Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 35

Author Topic: Worst Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 49349 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2010, 04:32:09 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 04:44:18 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2010, 04:38:33 pm »

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2010, 04:48:23 pm »

Bioshock and Bioshock 2.

Yeah, yeah, go ahead yell at me for not loving the games. "They're revolutionary and perfect blah, blah, blah..."

No. No they are not. They are boring. There is nothing intresting about them. Neither one could hold my attention to the end, and I beat games that do not defeat me by being too hard. Bioshock was the first to break the chain. I could have beat it. With ease, playing on normal. But it just sucked the will to play out of me. It's bland! Like eating a liquid and tasteless grule that can keep you alive, but has nothing positive about it. I never got past the Arborium in Bioshock. The same feeling was beginning to creep up on me during Dionyisis Gardens during the second game, but then it did somthing I could not forgive. It fucking crashed on me at the very end. I could see the damn tram. It was then I discovered that Bioshock only autosaves between levels. This is not bad, in of itself, but it could have told me so. There are so many baby easy games that autosave today, so I figured Bioshock 2 was one of them, being baby easy.

Just awful. Nothing redeeming about either of them, except "Would you kindly", and that is being generous considering I couldn't stand the game to get to that point.
^
This. I never really got why the hell the Bioshock series is so praised. Its completely and utterly linear, repetitive, and the plot consists of what would happen if we got silly Ayn Rand lovers, put them inside a glass dome in the bottom of the ocean and came back a few years later to see what would've become of it.

Bioshock 1 was sorta interesting because there was nothing quite like it at the same time, but even then it was just another FPS with magical powers. Bioshock 2 was completely unescessary.

I do admit, though, that gathering all randroids and locking them in some place at the bottom of the ocean sounds great.
Uh-huh. Yeah. So damn boring as compared to... every other FPS where you mindlessly shoot shit?

It basically just gave players a little more to do while otherwise being the standard modern FPS. That and it had great art design. Hardly revolutionary, it was just a modernized System Shock 2. But I could find far worse among this decade's popular FPSes, where you're not only far more painfully railroaded than in Bioshock, but you also get far fewer possibilities in terms of combat.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2010, 05:10:04 pm »

Bioshock and Bioshock 2.

Yeah, yeah, go ahead yell at me for not loving the games. "They're revolutionary and perfect blah, blah, blah..."

No. No they are not. They are boring. There is nothing intresting about them. Neither one could hold my attention to the end, and I beat games that do not defeat me by being too hard. Bioshock was the first to break the chain. I could have beat it. With ease, playing on normal. But it just sucked the will to play out of me. It's bland! Like eating a liquid and tasteless grule that can keep you alive, but has nothing positive about it. I never got past the Arborium in Bioshock. The same feeling was beginning to creep up on me during Dionyisis Gardens during the second game, but then it did somthing I could not forgive. It fucking crashed on me at the very end. I could see the damn tram. It was then I discovered that Bioshock only autosaves between levels. This is not bad, in of itself, but it could have told me so. There are so many baby easy games that autosave today, so I figured Bioshock 2 was one of them, being baby easy.

Just awful. Nothing redeeming about either of them, except "Would you kindly", and that is being generous considering I couldn't stand the game to get to that point.
^
This. I never really got why the hell the Bioshock series is so praised. Its completely and utterly linear, repetitive, and the plot consists of what would happen if we got silly Ayn Rand lovers, put them inside a glass dome in the bottom of the ocean and came back a few years later to see what would've become of it.

Bioshock 1 was sorta interesting because there was nothing quite like it at the same time, but even then it was just another FPS with magical powers. Bioshock 2 was completely unescessary.

I do admit, though, that gathering all randroids and locking them in some place at the bottom of the ocean sounds great.
Uh-huh. Yeah. So damn boring as compared to... every other FPS where you mindlessly shoot shit?

It basically just gave players a little more to do while otherwise being the standard modern FPS. That and it had great art design. Hardly revolutionary, it was just a modernized System Shock 2. But I could find far worse among this decade's popular FPSes, where you're not only far more painfully railroaded than in Bioshock, but you also get far fewer possibilities in terms of combat.

