Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35

Author Topic: Worst Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 49288 times)

Pathos

Worst Games You've Ever Played?
« on: July 16, 2010, 02:03:58 pm »

So, yeah, what's the worst game you guys have ever played? Not the worst you've ever heard of, and preferably not the worst you played for a short amount of time, but a game you've played and known it sucked utterly.

Mine is Blue Dragon for the 360. Terrible writing, fucking annoying as hell characters, stupid combat and item systems... I could go on. It wasn't a low budget game or anything like that, however, it was just TERRIBLE. I still got quite far into it before realising I was playing something horrendous. The worst part was that I bought it on a recommendation of a friend, who told me he was taking the piss afterwards. That might've tainted it a bit more, too.

So, what about you guys?

EDIT: I created this thread's slightly less negative counterpart: Best Games You've Ever Played?
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 03:08:35 pm by Pathos »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 02:07:44 pm »

That ooooold magic: the gathering game for the PS1. Horrifyingly bad, I just endured it because the art was great. Seriously though, horrible turned based strategy game.

Actualy the premise was quite interesting, but the combat sucked so so so so badly and unintuitive that it took a while to get the hang of it, and even then it still sucked.

Final Fantasy 4, the most generic JRPG that ever existed. It was actualy the first instance of a RPG for the casual player I saw. Basically square dumbed down the plot and the mechanics (if thats possible) to try and attract new players. It was a disaster.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:12:11 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 02:15:31 pm »

I looked that game you mentioned up...lol

Anyway, the worst game I've ever played..hmm, Kingdom under Fire: Circle of Doom comes into mind, it was so monotonous. It basically was an mmorpg without the mmo part: Grind grind grind gring quest grind grind grind grind for quest grind grind AAAAGH. There was no freedom in where to go, it was just a path with groups of enemies waiting for you to kill them. 
I also had a 'Smurfs' game on the SNES, that game was horrible as well, it was meant for kids but damn, that game was like hell lol. I'm still waiting for the AVGN to do a review about that game :P

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 02:20:06 pm »

Action 52.
Hello Hunam

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 02:21:21 pm »

Doom 3,I was expecting to have an awesome all new doom 2 with a new engine and stuff in it and I get a poorly slapped together piece of shit.It sucks more than elfs.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:23:54 pm by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 02:24:45 pm »

The first Dark Cloud. Mayhaps I was not playing it right, but in order to get the item shop that sells you items to repair your weapons you need to go through enough dungeon to face enough enemies to completely break your weapons before you attain the item shop. And while there were some interesting gameplay designs I found the dungeoneering to be on the boring side. Sure the second game didn't improve it much, but at least we didn't have boring caves.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 02:25:38 pm »

There was this game.

Where you had to write down the name of the worst game you have ever played.

It was so stupid!

BURN!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 02:36:02 pm »

Sniper: Ghost Warrior is pretty bad.  I was expecting a next-gen Sniper Elite, I got the sniping missions in Call of Duty, except a full game and with a little circle showing you where your bullet would fly.  You can't disable that circle.  Damn it.

I can't think of any truly horrible games I've played though. 

Oh wait!  Van Helsing for the PS2.  Devil May Cry-esque gameplay, with no challenge or variety.  Two hours long.
Shoes...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 02:39:05 pm »

MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch on the PS1. 'nuff said.

There was also an old RTS for the PC called Rising Lands that I found while cruising HOTU one day. It's not that it's bad, it had great potential, but screwed it up in every possible way. The only documentation I ever found besides a sparse readme that didn't explain anything was an obscure forum post explaining how to harvest and move resources(which was a piece of information I really needed). Would have been 246% better if it had a skirmish mode, 362% if it had random maps with that. I'd love to get ahold of the source materials and turn it into something moderately epic.

