Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1002

Author Topic: Crusader Kings 2 is released.  (Read 2093283 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Crusader Kings 2 announced!
« Reply #105 on: February 05, 2012, 05:54:05 am »

Nope. The only thing you get tor pre-ordering is two DLC's, and only it you pre-order at special sites.
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 05, 2012, 06:34:32 am »

This seems remarkably bug-free for a PI game. Only major bug I've had was when presented with a fabricated claim, both pressing it and letting it go have the same effect, the latter incurring less prestige loss.

Also, if you're into cheating, you can play any character you want in the demo. Just pick one of the four starting ones, press Play and then quickly click another province on the map, and you'll be playing the owner of that province. Had a game as the Duke of Slesvig just now.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 05, 2012, 07:15:02 am »

Was just about to come here and mention my game as Lübeck ;D

Also, I don't think that is a bug, Hellhound.
Love, scriver~

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 05, 2012, 08:28:36 am »

Huh. I tried as one of the dukes, but I got to say. To much too fast. I find the map annoying, even if it is prettier then CK1, at least I could tell all the information I needed at a glance back then. To much stuff, not enough ability to learn.

I think I need to play a game as a Iberian minor and not someone caught up in world politics.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 05, 2012, 09:30:15 am »

Try something Irish or Welsh instead, or you'll end up fighting the Muslims. It's rather slow and allows you to explore the vassal-liege relationship on a limited scale to start with.
Love, scriver~

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 05, 2012, 10:39:35 am »

Just played 200 years as Bohemia from 886. Too bad Paradox didn't add historical county titles as all historical dukes/kings/emperors immediately lose their titles as you need a county/barony to have any other titles.
What resulted was 200 years of madness with all counties being independent. You just can't save in the demo so you still can't play for very long.
If anyone wants to play this way too, you just need to change the start date in bookmarks.txt and defines.txt. And than do what Hellhound did. Now if someone would just add all the county titles this would be a lot more fun :)

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 05, 2012, 10:58:41 am »

This seems remarkably bug-free for a PI game. Only major bug I've had was when presented with a fabricated claim, both pressing it and letting it go have the same effect, the latter incurring less prestige loss.

That is to encourage NOT trying to fabricate claims. You lose prestige for being a coward and not pressing forward, and you also lose prestige for being a magnificent bastard and trying to take someone else's title.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 05, 2012, 11:02:19 am »

Alright, judging from the demo, is CK 2 better than CK 1?  I haven't played either of them, I kinda want the one that is less complicated, easier to manage, unless the gap between them is so great that one is universally better than the other. In that case, I'd take the complicated one. 

So...reviews anyone? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2012, 11:13:13 am »

So far, CK2 seems superior in almost every way too me, except it's a lot more complicated and has a lot more cluttered UI. I played the first game, and I think it helped me understand it better (didn't really need to use the tutorials, but then again I always prefer to learn by doing stuff myself). Don't like the new map modes, love the new music and art and misc sounds. Very... Immersive is the wrong word, but mood-setting, maybe? Atmospheric?

Anyway, it you can afford both CK1 would be the easier one to get into, but if you try the demo and is familiar with other Paradox games (Rome or Sengoku in particular, I think, though I haven't tried the latter) I think you can adapt to it rather quickly.
Love, scriver~

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2012, 11:56:18 am »

That is to encourage NOT trying to fabricate claims. You lose prestige for being a coward and not pressing forward, and you also lose prestige for being a magnificent bastard and trying to take someone else's title.

Yeah, that makes sense, but the effects seem oddly identical. It's only a -50 difference in prestige loss. You'd think brazenly pressing a shaky claim on something would have more of a relationship penalty to the owner of the title than letting it go. Both are just -25 to Opinion.

EDIT: Actually, that is a bug according to the devs and has been fixed in the full version.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:55:13 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 05, 2012, 05:12:10 pm »

So playing as someone of a different religion seems to actually work perfectly well, you can even select a muslim through that clicking after pressing play thing. I just played 30 years from an 866 start as the 3 province Abassid Caliphate, managed to get a decent province base before my norse pagan heir inherited and everything fell apart as my neighbours declared holy war on me and a 1200 strong rebel army rose in Baghdad. It seems at least that only christians have access to mercenaries, though, so I guess that could be counted as not working.
I really don't like the genetics system, honestly. I can't recognize people at all, also, if you switch culture from tutoring you actually switch skin colour..
I think I'll pre-order, though, surprisingly polished and everything.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 05, 2012, 08:39:56 pm »

Anyone know of a way to keep a save of your end of the line in the demo?

I had a lot of fun playing as the duke of Munster and Leinster, setting myself up as the heir to half of Wales and allied with Norway and France.

Damn, hardly any bugs too. Nice and smooth. First day purchase for me after playing that demo. Was a bit worried after the unfortunate history of out of the box games Paradox has, but not any more.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 06, 2012, 04:20:46 am »

Anyone know of a way to keep a save of your end of the line in the demo?

I had a lot of fun playing as the duke of Munster and Leinster, setting myself up as the heir to half of Wales and allied with Norway and France.

Damn, hardly any bugs too. Nice and smooth. First day purchase for me after playing that demo. Was a bit worried after the unfortunate history of out of the box games Paradox has, but not any more.
Loving the hell out of this game, honestly. I just played 180 years as the Count of Breifne turned King of Ireland.
Notable kings include one 20 learning guy who dabbled in the occult which actually managed to make him attractive. Coincidentally his son was a dwarf. The son of the dwarf-king was the one to unite Ireland, and his daughter was a full on tyrant who imprisoned all who rebelled against her and banished them (which seizes the assets of a prisoner, it's very useful because people who rebel against you and fail can be made your prisoner in the peace deal).
A couple generations later I decided to go Norse because Swedish-Norse Novgorod had converted a pretty massive area both religiously and culturally and Catholicism seemed to be a sinking ship. I was able to hold off against the Scottish but a couple months ago Northumberland decided they wanted the fountain of gold that is Meath...
A damn shame that there aren't any non-christian mercenaries.

Titus Wiley

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 06, 2012, 08:30:45 am »

I bought Crusader Kings I and Deus Vult last year. 7 years after the original release, only to find it still has a game breaking bug! When you restore a saved game the morale of all armies is set to zero - so all existing armies on the map become a bunch of cowards, and repeatedly run away from combat.

I understand the love for Crusader Kings, its a fun and unique game, but come on guys, its broken.

I may buy Crusader Kings 2 - but certainly not on release. 

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 06, 2012, 09:32:10 am »

...Why are you talking about the state of CK1 when we're discussing CK2?
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 1002