Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093272 times)

Titus Wiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 announced!
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2012, 09:52:13 am »

...Why are you talking about the state of CK1 when we're discussing CK2?

Because Paradox never got CK1 into a properly working state. And, people are talking about pre-ordering and 1st day purchases of CK2!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2012, 09:58:36 am »

Because Paradox never got CK1 into a properly working state. And, people are talking about pre-ordering and 1st day purchases of CK2!

People are pre-ordering because everyone who's tried the demo/been in Beta have constantly been talking about how CK2 is nothing like any other PI game in terms of release state stability & bug freeness.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2012, 10:32:24 am »

People are pre-ordering because everyone who's tried the demo/been in Beta have constantly been talking about how CK2 is nothing like any other PI game in terms of release state stability & bug freeness.
I preordered because ck is one of my favorite games of all times. I must be a unique specimen for I can very easily look past bugs if the gameplay is good.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2012, 10:34:46 am »

snip

We're all very much aware of that. Painfully so, in fact. Which is why we're shocked it's actually playable! I only came across maybe three bugs in a few hours of game play. Three, in a Paradox game before it's released! Surely this is a sign of the Apocalypse.

I can put up with the minor bugs anyway, so long as I cans savescum if they cause issues.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2012, 11:04:01 am »

A lot of the bugs people have reported on the forums have apparently been already fixed in the release version, so that's good.

Honestly, CK1 was made in 2004. The Paradox of then is not the Paradox of today. Not buying the game because CK1 was released horribly bugged is pretty stupid.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2012, 11:31:36 am »

On the other hand, SOTS2

Titus Wiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2012, 11:42:31 am »

On the other hand, SOTS2

and Magicka.

OK they weren't developed by Paradox, but Paradox must have known what a mess they were releasing.

jashman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #127 on: February 06, 2012, 11:43:15 am »

Also, it seems most people don't know the rather haphazard way in which Crusader Kings was developed.  The Russian company Snowball was the original developer, with Paradox only being the publisher (which is common for them now, but in '04, not so much).  Things didn't exactly go well, Snowball was removed from the equation along the line and started work on their own 'Crusader Kings', and Paradox took over.  This led to a lot of the reasons CK's UI, gameplay, etc. was a bit... different, compared to other Europa Engine games.  And while we were anxiously awaiting word back in '03, there was worry the game would never be released.  :P

I think that is a relatively accurate summation, given my memory and nine years passing.  You can still find topics on the forum when searching Snowball, including Anti-Snowball rants.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 08, 2012, 04:36:46 pm »

In some news, you can get CK2 on steam now.

And as for the real reason I posted, assassination plots are hilarious. In my game I was pretty much at a standstill. Was playing a female ruler and accidentally married my uncle. Started a plot to kill him, bribed some people, killed him. Decided to just keep doing that. Kept marrying people, kept killing them. The money from the marriages actually covered what I spent on bribing. Took out 5 people like that.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 08, 2012, 05:47:30 pm »

snip

We're all very much aware of that. Painfully so, in fact. Which is why we're shocked it's actually playable! I only came across maybe three bugs in a few hours of game play. Three, in a Paradox game before it's released! Surely this is a sign of the Apocalypse.

I can put up with the minor bugs anyway, so long as I cans savescum if they cause issues.

Ding.

It's pretty obvious playing CK2 that Paradox has spent a lot of time polishing the game, and fixing things. It seems weird to be upset that they're actually learning from their mistakes finally.

A few events are still broken, but those can be easily fixed by the users, if Paradox doesn't -- and they've said that some have been fixed since the demo build. Even if they're lying, you'll still be able to find a mod that repairs the events before long.

As jashman notes, CK1 was the most fucked up of all the Paradox games, and I personally don't consider it a broken game at all.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 08, 2012, 05:49:33 pm »

LOL @ "accidentally married my uncle"

I really need to get around to playing the demo. I downloaded it, installed it, started up a new game as Michael Doukas, immediately said, "OMGWTFBBQ INFO OVERLOAD" and spent half an hour just checking out all the different screens, and then exited the game without ever hitting unpause. Mind you, I'm not put off by the info overload, I just need time to acclimate to it. I rather love the excruciating level of detail I've seen so far. It maketh me happy.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 09, 2012, 03:08:29 am »

A few events are still broken, but those can be easily fixed by the users, if Paradox doesn't -- and they've said that some have been fixed since the demo build. Even if they're lying, you'll still be able to find a mod that repairs the events before long.
This is the #1 reason I intend to get this game. The #1 reason I may not get this game is if Paradox fixes the start game thing which allows you to play non-christian countries, on the grounds that nonchristian countries "aren't worth playing" because they don't have events like christians do. As if events can't be modded in.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 09, 2012, 03:55:58 am »

I really need to get around to playing the demo. I downloaded it, installed it, started up a new game as Michael Doukas, immediately said, "OMGWTFBBQ INFO OVERLOAD" and spent half an hour just checking out all the different screens, and then exited the game without ever hitting unpause. Mind you, I'm not put off by the info overload, I just need time to acclimate to it. I rather love the excruciating level of detail I've seen so far. It maketh me happy.

That's about how all my paradox games start. I do that, don't touch it for 2 weeks, do that again, then come back the next day and start playing properly.
Magma is overrated.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 09, 2012, 10:12:29 am »

This is the #1 reason I intend to get this game. The #1 reason I may not get this game is if Paradox fixes the start game thing which allows you to play non-christian countries, on the grounds that nonchristian countries "aren't worth playing" because they don't have events like christians do. As if events can't be modded in.

It's hardly just missing events, but yeah, I'm sure there will be a mod for non-christian countries. Right now, even if they had proper events/mercs/etc., they'd be terribly ahistorical to play if you care about that sort of thing. A mod for that will probably be out on day 1, though. Hell, there are released mods already and the game isn't even out yet!
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 09, 2012, 10:25:13 am »

There is a 97,8% chance there will be released either or both a Muslim or Pagan DLC eventually, with new gameplay elements tailored to those cultures and religions.

edit: Stupid phone autocorrect...
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 10:26:51 am by scriver »
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 1002