the Byzantines lose a lot of holy wars driving the Orthodox moral authority into the ground.

Edit: Looks like the Byzantine Emperor from the new start date follows Iconoclasm.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 11:53:31 am by Wiles »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: October 23, 2014, 03:31:40 pm »

They're still pretty stable in the beta patch. I've played about 300 years so far and the Abbasids are still a mega blob of doom. Their decadence is always around 0 when I check.
Abbasids are 0% decadence in my New Zoroaster game..

And that comes with +50% morale and constant Holy War blobbing [+land -decadence], yay self fulfilling stats!

Religious rebels are stupid in this version, they weren't this obnoxious post rebel-fix. The cooldown wears away and an instant heresy revolt pops off. Sometimes they're 5,000 soldiers from a useless province in Siberia. Sometimes they're 50 right near Khiva. It legitimately makes no sense anymore, and to top it off it's incredibly predictable. I'm guaranteed a 10-10,000 rebellion stack in a random spot when the 'Crushed Revolt' cooldown wears off, it's like it doesn't care what individual province revolt %'s are [aka the revolt% builds up during the cooldown...?].

Half the dynasties in my world seem to be inbred.

Great or terrible?

I'm playing Zoroastrian, so all leaders are married to their kin.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 03:38:35 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: October 23, 2014, 07:45:14 pm »

Half the dynasties in my world seem to be inbred.

Great or terrible?

Historically accurate.  Just look at Charles II.  His family tree looks like a pretzel.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: October 24, 2014, 12:39:59 pm »

A new beta patch is out. Biggest change seems to be to gavelkind. Now the game will try to make sure your heir inherits titles from your capital duchy. I'm glad they tweaked this, it wasn't very fun to lose all of your best provinces and get stuck in some worthless county.

Another nice change is that tribals can now raid realms that share their religion. That should make tribal Ireland a little more interesting in the early game.

Spoiler: Here's the changelog (click to show/hide)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: October 24, 2014, 01:07:58 pm »

Yeah I never understood why pagans could only raid against other religions.  Pagans are supposed to be characterized by infighting, not zealotry.  They can war against each other relatively easily, why can't they raid?

Like in King of Dragon Pass (a completely accurate historical account of a place which totally existed) raiding cattle from other tribes is justified under the region's religion if you can get away with it.  If you can't defend your cattle, anyone else has a right to take them.

I don't really know, but I think that in real life the Norse mainly raided civilized states because they were rich targets, and unlikely to counterattack over the water.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: October 24, 2014, 01:40:26 pm »

In the context of a 1-province tribal start [keep in mind other tribals near you are usually one province as well], it's probably to keep you from just raiding your neighbor without DoWing, then after you've razed them [if have the superior numbers to siege the garrison+levy] you can DoW to annex them for basically no risk. I do this as any raiding religion, and the no-raiding-your-own-religion kept me from just cheese annexing whomever I want. Not that I care particularly since I hardly play tribal.. It's kinda a pain to deal with.

And yes, you can argue 'you should just DoW instead of being a cheap prick about the raiding mechanic if your intention was just to annex them anyway'. But generally you seriously don't want to risk your first levies in even small scale warfare. The AI hardly knows how to deal with a raider, unfortunately even less so with a neighboring raider. What they should do is immediately turn on a 'If being raided by raidable faction, squash raiders and/or raid them back' logic. I've never seen anyone raid me as a neighboring lootable religion. It's kinda annoying that the only raiders you see are coastal vikings with how predictable they are.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 01:45:41 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Satarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: October 24, 2014, 01:55:32 pm »

In the context of a 1-province tribal start [keep in mind other tribals near you are usually one province as well], it's probably to keep you from just raiding your neighbor without DoWing, then after you've razed them [if have the superior numbers to siege the garrison+levy] you can DoW to annex them for basically no risk. I do this as any raiding religion, and the no-raiding-your-own-religion kept me from just cheese annexing whomever I want. Not that I care particularly since I hardly play tribal.. It's kinda a pain to deal with.

And yes, you can argue 'you should just DoW instead of being a cheap prick about the raiding mechanic if your intention was just to annex them anyway'. But generally you seriously don't want to risk your first levies in even small scale warfare. The AI hardly knows how to deal with a raider, unfortunately even less so with a neighboring raider. What they should do is immediately turn on a 'If being raided by raidable faction, squash raiders and/or raid them back' logic. I've never seen anyone raid me as a neighboring lootable religion. It's kinda annoying that the only raiders you see are coastal vikings with how predictable they are.

Well you would still have the raided my holding opinion malus after you subjugated the guy. This could make factions dangerous.
You need to make said elf leather into the most amazing work of art.  Embed it with every kind of gem you have, stud it with metals, and sew images into it.  Erect a shrine outside your fort with that in the center.  Let the elves know that you view their very skin as naught more but a medium for your dwarves to work on.
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 1002