Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13

Author Topic: What kind of music does Bay12 like?  (Read 15888 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of music does Bay12 like?
« Reply #120 on: August 04, 2010, 05:49:53 pm »

Bach is brilliant, though, his music sounds a bit, uhm... Mechanical?

[...]

That's quite a hate list. Who do you listen too. :P

Yeah, there's a reason why Bach is the composer of choice for mathematicians >_>

As for the other question?  Bach, Kabalevsky (performance is slightly over tempo), "Pictures at an Exhibition" (prefer piano version), New World Symphony... whatever.  Mostly isolated bits and pieces of various composers.  I like Handel's Water Music and Romanian Rhapsody by Enescu.  Sibelius' violin concerto is nice, too, if a bit melodramatic.

EDIT: Augh, I forgot Camille Saint-Saens!  I love his work, especially Phaeton and Carnival of the Animals.

I am also a secret fan of Rhapsody in Blue, and music by Andrew Bird ._.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 05:51:47 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 04, 2010, 07:01:31 pm »

This needs to be said again

YANN TIERSEN FOREVER
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 04, 2010, 08:03:13 pm »

Music by La Roux. Especially Bulletproof. It's damn catchy.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2010, 12:21:06 am »

I've got a soft spot for contemporary orchestral composers, like Leonard Bernstein, Johnathon Williams, etc. I also loves me some folk songs, and a rare instance when they both come together can be found in the music of Percy Grainger. The guy loved folk songs, and most of his best compositions were inspired by them; he basically went around Europe with a tape recorder, taking musical records of old folk singers who still sang songs that had been passed down via oral tradition for generations, and turned those into orchestral arrangements.

Linconshire Posey is a great example of this... the third movement, Rufford Park Poachers, was based after an old European folk song about poor poachers, who plotted to fight with land-owning nobles for the right to hunt on the land they lived on. I absolutely love the Soprano Saxophone solo in the middle too... such a great atmospheric, emotional piece!

Here's a great vocal version of the original folksong too, for comparison. If you liked it, I'd highly recommend giving the rest of Linconshire Posey a listen!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:30:59 am by Solifuge »

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2010, 12:29:42 am »

You know, after seeing all that classical, I feel damn self-conscious even mentioning Dimmu Borgir, but.... >.>

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2010, 12:43:30 am »

I'll be telling you about my wierdish(well around these parts anyway) musical tastes in a moment, right now i need a fix of something new.I need something like the Firefly soundtrack, the melodies of the Brackenwood series and generally anything energetic, playfull and melodic
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2010, 12:54:37 am »

I'll be telling you about my wierdish(well around these parts anyway) musical tastes in a moment, right now i need a fix of something new.I need something like the Firefly soundtrack, the melodies of the Brackenwood series and generally anything energetic, playfull and melodic

Checked out the Firefly soundtrack a little.  Big surprise: it's full of erhu music!

So, Butterfly Lovers, Dance of the Yao People, and Braid OST (I trust you can find the rest).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 05, 2010, 01:00:28 am »

I've got a soft spot for contemporary orchestral composers, like Leonard Bernstein, Johnathon Williams, etc.

Who doesn't like John Williams works? Even if the person knows nothing but the tune, I can't think of anyone who's reaction is worse than neutral. (Excepting those few pieces written to be disliked.)
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 05, 2010, 01:43:26 am »

(Excepting those few pieces written to be disliked.)

Hehe... speaking of which, the imp in me tends to get a laugh out of musical subversion, too. For instance, Country Band March, by Charles Ives. It was made as a sort of musical parody of Susa Marches (you might pick up on a few familiar ones) and though it's extremely technically difficult, it's written to sound like a band from the deep country that doesn't know how to stay in the same key, same meter, or even on the same song. :3

My orchestra actually played this (and Linconshire Posey) at Carnegie Hall in New York a number of years ago... and after setting them up with Granger's beautiful work, following it with the Ives was just the perfect mindscrew... You should have seen the look on the audience's faces when we finished it... there was at least a 10 second pause between the end of the song, and when the first member of the audience started to applaud. It was great... though the bands from Germany and Japan apparently loved it as is, too
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 01:45:13 am by Solifuge »

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 05, 2010, 02:06:24 am »

Hehe... speaking of which, the imp in me tends to get a laugh out of musical subversion, too. For instance, Country Band March, by Charles Ives.
It's like the ADHD Orchestra being conducted by a paranoid schizophrenic.

It's delightful.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2010, 06:55:54 am »

I've never been able to hold on to a favorite genre, and my sophisticated portable music playing device holds too much music to categorize in a meaningful way. Or possibly not enough music. From too many categories. I don't think I could handle any more, though. Stupid, sexy eight-gigabyte microSD cards. If I had much more than that, I would be just completely overwhelmed. Well, to take some random picks...
Amanda Palmer, Riverdance, Darling Violetta, Dragonforce, all the albums Homestuck spawned, Lady Gaga, Leevi and the Leavings, Maurice Ravel, the Final Fantasy VI soundtrack, The Megas, The VTMB soundtrack, Vivaldi, and a bunch of remixes of Touhou music. It's all very silly.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2010, 08:05:28 am »

Thanks for that Vector, i listened to similar stuff before but it never occured to me they hud amazing pieces like that.
Now on to my ramblings.I used to be a metalhead, a big one at that, but metal quickly got boring in its raw state, i needed something new and unique, something interesting to keep me listening, then while in first grade of highschool i discovered Ensiferum and Korpiklaani, then the summer after that came the musical experimentation, since i had internet i could search fur stuff that i heard only once and liked it, i found many nice stuff this way, Modest Mouse for one, System of a down and some other minor stuff.Then came my RHCP phase and that lasted a few months and somwhere to the end of the second grade i got into some classical stuff, but it was not orchestral compositions, it was mostly movie music LotR especially, then there was Hans Zimmer and his assorted works and some other random movie OST's.Last summer as i started watching anime more activley i started listening to some of their OST's, some interesting stuff, altough the lyrics were always crazy wierd.
From then to now i have been going mostly trough phases, from finding new folk metal bands like Alestorm to getting into blues and jazz, also some stuff i can't classify, Mr. Scruff to name one.But there was always one constant that i could listen anytime, the movie OST's, especially some newer ones like the Transformer and District 9 music which is pure genius.Now i am currently listening mostly to SOAD and RHCP.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Azzuro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2010, 08:46:45 am »

The only music I listen to is that which I'm supposed to be playing...

The piece which we're learning to play now is this. It's not all that hard in terms of notes, but the timing is difficult. Also, another one we're doing is a transcribed version of this. Other than those two, the only music I listen to is all classical.

United Forenia Forever!

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2010, 12:41:02 pm »

Listening to Dvorák's New World Symphony, it's beautiful. It sounds a bit familiar too, reminds me of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. If you haven't heard either of them, do yourself a favor and do so immediately. Both are brilliant.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 05, 2010, 02:27:06 pm »

Listening to Dvorák's New World Symphony, it's beautiful. It sounds a bit familiar too, reminds me of Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade. If you haven't heard either of them, do yourself a favor and do so immediately. Both are brilliant.

:D

One of my best friends spent the past couple years bitching about the bassoon part in Scheherazade.  Aren't they great?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13