Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57551 times)

janet986w

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]
« Reply #870 on: September 01, 2010, 05:31:04 am »

In this thread, we will conduct a ladder tournament between various fictional (or non-fiction) characters.  Each round will be a FIGHT TO THE DEATH!

Each round will last approximately two days.  During the round, anyone may present an argument for or against the victory of a character.  At the end of the round, the judge will make a decision on the victor after taking all arguments into account.  The result will be posted, and the next round will start. 

The rules for submissions are as follows: 
  • The character may NOT have any form of invincibility.  (Ex: Superman)
  • The character may NOT originate from these forums, a Bay12 game, or the submitter.  (Ex: Bronze Colossus)
  • The character must be within the range of 1/4th the size of a normal human to 4 times the size of a normal human.  (Ex: Godzilla)
  • For a submission to be accepted, it must contain a link to reasonably detailed information on that character. 
  • If there are multiple versions of a character, one must be specified at the time of submission. 
  • The judge reserves the right to veto any character due to reasons of personal bias. 
  • The character must NOT rely heavily on luck.  (Ex: Commissar Ciaphas Cain, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!)
  • ONE CHARACTER ONLY.  Mounts of the same caliber as a warhorse are allowed, if good reason is given. 
  • Reasonable levels of power please.  (Ex: Goku)
  • Maximum of two characters from any given series. 
These rules are subject to change at any time. 

SUBMISSIONS ARE CLOSED

The tournament has started. 

Guts
                   +----+
Ajax --------------+    |
                        +----+
Sollux Captor           |    |
                   +----+    |
Snikrot -----------+         |
                             +----+
Roy Mustang -------+         |    |
                   +----+    |    |
Problem Sleuth          |    |    |
                        +----+    |
Isaac -------------+    |         |
                   +----+         |
Jonathan Gabriel --+              |
                                  +--Winner
Don Kanonji                       |
                   +----+         |
Sam Vimes ---------+    |         |
                        +----+    |
Luke Skywalker ----+    |    |    |
                   +----+    |    |
Canis Wolfborn ----+         |    |
                             +----+
Terra Branford ----+         |
                   +----+    |
Gilgamesh               |    |
                        +----+
Tex ---------------+    |
                   +----+
Dr. Clef ----------+

Thanks to ein for putting links in the chart.

Thanks you for the post.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 01, 2010, 05:53:19 am »

Barb, not once have I heard mention of a tropical island. Ever. For this contest, from Problem Sleuth v. Mustang onwards, I've been using a bombed-out old city. There might be a single working hydrant somewhere in the midst of it all, but that's not enough to submerge in.

Another thing is that you're using instances where he walked through passive fire that's just doing its own thing, all cool and shit. Mustang isn't going to deal with that pansy fire. He fights dirty with the stuff. I can guarantee the first thing he's going to do is burn Ajax's eyes out, as he often does.

As for sleeping vs. not sleeping, a hardened war veteran isn't the kind of guy that needs beauty sleep. Hell, you see pretty much everyone except the villains sleep in Fullmetal Alchemist, but not Mustang. The guy works tirelessly, he isn't going to fall asleep when he knows the second he does, he dies.

So yeah, even if Ajax is partially submerged in water, he'll also be blind. Not a good situation to be in, as even with whatever super-senses you'll claim he has next, he'll likely miss that vital first shot against Mustang, revealing his underarm for a devastating fiery blast.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 01, 2010, 07:20:54 am »

Bro, the reason Tex won the last round was because the arena is a tropical island. Ed boy has said so, and as he is judge and I am judge for this round, I agree.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 01, 2010, 08:15:40 am »

As for sleeping vs. not sleeping, a hardened war veteran isn't the kind of guy that needs beauty sleep. Hell, you see pretty much everyone except the villains sleep in Fullmetal Alchemist, but not Mustang. The guy works tirelessly, he isn't going to fall asleep when he knows the second he does, he dies.
He may stay awake, but he will tire, and his attacks will begin to slow, his reaction time increasing.

So yeah, even if Ajax is partially submerged in water, he'll also be blind. Not a good situation to be in, as even with whatever super-senses you'll claim he has next, he'll likely miss that vital first shot against Mustang, revealing his underarm for a devastating fiery blast.
What part of 'The only vulnerable part is his pits' didn't you get? Ajax probably knows about that, considering that's where he knew to stab himself. Against such an opponent, Ajax could play it defensively until Mustang was worn out. Yes, he could probably stand still until Roy exhausted himself by snapping every five seconds for a week.

Another thing is that you're using instances where he walked through passive fire that's just doing its own thing, all cool and shit. Mustang isn't going to deal with that pansy fire. He fights dirty with the stuff. I can guarantee the first thing he's going to do is burn Ajax's eyes out, as he often does.
Maybe you're overestimating the power of an oxygen-based fuel source. Oxygen fires, as stated before, reach up to 1850*F, in perfect conditions. Burning buildings on the other hand, get as hot or hotter all the time, due to their size. The world trade center reached 1500*F without even being made of flammable substances! As for his eyes, if they weren't melted out by a 1900*F fire that was all around him, including the smoke that would be getting in them, they won't be melted by a 1850*F fire that has no smoke whatsoever.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 01, 2010, 03:41:02 pm »

Bro, the reason Tex won the last round was because the arena is a tropical island. Ed boy has said so, and as he is judge and I am judge for this round, I agree.

