Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11

Author Topic: 14th Amendment Shenanigans  (Read 8319 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 14th Amendment Shenanigans
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2010, 03:21:14 pm »

Ugh... I expect the majority of this country to devolve back into apes any second now.

Why is the world progressing so very very slowly?

You can't let a few bad apples spoil everything for you. Overall, things are getting better, and have been for a while. Not many people are willing to say it, but the world has a bright future.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2010, 03:25:35 pm »

I hate patriotism, nationalism, and heritage.

They are just excuses to exclude people.

These ideas are more strongly supported after each passing moment.
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2010, 03:27:59 pm »

This proposal isn't designed to prevent people from breaking the law.
It is designed to keep them from being part of my country.

Humanity should be past this idiotic stuff.
Lines on a map and flags mean nothing.
It is a piece of cloth.
Why does it give you the right to keep other people out of your imaginary border lines?

EDIT: Sorry about the double post, won't happen again.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2010, 03:31:14 pm »

I'm not sure bringing down borders and all sense of national identity would be a good thing.

In fact I'm sure it wouldn't be.

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2010, 03:32:03 pm »

And why not?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 04, 2010, 03:32:46 pm »

I'm not very suprised. Our very minds are set to exclude, and make inclusion look like a breach of common sense. To only care for those within your circle of codependence and relationships. Larger groups mean larger and harder to break circles. Someone enters your family? You almost have no choice but to accept them. Someone enters your community? You might make sure there's nothing malignent or parasitic about them. Someone enters your nation? Extreme paranoia of the outsider.

We start to have...issues...in large groups.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 04, 2010, 03:34:33 pm »

It's human nature. Hell, look at Bay12. We have the "upper forum" and the "lower forum". Clear demarcation, and mostly for the better. The culture up there is not like the culture down here. Peace is maintained by establishing boundaries.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2010, 03:36:50 pm »

Also, there's 7 billion something people in this world and not all of them are willing to be big ol' brothers in arms. You let down the borders between Mexico and America and I guarantee you you've got the biggest fucking riot you've ever seen on your hands.

Also, people want power. Probably it's a natural thing, I don't pretend to know anything about that. If someone in one country invades another, or there's some coup somewhere, why should the entire world contribute their armed forces? Or do anything about it? I know Australia wouldn't want to if it was happening in, say, South Africa. And how are you going to govern all this? Local governors? Then everything'll just end up the way it was before with the borders on the maps drawn in different ways. Probably there'd be a lot of bloodshed before we got to that point though.

It just sounds like an idealistic, unreasonable logistical clusterfuck to me.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 03:39:51 pm by Jackrabbit »

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2010, 03:41:09 pm »

Also, drug cartels in Mexico.  Nobody likes the drug cartels.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2010, 03:45:35 pm »

We have drug cartels here too, btw. They just don't swing their cahones in the same way Mexican ones do.

Do we even need to address the above suggestion? Fan of nationalism or not, it's about as rational as saying "We should make everyone live in large communal houses. Nothing could possibly go wrong with that."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2010, 03:49:01 pm »

Yes, but cartels in the USA don't have anti-aircraft rockets and millitary vehicles. Nor can they fight our army and win.
No Gods, No Masters.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2010, 03:49:31 pm »

Yeah, as much as I hate drawing comparisons or making analogies, it's like saying "Religion has caused many wars (true) and has caused much pain and heartache (also true). Therefore we must get rid of religion."

It's a really, really, appallingly bad idea.
Yes, but cartels in the USA don't have anti-aircraft rockets and millitary vehicles. Nor can they fight our army and win.
Do they need to? I hear they're doing pretty well as they are.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2010, 03:50:27 pm »

I'm guessing the senators that support this read one of those "how hispanic are taking over america" articles and let their already diminute common sense be hijacked.

Its way too much of a trouble to be worth anything. The US has a pretty big problem with illegal immigration, but surely there are better ways then hijacking the century old constitution which has worked so well for so long. In the end all you get is even more commotion over the immigration issue and children lacking citizenship due to the obvious conflict of international legislation that will follow.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2010, 03:52:33 pm »

Yeah, as much as I hate drawing comparisons or making analogies, it's like saying "Religion has caused many wars (true) and has caused much pain and heartache (also true). Therefore we must get rid of religion."

I would have no problem with a world free of religion. Abandoned though, not eliminated. But that's just me, typical libertarian atheist.
No Gods, No Masters.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2010, 03:55:09 pm »

Er, we have militias in the US with both of those things. The only reason they've lost to US law enforcement is because, unlike the cartels, they're already home and have nowhere else to go. So they get into protracted standoffs with the FBI.

You'd be surprised at the arsenals Americans keep. I don't have enough fingers to count the # of people I know carrying just civilian weapons...and I'd need at least one hand to count to the number that possess non-civilian weaponry.

I would have no problem with a world free of religion. Abandoned though, not eliminated. But that's just me, typical libertarian atheist.

Pffft. One man's religion is another's ideology. Removing religion from the equation only changes what the disagreement is about.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 11