Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 66

Author Topic: Fight to the Death: [ROUND SIX: TEX VS DR.CLEF]  (Read 57850 times)

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
Re: Fight to the Death: What other thread? [ROUND ONE: GUTS VS AJAX]
« Reply #240 on: July 23, 2010, 03:21:08 pm »

Can non-combatant-posters comment?

If it was told in the OP, I missed it.

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: July 23, 2010, 03:31:05 pm »

Anybody can present a case for a combatant.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

aurixdarastrix

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here, move along
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: July 23, 2010, 03:32:34 pm »

Can non-combatant-posters comment?

If it was told in the OP, I missed it.
Oh yeah.  ANYONE can present an argument for either side. 

Also, as a response to what's been going on in the MORE FAVORITE thread:  THERE WILL BE NO TEAM-UPS. 
[INTERMITTENTLY_ACTIVE]

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: July 23, 2010, 03:33:01 pm »

Also, as a response to what's been going on in the MORE FAVORITE thread:  THERE WILL BE NO TEAM-UPS.

:(
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: July 23, 2010, 03:40:37 pm »

IIRC Ajax's armor has about twenty layers of metals in it, bronze, brass, copper...

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: July 23, 2010, 03:47:06 pm »

That's true, but a car is about as strong as far as metallic strength goes. And yet, if an extremely strong man swung a hammer the size of himself at it, it's still punch through, or at least seriously hurt whatever was inside. Namely, Ajax.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: July 23, 2010, 03:56:27 pm »

In other myths, Ajax alone stopped a ship from sailing off with his bare hands, even though a gale sent by Apollo was tugging at the sails and the sailors were rowing as quickly as possible. I'm certain that he could withstand a hammer blow.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: July 23, 2010, 03:58:03 pm »

But Ajax is more endurant(whatever the word is), than most of humankind, and could be able to endure the blow.

Ninja'd

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: July 23, 2010, 04:53:05 pm »

In other myths, Ajax alone stopped a ship from sailing off with his bare hands, even though a gale sent by Apollo was tugging at the sails and the sailors were rowing as quickly as possible. I'm certain that he could withstand a hammer blow.

Ah, but the hammer blow is coming from Guts, and you damn well know there'll be more than one.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 23, 2010, 06:13:47 pm »

"The Trojan attack was turned back by the timely arrival of additional Greek troops led by Achilles' close friend Patroclus. Hector killed Patroclus and took his armor. Ajax covered the naked corpse with his shield. At the funeral games held in honor of Patroclus, Ajax competed in a number of events, including a wrestling contest with Odysseus that ended in a tie."

According to my research, the shield of Ajax was over five feet tall in addition to its incredible thickness. (Patrocles was a little over 5 feet tall, around the average height for ancient Greeks.) Ajax himself was over 6'6", nearly a foot taller than any of the other Greek Heroes whose heights have been found. Like Guts, he is incredibly agile for his size, even dodging some of the the numerous arrows aimed at him (he was a big target).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 06:49:14 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: July 23, 2010, 06:18:49 pm »

Well, I believe I gave Ajax the advantages of Endurance and Agility as it was. However, upon viewing this I may have to reconsider my entire judgment process, as even if Guts has more categories, Ajax's advantages could in theory be great enough to give him the match.

At the moment, however, I still have faith in Guts, though I'm considering changing my opinion in favor of Ajax in light of recent details.

aurixdarastrix

• Bay Watcher
  • Nothing to see here, move along
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: July 24, 2010, 12:20:23 am »

Well, this round is rather close.  I'm going to sleep on the matter, check if any new arguments were posted overnight, then make a decision.  So, round ends soon. 
[INTERMITTENTLY_ACTIVE]

Azure Sepulchre

• Bay Watcher
  • Y'all have knocked her up.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: July 24, 2010, 02:41:22 am »

Guts fractured the scales of a demonic dragon monster-thing with a single swing of his sword - scales, I hasten to add, that were supposed to be a good bit stronger than steel. I don't care how many ships he can stop; unless Ajax is wearing armour made of diamond Guts' sword would cleave through both his shield and his flesh like a very large knife through butter. Ah, and - like CJ said - you can be quite sure there'll be more than one swing. Quite a few more.

You do also realize that Guts feels no pain - no pain at all - in the berserker armour? That broken bones are immediately forced back into place? That he won't fall until his body simply cannot function any longer? Considering what it takes to even begin to contend with Guts on the battlefield, can Ajax really contend with that kind of stamina? Not to mention the arm cannon he has on his arm, which by all rights should obliterate any one man; unless there is precedent for Ajax resisting the onslaught or after-effects of direct cannon fire.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: July 24, 2010, 03:49:13 am »

Which is exactly Guts' problem, a massive sword is all well and good for fighting something that weighs several tonnes and may need to be mashed before it will stop, but a spear can quickly and elegantly end a fight against a foe with an anatomy that you are familiar with. Ajax is fast and agile with protections that should comfortably deflect a glancing blow, the wide edge on the giant sword will reduce its ability to catch and dig into armour making its power largely irrelevant. Besides, it needs to be swing, Ajax is smart and tactical, he will withdraw into a building with cover against the cannon and cramped enough to slow down the sword, a simple spear jab later and it is all over...

Oh, in the absence of any alternative accepted suggestions, I believe that my idea of battles occurring at the Smithsonian has won by default...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: July 24, 2010, 07:46:48 am »

Very true. It's simple physics - Fd=mv2. Although he can no doubt provide a not insignificant F, it's been previosuly stated that the m of the sword is massive, and as a result the sword will not swing very fast.

It's the same with all large weapons - When they hit, they have a huge momentum and can be very effective. However, theuir size makes it almost, if not impossible to hit a fast and tactical foe (like ajax).

Even if ajax does get hit, it's not the end of matters. The damage would depend on the relative speeds of the sword and ajax. By moving with the sword instead of trying to resist it, Ajax would be able to greatly lessen the effects of the blow.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 66