Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid bones!!  (Read 1280 times)

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
Stupid bones!!
« on: August 18, 2010, 05:34:11 pm »

This is my fifth dwarf who's gone bonkers for lack of bones.

There is a whole refuse pile of skeletons, why can't they use those?  I have currently fifty-four "partial skeletons" in the junk pile.  What's wrong with those?

Oh, right!  Those are skeletons and not bones.  Beats me how the hell I can have 54 skeletons with no bones.

Stupid bones.  Maybe the next dwarf can use your "partially rotten corpse" for their useless "Floor Grate" Artifact.

edit: Oh and I should mention I only have 50 dwarves in this fort so far.  That's 10% lost for bones.  grawww 

Maybe magma will make me feel better.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid bones!!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 05:52:28 pm »

If they are things like goblins you can adjust your civ ethics for it to be acceptable to eat sentients, and your butchers will happily get to work on their corpses.

If they are dead pets or dwarves you can either build coffins or chuck them into an atom smasher chute.

I give my dwarves coffins, but pets get tossed into the chute leading down to the atom smasher.

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 06:13:36 pm »

Maybe this has changed in the last couple of releases but in the earlier 2010 releases the dwarves wouldnt even grab bones from the stockpile, they'd only take from freshly butchered corpses. Got any animals you can hack up real fast?
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 06:28:42 pm »

This is basically a known bug...  Part of the code that creates skeletons or zombies makes it so that bodies no longer rot properly, and instead just turn into "skeletons"...

I actually wonder if it's possible to just mod in a reaction where you turn skeletons into bones...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 10:26:29 pm »

Couldnt you drop the partial skeletons down multiple z levels, and the breaking apart should make bones? I heard that works somewhere.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 02:31:46 am »

You can butcher skeletons just like corpses.
And then they will turn into bones.

You just need a butcher shop near them.

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 02:43:50 am »

You can butcher skeletons just like corpses.
And then they will turn into bones.

You just need a butcher shop near them.

This only works for some creatures, dwarves won't touch half the stuff that comes to my fort.  There's some screwy ethics going on when they won't chop up a troll skeleton.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 10:33:10 am »

I actually wonder if it's possible to just mod in a reaction where you turn skeletons into bones...
I doubt it, even if you can get the game to recognise the bones as reagent, it has proven to be impossible to make bones a product. Probabaly because bones are bodypart items, not regular ones.

So yeah the only way to get bones from goblin skeletons is to fiddle with the ethics, which will also make your dwarves butcher fresh goblins corpses, elf corpses, etc. They still wont butcher dwarf corpses though, not even through workaround reactions.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 10:54:31 am »

Nothing like butchering an elephant to see 53 bones dragged away to craft a ring.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 10:59:04 am »

Couldnt you drop the partial skeletons down multiple z levels, and the breaking apart should make bones? I heard that works somewhere.
Creatures dropped many levels sometimes break apart into multiple fragments which can turn into bones when they rot, but objects like skeletons don't take any damage in falls.

I have heard it claimed that if you leave a skeleton sitting out for a few decades it will rot into bones, but I've never actually seen this happen.

I could almost swear I've seen dwarves in strange moods grab partial skeletons and use them as a source of materials, I just had one make a goblin bone earring, but I may have missed him grabbing a pile of goblin bone instead.

Anyway, bones are easy to produce.  Butcher an easily purchased stray animal, or kill a wild animal wandering around outside.  Shell is the hard bit to get these days.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 11:37:16 am »

I have heard it claimed that if you leave a skeleton sitting out for a few decades it will rot into bones, but I've never actually seen this happen.

I've heard this claimed as well, but I have yet to see a skeleton turn into a pile of bones. The only way that happens is through a butchers workshop if the corpse can be butchered. Even a skeleton can be "butchered" into bones if there is no meat or skin left on the corpse, but without a butcher I have yet to see a skeleton turn into bones on its own.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 12:32:06 pm »

I haven't seen any skeletons turn into bones yet either.  And I have two butcher shops up and running.  I had bones from a bunch of elephants, but the fort has been under constant siege for almost a year now so nobody has been able to go out and hunt and I've already killed everything I can inside. 

Nothing like butchering an elephant to see 53 bones dragged away to craft a ring.

aaaaaaand this is the reason I don't have any bones left.  It seems like everyone wants to put bones on their crap.  You really used a pile of 45 elephant bones to make a spear?  Really?  It doesn't even menace with any of those bones!  The description just says it's a "bone spear"!  And what dwarf in their right mind decides to put bones on a floor grate fer crying out loud? 

Well, ok, it's because none of them are in their right mind.  But you get the point...
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2010, 12:37:58 pm »

For a time bone decorations only used 1 bone out of the stack, so you could decorate 53 things with a stack of 53 elephant bones.

In the past couple releases bone decorations are back to using the entire stack, so a stack of 53 elephant bones only gets you 1 decoration. Its probably just a bug.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2010, 01:42:37 pm »

Making artifacts out of bone is bugged. All decorations (they do not have to be bone, just base item must be bone) vanish into thin air.