Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57695 times)

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]
« Reply #630 on: August 12, 2010, 07:57:51 pm »

I'd stake Gabe being faster, but Isaac's primary party role is Mario Bruiser. He can heal or revive his partymates, dish out damage, and is of medium speed. The question is whether Gabe's specialization can overcome Isaac's balance.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 12, 2010, 08:10:31 pm »

Hmm... that is true, Isaac is best when he has others to back him up. He was always the hardest hitter on my team though.(mainly because only the main characters can wield the Sol Blade...) I still give the win to him, mainly because of his range advantage.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 12, 2010, 08:22:30 pm »

Gabe still wins it for me. Isaac does appear to have some good moves, but Gabe definitely has superior speed, and most likely strength as well. You mention that Gabe is supposedly incapable of reaching melee, but there's still no guarantee he would be hit either.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 13, 2010, 03:46:57 pm »

Couldn't you have at least waited for me to come online to defend my champion? Anyway, now that I'm here...

especially as he has no way of restoring PP without any of the other adepts.
Actually, all he needs is a Psy Crystal, which he can carry 30 of, and he could easily get all 30 from monster drops within the three days of preparation time he's allowed.

I'd say this fight will probably be over fast. Gabe is probably stronger than Isaac, but isn't nearly as tough. One or two hits will take down either one.
I think you're probably right, given that, Isaac's psynergy aside, they're both regular humans, and Isaac's psynergy doesn't help him defensively speaking (healing =/= defense, and besides, if Gabe gets the first hit in on Isaac, the latter is probably not going to get far away enough to cast Potent Cure without being hit again). I also think that Isaac is going to be the one to get those hits, due to his range.

Gabe still wins it for me. Isaac does appear to have some good moves, but Gabe definitely has superior speed, and most likely strength as well. You mention that Gabe is supposedly incapable of reaching melee, but there's still no guarantee he would be hit either.
I disagree. In the games, Grand Gaia hits up to 7 enemies, meaning in a fight against 4, it's guaranteed to hit all of them. So while Gabe could probably dodge the brunt of one of these, I doubt he'd avoid being hit altogether. Even if he does only get hit by the edge of the blast, that's still 40% of max damage. Okay, so that means Isaac now needs 4 or 5 hits to take Gabe down, but since he's got range, he can do it.
I don't want to set the world on fire
Oh wait, I do.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 13, 2010, 05:22:40 pm »

Also, if Isaac has all the Djinn, he can class change to Ronin. Ronin(and it's upgraded form I can't remember the name of) can summon a homing dragon made of fire. Not to mention summons like Judgement that decimate the whole battlefield with equal strength. Isaac wouldn't need his most damaging attacks to end the fight quick, and some weaker ones are much harder to dodge.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 13, 2010, 06:09:41 pm »

I would vote Isaac. Sol Blade is Stronger than Cardboard.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 13, 2010, 06:29:22 pm »

So far, based on my research and the arguments people have put forth, I'm leaning towards Isaac. Although Isaac does play is more of a Mario role, the deadliness of Gabriel seems to be a lot more intermittent and dependant on Rule of Cool.

Of course, I don't want to make a decision just yet, and neither am I the most well-versed in the respective character universes, so feel free to correct me/confirm my suspicions/provide examples/provide counterexamples.

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 14, 2010, 09:01:57 am »

Also, if Isaac has all the Djinn, he can class change to Ronin. Ronin(and it's upgraded form I can't remember the name of) can summon a homing dragon made of fire. Not to mention summons like Judgement that decimate the whole battlefield with equal strength. Isaac wouldn't need his most damaging attacks to end the fight quick, and some weaker ones are much harder to dodge.
Somehow, I don't think he's allowed all the djinn. All the Venus djinn maybe, but not the others. He can do the job with Grand Gaia, though.
Oh wait, I do.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: August 14, 2010, 09:04:54 am »

Somehow, I don't think he's allowed all the djinn. All the Venus djinn maybe, but not the others. He can do the job with Grand Gaia, though.

Man, Grand Gaia is weaker in terms of potential damage output than Ragnarok, and Ragnarok/Odyssey can't even one-shot most creatures (of an appropriate level).
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: August 14, 2010, 01:57:45 pm »

Man, Grand Gaia is weaker in terms of potential damage output than Ragnarok, and Ragnarok/Odyssey can't even one-shot most creatures (of an appropriate level).
Multiple Grand Gaias will do the job though, and since they're ranged, he can pull that off.

