Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 53

Author Topic: BYOR 4 - Game Over: Cult Win  (Read 109836 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 4 - Day 2: Someone Needs To Report A Missing Person
« Reply #390 on: August 30, 2010, 04:41:58 pm »

I'm starting to think we need some massive prodding and a reinstatement of the rank system, because seriously guys... this thing is dying due to inactives and folks who think they can sign up, flake, and leave.
Nah. We just need that rule of "post at least once per real life day" back. No need for a rank system.

Rank system provides a handy incentive for those of us who are overachievers, and a way to keep tabs on repeat offenders.

Or we could just say "lurk too much and you don't get to play in my game."  Dunno.  Will require thought.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 30, 2010, 04:50:09 pm »

This is pathetic.

TheBroodyMoods, Lonewolf, Zathras, and Eduren, get your asses in here.
Zathras is busy, but I'll just mass prod everybody.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 30, 2010, 04:52:55 pm »

Just going to say its Toonyman. Stop blubbering around and actually answer some questions.

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 30, 2010, 08:39:11 pm »

I decided to find a public computer, seeing as I got prodded. I will be back tomorrow night, when I get my laptop.

A couple people asked me my opinions of yesterday, and questioned my actions. Yesterday, I was standing by my reads of both Jokerman and Spartan. I was using my read of Spartan to form suspicions, and not as some say "standing by him". Once Spartan's role flipped, I was pretty surprised, and immediately had my opinion of Jokerman changed. While I feel I had valid reasons yesterday for my suspicion, those reasons have been shelved in the favor of evidence.

For now, I'm wondering who Vector finds suspicious. You seem to have voted Ottofar at the beginning of the day to get him to talk, but I wonder if you are buying into his excuses. If you don't, then why aren't you ripping him a new one?

If it's not Ottofar you are suspicious of, then who?
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 30, 2010, 08:58:20 pm »

For now, I'm wondering who Vector finds suspicious. You seem to have voted Ottofar at the beginning of the day to get him to talk, but I wonder if you are buying into his excuses. If you don't, then why aren't you ripping him a new one?

If it's not Ottofar you are suspicious of, then who?

In complete honesty:

I need to reread the thread to see what comes up with the Spartan roleflip.  Ottofar is seeming fairly scummy, and I'll admit to some bad feelings about Pandarsenic and Broody (though I have no idea why the last is setting me off).  I buy Ottofar's excuses for now, but fully intend to keep him to his promises.  I was hoping that the new day would lead to new activity, but it seems like the game is really... lurkerful.  As such, I'm hoping to take time tomorrow morning or whenever to read through and figure out which questions need to be asked of which people.  I don't think my usual approach of shouting "GET IN HERE YOU BASTARDS" would be as functional as I'd like ._.;;

I want him to talk, but I'm starting to feel paranoid about the lurker situation in general.  So many people are fitting my ad hoc profiling schema at this point that I need (as previously stated) some more incisive questions.  There's so many of them that it's difficult to create any sort of reasonable wide-scan.

The only people I really trust to be town at this point are myself, ToonyMan, and Zai.  My reads are clouded for the rest.

Sorry if that's at all hard to understand--I had caffeine for the first time in a month or so and it's causing me some parsing problems.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

TheBroodyMoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of men; Slayer of /hench/ men
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 30, 2010, 09:01:09 pm »

Sorry, sorry. I had work + class all day today. My bad. My bad.

Also, I am having trouble dealing with the sheer number of people posting- and all their different persona's. Also, other Mafia game. *whine whine whine*

I remain heavily suspicious of ottofar for his bandwagoning and short posts from the day prior (and seeing his contributions thus far in day two). What have you to say for yourself? My vote stays until I have heard a more concise statement from you explaining your lurky scummy bandwagon luvin' self. I look forward to it.

Toonyman,

I'm not sure if I can explain in much more detail, it's like you got this ball.  I don't have to explain what the ball is made of because you know it's a ball.  Not going to go all made of such and such material you've got the answer right there and you just want to sound like you're actually doing something.

