Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57532 times)

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]
« Reply #885 on: September 01, 2010, 06:16:28 pm »

What whining? Sorry if you have a problem with the way I speak, but that's my way of pointing out a problem that needed attention. I wasn't whining about anything, and was fully prepared to explain why Mustang would win. Hence the term "debate to the last". I just had to point it out.

That comment was kind of cutting; very mean of you, really.

On topic, Tex wins this round hands-down. Precognition is a useful feature on Luke's part, and he could easily Force Push away any of Tex's heavy weapons. But her Battle Rifle is a 3-shot burst weapon, and with its slight spread there's no way Luke could block all three shots with his lightsaber, and then set up a block for the next burst certain to come a second or less later. He would have to sneak up on her, which is highly unlikely given Tex's previous affinity for stealth.

A good jedi can block more than 5 shot a second, knowing where the shot are going to hit thus placing the saber at the right place. With the fluff, a master of the defensive style, i don't remember the name can block up to 20. by the way, it is Ben Kenobi style, and most likely the one luke learned. A defensive style that wait for the opponent mistakes.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: September 01, 2010, 06:39:36 pm »

Yeah, Obi-Wan was the defensive master. But I'm pretty sure that Luke was taught the basic forms first, which were more well-balanced but that isn't a very good thing here. Now, help me out here, honestly. The battle rifle has a very weird spread, with each bullet tending to go in a different direction on the average shot. The distance is certainly more than a lightsaber blade's width. So how would Luke be able to block a bullet to the upper torso, the stomach, and one of his arms in one sweep?
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: September 01, 2010, 06:49:39 pm »

Wait, would a metal bullet still be deflected by a lightsaber? or would it just melt and spray the Lightsaber user with molten metal?
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: September 01, 2010, 06:56:09 pm »

Wait, would a metal bullet still be deflected by a lightsaber? or would it just melt and spray the Lightsaber user with molten metal?

I thought about that too, but I think it'd be unfair to let Tex have that kind of instant-kill. She can beat Luke on her own skill, not with some cheap physics on her side.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: September 01, 2010, 07:00:48 pm »

espcially since it would not work. lead would vaporize instantly at these temperatures.

As for the spread, if you got a gun that has such a wide spread it is not a good gun. Spread is mostly veritcal, due to recoil. That's exactly what the defense style is good against, since you are to keep your saber upright close to the body.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: September 01, 2010, 07:34:52 pm »

espcially since it would not work. lead would vaporize instantly at these temperatures.

As for the spread, if you got a gun that has such a wide spread it is not a good gun. Spread is mostly veritcal, due to recoil. That's exactly what the defense style is good against, since you are to keep your saber upright close to the body.

That's the thing, though: the battle rifle ISN'T all that great a gun. But here, it's actually perfect because its firing pattern is so randomized.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: September 01, 2010, 07:37:07 pm »

Yeah, if Tex simply puts it to full auto (canonically, it's a selective-fire weapon, from semi-auto, 3-burst to full auto) and fire in controlled bursts, or simply uses the burst fire, I'd put my money on Tex.

If it comes to melee, would the whole being a SPARTAN help? I mean, they've got SOOPER reflexes and shit, not to mention years of training since childhood to be cold-stonehearted killers...

edit 4 bad spellinz
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 07:40:49 pm by Acanthus117 »
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: September 01, 2010, 07:39:11 pm »

Ajax realizes that he is has violated the rules of this contest. He swims away from the island in disgust.

WINNER: MUSTANG, by a Technicality
Couldn't Roy just try to wrestle Ajax's pits open and incinerate him? Alternatively, just go for the unprotected neck? (If you remember, the linked article spoke of both his neck and pits being weak points.)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: September 01, 2010, 07:42:32 pm »

Yeah, if Tex simply puts it to full auto (canoncially, it's a selective-fire weapon, from semi-auto, 3-burst to full auto) and fire in controlled bursts, or simply uses the burst fire, I'd put my money on Tex.

