Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35

Author Topic: Worst Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 49436 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #120 on: July 19, 2010, 02:41:16 pm »

True, you didn't. I just assumed since you referenced it in the same breath as Oblivion, you meant FO3.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 19, 2010, 02:41:28 pm »

For an open ended rpg its poorly designed. If you want example of well done open ended rpg just take a look at Fallout.

Better, still not great. There are some lessons Bethesda learned from Oblivion, and some they didn't.

They learned that cities shouldn't have overwhelming amounts of stuff to see and do. Being tighter and focused, you didn't have to work your ass off just to find the interesting stuff.

They learned that travel just for realism's sake isn't that interesting, and spaced out content a lot better.

They learned that only having 6 voice actors for all the non-important people was a bad idea.

They (mostly) learned that dungeons need to be interesting and varied. (The metro stations though...man those got old fast. The metro underground is like 50% of the game's dungeons, and is as redundant as all get out.)

However, they still made a lot of mistakes.

Mechanically, Fallout undercuts it's own premise. Post-apocalypse is supposed to be tough to survive. No real food/water dynamic, tame radiation mechanics, super quick healing, all that jazz....basically killed the post apocalyptic theme for me from the outset. Oblivion's mechanics did the same thing to it. You maxed out early and ceased to care from that point on about your character. In Oblivion, it was the rate at which your primary skills increased that screwed things up, relative to the progress you made on secondary skills. In Fallout 3, it was the massive amounts of XP they let you get with the right perks. Hell, hacking computers and picking locks alone can get you maxed out, forget the hordes of bandits.

They also used groups of bandits defending junk in the middle of nowhere as content. Bandits above ground are to Fallout what dungeons were to Oblivion; something to break up travel.

Fallout was better open-world than Oblivion...but still not great. Bethesda has a formula for how they design overworld content, and they have yet to do it in a way where you don't see the sausage getting made as you play it.
It inherited most of those things from the original Fallout. Water and food was never an issue and if you focused on one weapon type you'd become awesomely powerful really fast (I remember one-bursting almost everything with an SMG early on and in another game almost all creatures would quickly be torn apart by my snoiper). There was always waaay to much ammo for the game to be tense and the only time combat got interesting was if you ended up surrounded in some way. Or if you were not using normal guns for some reason and even then the ability of most advanced guns to auto-melt nearly everything mitigated the trouble of finding ammo for them. Never played melee though, so that could've been a challenge.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 19, 2010, 02:47:47 pm »

Meh. They departed from Fallout deliberately in some places, I don't buy that they wanted to capture the old skool feel of Fallout there. Modern survival/survival horror games have gone much farther since then. I think they were actually going to have a full sleep/food model, but ran out of time or commitment. You don't create 10+ pieces of food just to slap +X health on them.

We're also comparing a top-down RPG to a FPS RPG. So I don't think the rationale quite tracks. 

Fallout 3 just inherited everything Bethesda knows or likes about RPG mechanics and design, with sprinkles of Fallout categories and additions like Perks. Leveling fast has everything to do with their philosophy on pacing since Oblivion. I much preferred the slowness of Morrowind skill and character growth to maxing out stuff in as little as four hours.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 19, 2010, 02:50:42 pm »

Related: There is a new Battlefield take on Vietnam coming out that should scratch the open levels itch - a Bad Company 2 full expansion pack.

Likewise, Fallout New Vegas features finally a food/water dynamic in hardcore mode :D

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 19, 2010, 02:52:31 pm »

From what I've seen of BC2, I expect it will be closer to what I want, except with smaller levels. Don't have the specs to run BC2 now, unfortunately.

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 19, 2010, 04:23:09 pm »

Big Rigs!  YEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

I haven't had the chance to play this one, but Limbo of the Lost is apparently quite terrible.
Hilariously terrible
It took 10 years to make, stole content from other games, and was overall a horrible game.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Singularity125

• Bay Watcher
  • [GAMING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 19, 2010, 04:48:21 pm »

Spore was a serious disappointment. I mean, it wasn't an utterly terrible game but it was mediocre, and after buying the collector's edition... I was disappoint.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 19, 2010, 05:11:24 pm »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 19, 2010, 09:58:57 pm »

Blasphemy! Big Rigs is THE most WINNER game evar.

Didn't you hear?! They released a patch for it, so now your opponent actually moves! Man, how many other games get free, post-release content like that?!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 19, 2010, 10:22:23 pm »

Spore was a disappointment considering what it was made out to be in early videos, but it was hardly one of the worst games I've played.

As for worst game, I have a hard time picking.  I can find merit in just about any game, although I have pretty severe sequel-hate disorder.  If I play a game, and then play its sequel immediately after, for some reason I can't enjoy the sequel.  I notice all these things about it I don't like.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 10:24:03 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2010, 02:17:30 am »

Blasphemy! Big Rigs is THE most WINNER game evar.

Didn't you hear?! They released a patch for it, so now your opponent actually moves! Man, how many other games get free, post-release content like that?!
But he stops right before finish line so you're a WINNER every single time.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2010, 02:34:50 am »

Okay, Limbo of the Lost takes the cake, had totally forgotten about it, mainly because I never even dared to play it.

The main developer also had the nerve to announce his interest on making a sequel, holy crap.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2010, 02:41:17 am »

I have NOT played it but Big Rigs Whateverthefuckracing looks horrible.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2010, 02:44:57 am »

No. Really?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2010, 05:29:41 am »

The first Dark Cloud. Mayhaps I was not playing it right, but in order to get the item shop that sells you items to repair your weapons you need to go through enough dungeon to face enough enemies to completely break your weapons before you attain the item shop. And while there were some interesting gameplay designs I found the dungeoneering to be on the boring side. Sure the second game didn't improve it much, but at least we didn't have boring caves.
Yeah... The mayor gives you free shit ever time you run out. Repair items too. Stops when you get the item shop....

My worst game......... Would be Total War: Empire. Bought a fucking DVD, I have the FUCKING DVD in my drive, I HAVE PUT IN THE FUCKING CODE. SO WHY ARE YOU FORCING ME TO SIGN UP FOR STEAM AND DOWNLOAD THE FUCKING GAME!!!!! IT SHOULD BE ON THE FUCKING DVD IN MY COMPUTER ALREADY!!!!

Seriously, my net connection is just JUST better then dial up, and I was forced to download a 3gb Game, well 1.7gb anyway, scoured the net for 4 GOD DAMN HOURS just to find that the Game IS on the DVD and I had to fucking do 101 Different things just to make it install... YES IT TOOK ME 4HRS TO FIND IT AND I HAD ONLY DONWLOADED 1.7/3GB!!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 35