That is an entirely asinine statement: The "Ball" is your entire reason for feeling something. It is the collective thoughts and evidences and such. What the "ball" is made of is totally relevant. You choose not to answer things and get indigent when people ask you for details. You spent all of yesterday playing stupid and whining "I never get past day one anymore, you guis!"

If this is really how you play town, why should you?

Also, TheBroodyMoods didn't take any action at all last night.

Not to sound ungrateful, but what made you choose to target me with your scan action? Why not Eduren whom you actually voted for yesterday? Or Toony or any number of other folks playing? I am curious. I may have missed this, but why are you still suspicious of Eduren, as well? And your thoughts on Ottofar, what are they?

Mysteriousbluepuppet:You plan on voting today? Or are you just FoS Eduren?

Apologies for the shortness of this post. I'll be back with more tomorrow. Sorry.

PPE: Vector, if you have a question of me I would love to answer it. It would likely do more to get me engaged in the game (incentive, if you will). I don't think I'm nearly as scummy as Pandersenic.

Well, I'm cuter anyway. *dimples*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 30, 2010, 09:05:18 pm »

You aren't.  That's what confuses me: you're in a mashed-up zone with Lonewolf, Jokerman, Puppet, Pandarsenic, and Org.  All unreadable, and all in the sideliney direction.

At least Toony is legible =/

But enough whining from me.  More posting and analyzing.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 30, 2010, 09:09:42 pm »

Also, Broody/Pandar are especially tagged as "odd" out of that mix due to their behavior matching some previously-encountered patterns, whereas most of the others seem to be making normal, albeit irregular, posts.

Come to think of it, I'm willing to guess that Puppet is noobish town.  This is a gut guess.  I'll have to see how well a close reading supports the notion.

TheBroodyMoods

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of men; Slayer of /hench/ men
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 30, 2010, 09:13:17 pm »

Ah, well, I am willing to defend my townie-hood with my life and honor.

Also, I am curious about how easily Spartan was found out. From Scum point of view, depending on the players, at what point do you think they realized he was a lost cause? At what point yesterday do you think scum abandoned him? Because I mean for a good portion of the last day he wasn't even on the forum.

I'm directing this at more experienced players as a sort of strategy question. If you were playing scum, at what point would you have cut off the finger (spartan) to save the hand (ottofar and friends :P)?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 30, 2010, 09:14:55 pm »

Vote Count
------------------------
Pandarsenic - IronyOwl,
Org - ToonyMan,
Lonewolf I -
Jokerman-EXE -
Zathras -
Ottofar - Vector, Zai, TheBroodyMoods,
TheBroodyMoods -
Mysteriousbluepuppet -
Vector - Eduren,
IronyOwl - Pandarsenic,
Eduren - Jokerman-EXE, Org,
ToonyMan -
Zai -

Not Voting - Lonewolf I, Mysteriousbluepuppet, Zathras, Ottofar,

Day Ends on Wednesday at 9 PM Central. 7 to Hammer.

Lonewolf I

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 30, 2010, 09:15:57 pm »

Don't get your panties in a knot, ladies.  It's Monday.  The weekend's over.  I'm still here.
I support the renewal of the ranking system.

I'm not sure if I can explain in much more detail, it's like you got this ball.  I don't have to explain what the ball is made of because you know it's a ball.  Not going to go all made of such and such material you've got the answer right there and you just want to sound like you're actually doing something.
You're going with your gut instead of figuring out why your gut feels the way it does before acting on it.  Is that it?  Also, what is this a reply to?

Assuming I'm right, it's a reasonable playstyle, but you really do need to have some work to show when people call you out or you're going to get lynched every time.

Irony Owl and Pandarsenic - Are you fighting over niggling discrepancies in vote counts and ordering because half-remembered impressions were wrong or because they were wrong in such a way that your opponent is forwarding a scum agenda?