Also, Ghost Recon 2. Moronic teammates, demigod-like enemies. Seriously, my gunner stood there shooting full blast at an enemy for a good five seconds with a SAW from 5 feet away, and the guy only died because I shot him center-torso. Conversely, the enemy can see you, shoot you, and kill you through walls. And they aim only at you. If they're shooting at one of your teammates, and you come by, he and four of his buddies will stop what they're doing and open up on you. And even though you can order your team to scout ahead, it's completely pointless since the enemies only spawn in when you get close enough to the spawn point. And they will focus on you. The only thing your team is good for is the apparently infinite supply of grenades that they can instantly switch to(you have to do it manually with an awful control scheme) and throw on your command(and only on your command) at once.

@Duke: Talk to the mayor/elder/whatever, he'll give you free items until you fix the item shop, including repair powders.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 02:41:38 pm »

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings. Also, Pole Position.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 02:41:42 pm »

Final Fantasy 4, the most generic JRPG that ever existed. It was actualy the first instance of a RPG for the casual player I saw. Basically square dumbed down the plot and the mechanics (if thats possible) to try and attract new players. It was a disaster.

Really?  Maybe if you weren't around when it was first released, but in 1991 on the SNES it was pretty revolutionary.  When I was about 13, I remember my friend and I rented it and we played it non-stop for about 30 hours straight.  At the time it was the greatest gaming experience of my life.

I won't argue that going back to it now (remake or not), it feels incredibly generic and boring.  Through the prism of time it has become less impressive, but I certainly wouldn't put it among the worse games ever.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:43:34 pm by lumin »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 02:42:24 pm »

The first Dark Cloud. Mayhaps I was not playing it right, but in order to get the item shop that sells you items to repair your weapons you need to go through enough dungeon to face enough enemies to completely break your weapons before you attain the item shop. And while there were some interesting gameplay designs I found the dungeoneering to be on the boring side. Sure the second game didn't improve it much, but at least we didn't have boring caves.

Dark Cloud 2 wasn't much better. It just had more tasks to do. The dimensional gold thing was fun and the item crafting and invention system was quite interesting, but good god the dungeons were repetitive as hell and the enemies boring as cardboard. The male character is less effective on combat then the swordsman girl, but much more interesting to use, plus his alternate form is a robot you can customize, while the girl can turn into monsters, but all of these monster forms, all of them, suck really really really bad.

Also, whats up with all those clowns? Seriously though, I'm not afraid of clowns, but that game had a clown fetish thing going on. Loads of your enemies are clowns, and you can even unlock a clown costume, ugh.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 02:42:49 pm »

Sniper: Ghost Warrior is pretty bad.  I was expecting a next-gen Sniper Elite, I got the sniping missions in Call of Duty, except a full game and with a little circle showing you where your bullet would fly.  You can't disable that circle.  Damn it.

I can't think of any truly horrible games I've played though. 

Oh wait!  Van Helsing for the PS2.  Devil May Cry-esque gameplay, with no challenge or variety.  Two hours long.

Whaaat? On hard mode that circle doesn't display.

OT: Saints Row 2 for the PC. Which is to say, the PC port is so god awful it makes me want Murder the person responsible Hold the person responsible hostage Beat the shit out of the person responsible to write a very angry letter to the person responsible! On the flip-side is that, One of the best games I've ever played is Saints Row 2 for the 360. I love that damn game!
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 02:44:09 pm »

Really?  Maybe if you weren't around when it was first released, but in 1991 on the SNES it was pretty revolutionary.  When I was about 13, I remember my friend and I rented it and we played it non-stop for about 30 hours.  At the time it was the greatest gaming experience of my life.

I won't argue that going back to it now (remake or not), it feels incredibly generic and boring.  Through the prism of time, it has become less impressive, but I certainly wouldn't put it among the worse games ever.

No no wait, we may be talking about different games. I'm reffering to one which barely has any intro, you're just thrown into a crumbling mountain thing in a generic fantasy setting, not the one that lets you change class or the one involving Cecil and Co.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 02:47:36 pm »

Universal Combat. Yes, it was a simulator, however it had several annoying issues, mainly the documentation reffering to almost each and every control as a abbreviation and not specifying the actual default keymapping. Example: Activate FSMP by pressing the FSMP key.
 That tells me F-ing NOTHING.

And, it's unplayable because of the fact that the options menu crashes the game. Either figure the bajillion keys out for yourself, or never be able to play the game, ever.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 35