Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: What kind of music does Bay12 like?  (Read 15876 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of music does Bay12 like?
« Reply #150 on: September 05, 2010, 04:03:27 pm »

The Cherry Poppin' Daddies are a more modern swing band.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2010, 11:22:49 am »

Listening to We Don't Care by MGMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7AohgMUjUo&feature=related

Sister walks by and says "How do you like that? Its only beeps and sound!"

BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 07, 2010, 12:08:51 pm »

We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: September 07, 2010, 12:11:21 pm »

Listening to We Don't Care by MGMT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7AohgMUjUo&feature=related

Sister walks by and says "How do you like that? Its only beeps and sound!"

Your sister sounds pretty cool.
Shoes...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 07, 2010, 12:14:21 pm »

Helix Nebula, by Anamanaguchi. Chiptunes + Rock; by comparison, this one is much moreso beeps and sound.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 07, 2010, 12:18:08 pm »

I'm currently hooked on a remix of a tune from Starfox Adventures.  I've never played the game and know nothing about, but this is a really good song.  At the least the remix is anyway, I don't know what the original sounds like.  Been listening to a fair number of remixes lately.

Also a lot of REO Speedwagon for some reason.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 07, 2010, 01:39:22 pm »

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2010, 03:31:23 pm »

http://www.myspace.com/grinderman/music/albums/grinderman-2-16550680

I know, like me, you guys have all been waiting for the new Grinderman album. Preview it here (for a week I think). It will surely rock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:49 pm »

Hey folks, I've got a job for you.

So, a course I'm in currently revolves around reading Plato's The Republic.  In it, Socrates extemporizes are painful, mind-numbing length about how to build the perfect society, and the perfect soldiers to guard it.  Central to the idea is censoring everything that could make them distrust the state they will die to defend, and love fighting for it.  This includes music.

The professor is offering an extra credit assignment, and I'm doing it for the Hell of it.  The assignment is to pick five songs that you would use in your super-soldier building project, and five songs would absolutely never let them hear.  The criteria is it can't be anti-establishment or mournful or anything that might take the fight out of them; it should be philosophical, energetic, and should inspire you to hack up people with a xiphos and die gloriously for your city-state.  Of all the playlists turned in, the prof will pick her favorites that she hasn't heard before to send to her husband, who's being deployed (to Korea, but still).  That also means it shouldn't be anything "obvious", for example, "He already has everything by AC/DC, so don't bother."

All I can think of that she probably hasn't gotten yet is The Wicker Man, but I'd rather hear what you crazy metalheads and otherwise come up with.  Pitch and bitch to your heart's content.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 09, 2010, 08:00:13 pm »

So, a course I'm in currently revolves around reading Plato's The Republic.  In it, Socrates extemporizes are painful, mind-numbing length about how to build the perfect society, and the perfect soldiers to guard it.  Central to the idea is censoring everything that could make them distrust the state they will die to defend, and love fighting for it.  This includes music.

The professor is offering an extra credit assignment, and I'm doing it for the Hell of it.  The assignment is to pick five songs that you would use in your super-soldier building project, and five songs would absolutely never let them hear.  The criteria is it can't be anti-establishment or mournful or anything that might take the fight out of them; it should be philosophical, energetic, and should inspire you to hack up people with a xiphos and die gloriously for your city-state.  Of all the playlists turned in, the prof will pick her favorites that she hasn't heard before to send to her husband, who's being deployed (to Korea, but still).  That also means it shouldn't be anything "obvious", for example, "He already has everything by AC/DC, so don't bother."

All I can think of that she probably hasn't gotten yet is The Wicker Man, but I'd rather hear what you crazy metalheads and otherwise come up with.  Pitch and bitch to your heart's content.

That is an awesome assignment. I hated The Republic so much when I had to taoke it up.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 10, 2010, 12:30:55 am »

I don't suppose it's been mentioned that, when a loyal devotee of Socrates put his designs into practice, everything went completely tits-up and Soc was eventually executed for his crimes against humanity?

Anyways "Us and Them" is melancholy and anti-war, with a certain root in philosophy as it comments on the absurdity of war.  Definitely not something you'd want a soldier listening to.  I don't know how "obvious" Pink Floyd qualifies as though.  I can always hope that it's fairly obvious, but you never know.

For positive stuff, I can't really say.  I don't listen to much music that falls under the stated guidelines.  This, maybe?  It's got a little bit of that warrior thing going on.  Can't say how philosophical it is though.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 10, 2010, 12:56:47 am »

I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 10, 2010, 08:27:34 am »

Listening to Phaedra by Tangerine Dream. Incredibly spacy.

...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 10, 2010, 10:31:16 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhKe-Z-NhBs

For strength

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQkActP-isE

What they shouldnt hear.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 10, 2010, 01:54:25 pm »

@Aqizzar: what do you mean, precisely, by "philosophical music?"  Are you talking about the lyrics, or the structure of the song itself?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13