OK, well how large is the island? There's always the option that Mustang could just say "fuck it" and leave Ajax in the water until he's willing to fight on land.

He may stay awake, but he will tire, and his attacks will begin to slow, his reaction time increasing.
Well if he's in the water, I highly doubt Mustang would want to keep snapping constantly. He isn't some mindless drone that starts snapping and doesn't stop until the enemy's dead, especially when the snapping isn't hurting him.

What part of 'The only vulnerable part is his pits' didn't you get? Ajax probably knows about that, considering that's where he knew to stab himself. Against such an opponent, Ajax could play it defensively until Mustang was worn out. Yes, he could probably stand still until Roy exhausted himself by snapping every five seconds for a week.
So Mustang is fighting an enemy whose only weak point is a place he can protect by not lifting his arms, and can fight for a week without getting tired or dying of thirst. While I'm willing to debate to the last, I have no choice but to call BULL FUCKING SHIT.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: September 01, 2010, 04:33:24 pm »

I've gotta say... If all ajax has to do to remain unharmed is keep his arms by his sides he should be disqualified. Invincibility was specifically forbidden.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: September 01, 2010, 04:47:47 pm »

Ajax realizes that he is has violated the rules of this contest. He swims away from the island in disgust.

WINNER: MUSTANG, by a Technicality

EDIT: Note that Ajax's previous wins are not null and void, as those opponents were judged to be beaten without any mention of his invulnerability.

NEXT ROUND: Luke Skywalker (As he appeared in the movies) vs. Tex

Guts

Ajax

Sollux Captor   

Snikrot         
                             +----+
Roy Mustang -------+         |    |
                   +----+    |    |
Problem Sleuth          |    |    |
                        +----+    |
Isaac                             |

Jonathan Gabriel                  |
                                  +--Winner
Don Kanonji                       |
                   +----+         |
Sam Vimes               |         |
                        +----+    |
Luke Skywalker ----+    |    |    |
                   +----+    |    |
Canis Wolfborn               |    |
                             +----+
Terra Branford               |
                   +----+    |
Gilgamesh               |    |
                        +----+
Tex ---------------+    |
                   +----+
Dr. Clef

So Mustang is fighting an enemy whose only weak point is a place he can protect by not lifting his arms, and can fight for a week without getting tired or dying of thirst. While I'm willing to debate to the last, I have no choice but to call BULL FUCKING SHIT.

Cj, if you want any of us to take you seriously, you need to cut the whining, as ToonyMan has previously pointed out.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 04:51:11 pm by Josephus »
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 01, 2010, 04:53:09 pm »

Hmm... while luke will have no problem hitting an invisible foe, and his saber will probably chop through Tex's armor just as easily as it does everything else, Tex's weapons might be a problem... The deciding factor will be: Can a lightsaber deflect ordinary bullets?
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: September 01, 2010, 04:54:23 pm »

The problem with limiting Luke to the movieverse isn't that he's less powerful, but that we have no idea what he's capable of. The EU Luke has clearly defined limits. The movieverse look does not.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: September 01, 2010, 04:56:08 pm »

Hmm... while luke will have no problem hitting an invisible foe, and his saber will probably chop through Tex's armor just as easily as it does everything else, Tex's weapons might be a problem... The deciding factor will be: Can a lightsaber deflect ordinary bullets?

Response : Luke can deflect overheated plasma with his saber. These projectile are as fast as normal bullets. Normal bullet are destroyed on contact to saber. Luke wins this.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 01, 2010, 04:56:43 pm »

What whining? Sorry if you have a problem with the way I speak, but that's my way of pointing out a problem that needed attention. I wasn't whining about anything, and was fully prepared to explain why Mustang would win. Hence the term "debate to the last". I just had to point it out.

That comment was kind of cutting; very mean of you, really.

On topic, Tex wins this round hands-down. Precognition is a useful feature on Luke's part, and he could easily Force Push away any of Tex's heavy weapons. But her Battle Rifle is a 3-shot burst weapon, and with its slight spread there's no way Luke could block all three shots with his lightsaber, and then set up a block for the next burst certain to come a second or less later. He would have to sneak up on her, which is highly unlikely given Tex's previous affinity for stealth.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 01, 2010, 05:05:40 pm »

What whining? Sorry if you have a problem with the way I speak, but that's my way of pointing out a problem that needed attention. I wasn't whining about anything, and was fully prepared to explain why Mustang would win. Hence the term "debate to the last". I just had to point it out.

'Your way' of pointing out problems is like a thirteen year old who just learned how to curse. If you're going to point something out, do so in a manner that doesn't make you sound like a child.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 01, 2010, 05:15:31 pm »

'Your way' of pointing out problems is like a thirteen year old who just learned how to curse. If you're going to point something out, do so in a manner that doesn't make you sound like a child.

One curse turns me into a thirteen-year old child?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 01, 2010, 05:29:00 pm »

One curse turns me into a thirteen-year old child?

Nope. The way you phrase your sentences merely makes you sound like one.

Now, argue more, Tex needs more points. I'm wondering where the Luke supporters are, because he also needs points. Remember you can argue precedence.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 01, 2010, 05:30:34 pm »

Don't blame me, blame Homestuck. After a while you just start to type like that. And I am serious, you were kind of a dick about the whole thing.

Regardless I've made my points already. I'm waiting for a response.
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 66