This post was ninja'd four six seven times while I went downstairs to eat dinner and help my little sisters with their homework.  It's still fairly relevant, surprisingly. 0.o

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 30, 2010, 09:25:48 pm »

Also, I am curious about how easily Spartan was found out. From Scum point of view, depending on the players, at what point do you think they realized he was a lost cause? At what point yesterday do you think scum abandoned him? Because I mean for a good portion of the last day he wasn't even on the forum.

I'm directing this at more experienced players as a sort of strategy question. If you were playing scum, at what point would you have cut off the finger (spartan) to save the hand (ottofar and friends :P)?

Moi?  It depends on the player.  Some people can't bus to save their lives.  Some people can gauge a losing strategy near the beginning and will nip a rival in the bud.  It kind of depends on how much a player needs other people.

For example, Pandarsenic is an excellent busser/SK.  I've done some bussing in the past, but it's hard for me--I always work better with others than alone, and usually try to run a perfect game.  The scum might not even have abandoned him, ignoring their partner in favor of an illusory sort of distance.  Some people can't stand paying any attention in-thread to whoever they perceive as "shaming them."

For me, it's usually not about cutting off the finger to save the hand.  It's about cutting off the finger because the finger looks like scum, and townie Vector would be performing some serious amputation at that point.  "One hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing," and all that.  So, I'd say that under standard Mafia theory: If he's up to the third or fourth well-reasoned vote and he isn't an excellent liar, it's time to give up on him.  I sometimes find myself leading the attack, though, or never really doing anything but placing a couple of shots across his bow.  Sometimes there's big orchestrated fights.  It's not all planned out and linear.  I just play, do what I feel like, and hope that I'll be able to dig myself out of whatever holes I throw myself in.

Don't get your panties in a knot, ladies.  It's Monday.  The weekend's over.  I'm still here.
I support the renewal of the ranking system.

panties != knotted, glad to have you here Fabio.

Will have to do something about the ranking system/subforum general rules/lackadaisical habits at some point, but first need to wide-scan here and on another subforum + instate the archives  ::)

Jokerman-EXE

• Bay Watcher
  • JUSTICE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 30, 2010, 09:38:07 pm »

Eduren, why does it feel like your current vote is in direct response to the accusations about defending Vector yesterday? Do you have anything else to add as to why you're suspicious, or is it a pressure vote solely?

Also, TheBroodyMoods didn't take any action at all last night.

Not to sound ungrateful, but what made you choose to target me with your scan action? Why not Eduren whom you actually voted for yesterday? Or Toony or any number of other folks playing? I am curious. I may have missed this, but why are you still suspicious of Eduren, as well? And your thoughts on Ottofar, what are they?

Honestly, I just looked at the player list and randomly chose (and it wasn't a scan, it was a block). Why not Eduren? Because I randomly chose you.

I got a PM asking for my action and I didn't have time to really choose because I realized I was holding up the game (and viewing on my phone at the time of the PM), so I just chose someone randomly.

As to Ottofar, I feel that he might well be scum but that he has enough pressure on him that I can focus on finding the others.
Quote from: Solifuge
Jokerman + Solifuge 4 Ever. // <3 <3 <3
Quote from: Org
Derpa  herp // Derpy derp derp herp derp
Quote from: Toaster
BLARG IM DED

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 30, 2010, 09:41:27 pm »

The only people I really trust to be town at this point are myself, ToonyMan, and Zai.  My reads are clouded for the rest.
If I might ask, how the hell is ToonyMan turning up town? He's practically refusing to speak.

Irony Owl and Pandarsenic - Are you fighting over niggling discrepancies in vote counts and ordering because half-remembered impressions were wrong or because they were wrong in such a way that your opponent is forwarding a scum agenda?
The discrepancies over votes is relevant to his claim that he "found" scum, which he's attempting to use as a blanket defense instead of actually explaining himself. While it's suspicious regardless, trying to claim he's done more than he has is even more suspicious, so I'd like that resolved one way or the other.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 30, 2010, 09:49:15 pm »

If I might ask, how the hell is ToonyMan turning up town? He's practically refusing to speak.

Actually... I just realized.  A half-baked analysis that needs more questions.

ToonyMan, how do you feel about being night-killed today?

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 53