And if we're talking about just damage, psynergy like Ragnarok and Odyssey aren't as strong as weapon unleashes anyway, due to how damage is calculated. Unfortunately, weapon unleashes aren't guaranteed to happen, since they're basically just critical hits for artifact weapons.
Oh wait, I do.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: August 14, 2010, 02:06:59 pm »

The sol blade does drop the sun on your enemy about 50-75% of the time though. I don't know the numbers, but I know it happened more often than normal attacks.

DaPatman

• Bay Watcher
  • GoL FTW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: August 14, 2010, 04:51:48 pm »

The sol blade does drop the sun on your enemy about 50-75% of the time though. I don't know the numbers, but I know it happened more often than normal attacks.
You're confusing it with Iris. Iris hurls your opponents into the sun, the Sol Blade's unleash just has you jump into the air and use the sword like a baseball bat to hit a meteor at your opponent

It also only happens 35% of the time, though that value can be boosted with certain armour.

...actually, it can be boosted to 100% (or 99% if you don't want to be cursed by the Demon Circlet and don't hack to get the Ninja Sandals). Screw Grand Gaia, just spam Megiddo. No way Gabe's avoiding all those meteors.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 04:55:10 pm by DaPatman »
Oh wait, I do.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: August 16, 2010, 02:41:55 am »

WINNER:ISAAC

NEXT ROUND: Luke Skywalker (As he appeared in the movies) VS Canis wolfborn

Guts
                   +----+
Ajax --------------+    |
                        +----+
Sollux Captor           |    |
                   +----+    |
Snikrot -----------+         |
                             +----+
Roy Mustang -------+         |    |
                   +----+    |    |
Problem Sleuth          |    |    |
                        +----+    |
Isaac -------------+    |         |
                   +----+         |
Jonathan Gabriel                  |
                                  +--Winner
Don Kanonji                       |
                   +----+         |
Sam Vimes ---------+    |         |
                        +----+    |
Luke Skywalker ----+    |    |    |
                   +----+    |    |
Canis Wolfborn ----+         |    |
                             +----+
Terra Branford ----+         |
                   +----+    |
Gilgamesh               |    |
                        +----+
Tex ---------------+    |
                   +----+
Dr. Clef

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: August 16, 2010, 03:29:14 am »

I suspect that a stab is unlikely to be lethal to Canis, however any sort of decent slash from a lightsaber should finish the match. I suspect that at close range, Luke has the advantage.
At longer ranges, Luke can most probably resist a beam of fire, Can Canis produce fire over a large area, or explosives?
Luke possesses minor precognitive and telekinetic properties that could potentially combine to deflect a small number of large projectiles, althugh I don't really see what will stop sustained bolter-fire. Could Canis be persuaded to choose to enter melee range voluntarily?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: August 16, 2010, 08:58:37 am »

I was under the impression that Canis actually prefers melee range. He certainly would think he has nothing to fear from Luke, as he appears to be wielding a melee version of the Imperial Guards' lasrifle, which isn't that effective against Space Marines. Therefore, he's in for a nasty surprised when Luke manages to trap or otherwise incapacitate his mount, then match him blow for blow in melee.

I think the only part of Canis' armament that can repeatedly resist Luke's lightsaber blows are the Lightning Claws, so it comes down more to who the more strategic duelist is. It can be made abundantly clear that Luke has far more talent than any other Jedi, as with only a few months of training he managed to take on and defeat the second most powerful person in the galaxy, in their preferred style of combat. It took a lot of ingenuity as well, as Luke is shown at being particularly good at hiding in plain sight. Therefore, Canis' ranged abilities, if he has any for this fight (which I doubt) would be useless against him.

Luke could augment his stealth by using the force to disturb objects, making Canis think he's somewhere else, distracting him while he moves for the killing blow. Luke has shown no problem with killing irredeemable foes, so I doubt he'll have any trouble killing a fanatic who burns entire worlds for not worshiping the Emperor.

In a direct melee fight, Canis might have the advantage of speed, though Luke has shown that it will not ever be a direct melee fight for long.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 66