If it comes to melee, would the whole being a SPARTAN help? I mean, they've got SOOPER reflexes and shit, not to mention years of training since childhood to be cold-stonehearted killers...

Well, with AI help the single luckiest SPARTAN ever (that's actually a canon fact) managed to deflect a missile with his bare hand. So Tex would stand a chance in melee, just not a great one considering the instant-kill nature of Luke's lightsaber and his Force sense.

However, one thing we're not really discussing is the prep time. Tex is a disciplined soldier, and has shown to be really good at thinking up traps and tactics to win battles she normally couldn't. She'd probably spend a lot of time (3-5 hours) thinking specifically of how Luke's combat style works, and how to defeat him. So you never know what she might come up with.

@Barbarossa: An ordinary man has no chance in hell of wrestling open Ajax's arms. And this is the first time the weak neck has been mentioned. And if his neck is a weak-point, Mustang more or less insta-wins with the first flame. Also, logic alert.

If Ajax's neck is susceptible, shouldn't his throat be as well? Thus, he should have at the very least gained a horrid, incurable cough from being in that fire. Considering he did not, I'm not seeing how it's all that important a detail.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: September 01, 2010, 07:46:07 pm »

Also, Mustang could simply siphon all the oxygen from around Ajax, or do the opposite and kill him from too much oxygen.

but that's in the past.

So yeah, my money's on Tex.
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: September 01, 2010, 07:54:18 pm »

@Barbarossa: An ordinary man has no chance in hell of wrestling open Ajax's arms. And this is the first time the weak neck has been mentioned. And if his neck is a weak-point, Mustang more or less insta-wins with the first flame. Also, logic alert.

If Ajax's neck is susceptible, shouldn't his throat be as well? Thus, he should have at the very least gained a horrid, incurable cough from being in that fire. Considering he did not, I'm not seeing how it's all that important a detail.
It's an important detail because Ajax wasn't harmed by the fire, yet he was wounded in the neck during a spar with Diomedes. Obviously his neck just has DR 999 / Slashing, Piercing, or Bludgeoning.

As for the 'ordinary man' statement, nobody in this competition is an ordinary man. Snikrot might have had a chance at wrestling his arms open, Guts might, and Tex might with her robo-suit*, to name a few.

*A robo-suit that allows the flipping of tanks.

Also, Mustang could simply siphon all the oxygen from around Ajax, or do the opposite and kill him from too much oxygen.
If he can hold his breath long enough to stay underwater for days, he can hold his breath long enough to fight.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: September 01, 2010, 07:55:53 pm »

wait what

I didn't know that

that's fucking cool
YOU DOUBLE PENIS

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: September 01, 2010, 07:58:22 pm »

wait what

I didn't know that

that's fucking cool

I admit, it IS fucking awesome. But it just works against him in this sort of contest.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: September 01, 2010, 08:01:15 pm »

Ajax realizes that he is has violated the rules of this contest. He swims away from the island in disgust.

WINNER: MUSTANG, by a Technicality
Couldn't Roy just try to wrestle Ajax's pits open and incinerate him? Alternatively, just go for the unprotected neck? (If you remember, the linked article spoke of both his neck and pits being weak points.)

Yeah, I figured I may have judged this one a little hastily. But Ajax is a bit overpowered, especially if we take into account precedence - he beat Guts and Snikrot. Let's just chalk it up to a "Ajax would have won if not for the DQ ruling".
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: September 01, 2010, 08:04:26 pm »

That would also imply that Luke as prep time. Slugtrower still exist, hell, sandpeople shoot Luke speeder with them. They were replaced since they were less effective than laser rifles. Again, A jedi can stop more than 5 attack a secat the least, and precognitive sense also help to get out off ambush and out of the way of bullets. If she stop shooting for even a second to reload he can force pull or push her.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 66