Read my comment on Bioshock 1. It was interesting at the time, and even then there were already FPS's out there with special powers involved.
Now lets look at Bioshock 2. The only real difference was that you played with a different character, everything else from the first game was there without any other kind of inovation. I'm not saying its a bad game, I'm saying it doesn't deserve the huge hype it got.
I still stand by my statement thats its boring due to the fact the game is pitifully easy, no matter in what instance. The enemies are jus there to look cool and die when you attack them. Yes, there are loads of generic FPSs out there, but even these get hard when you try the hard more. The powers are cool, but using them feel completely pointless because everything dies so easily. There's no point in being able to shoot lightling from your veins when all enemies die when you sneeze on them, and when they don't they're so stupid you might aswell dance around them slapping their cheeks until they say uncle.

The fact the damn thing is completely linear doesn't help either. Most linear games remedy this by giving you different approaches to each situation, but I don't remember seeing such a thin on bioshock, the only choice you get is shooting the little sisters or saving them, and even then it has no effect on the game, at all, its just there to look pretty, like everything else.

I agree with you on the great art it had, too bad it was the only good thing it had.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2010, 07:25:31 pm »

The first Dark Cloud. Mayhaps I was not playing it right, but in order to get the item shop that sells you items to repair your weapons you need to go through enough dungeon to face enough enemies to completely break your weapons before you attain the item shop. And while there were some interesting gameplay designs I found the dungeoneering to be on the boring side. Sure the second game didn't improve it much, but at least we didn't have boring caves.
I'm a bit late to the discussion but... WHAT?! While the sequel was incredibly repetitive(though still not TOO bad until the ungodly long and boring final dungeon), the first Dark Cloud was amazing. And as for your items breaking before you can unlock the shop, that's what the mayor is for, he gives you an infinite supply of all the stuff you will desperately need to get that far, and replenishes your supplies every time you talk to him.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 18, 2010, 07:31:50 pm »

< NON BIOSHOCK RELATED SPOILER

Honestly I thought the first Bioshock was pretty good, not terribly amazing, but certainly a better offering than most other fps games of our time.
Bioshock 2, on the other hand, bored me to death.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

jnecros

• Bay Watcher
  • Black dog runs at night
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 18, 2010, 11:12:31 pm »

I will break mine up into 3 categories:

Bitter disappointment with the game after preordering at full price:

Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionheart:_Legacy_of_the_Crusader
Really, how could you fuck up a game concept like this Reflexive Entertainment? Its medieval history mixed with key high fantasy concepts, brilliant. Combat was lame as hell, and the game was rushed out the door..damn the devs and damn you Interplay!

-And-

Gothic 3

Nothing like getting the packaging off a nice, new pre ordered game just to have it crash on install. When I finally did get it running I quickly realized the whole game was buggy pile of shit. What a drag.

And then there are what I think are massively overrated games:

These four are stinkers to me, I bought them and shelved them pretty quickly. Yes, I am sure many people around here love them, but don't go ape shit on me.

Fallout 3, Oblivion, Dragon Age and The Witcher

And then the really, pretty undisputedly bloody bad fucking games:

The Chosen: Well of Souls
http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/the-chosen-well-of-souls/
Holy cheap pile of diablo-clone.

Age of Pirates 2: City of Abandon Ships
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_pirates_2
Holy shit everything is broken and the interface is designed for the blind.  :'(

Half beard
half belly
all dwarf

HonkyPunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2010, 12:03:39 am »

I must completely agree with you on Fallout 3 and Oblivion.
Oblivion was fun, I must say.
Fallout 3 wasn't fun because I got my fill of that type of game from oblivion.
THO PUNCHING A MUTANTS HEAD OFF WHILE WEARING A FEDORA WAS PRETTY SWEET.
nobody of great interest

i have a crap tumblr page. i usually post art but my scanner is down. http://www.tumblr.com/blog/heygofuckadog

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2010, 12:11:55 am »

(Almost) Any movie tie in game.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 19, 2010, 09:25:32 am »

You haven't lived until you've played Sierra's The Incredible Machine, which consists of you taking a balloon ride to fucking nowhere.

Or Dark Tower. Nothing to do with the failed Stephen King series, just you, a tower, and a whole lot of stupid ways to die. Worse than I Wanna Be The Guy. No joke.

Man, the Incredible Machine was a great little puzzle game. Or that may be my nostalgia filter talking.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 19, 2010, 09:35:04 am »

Actually, the most amazing thing sounds pretty cool except for one thing:

At the game's conclusion, the player finally discovers the identity of the Most Amazing Thing. Directed to face a mirror, the player realizes that the Most Amazing Thing is, in fact, his or her own self.

[/size]
[/size]/facepalm
Shoes...

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 19, 2010, 09:36:14 am »

Argh, no, it's not THAT one... sec, I'll see if I can remember the real name of this turkey and link to it.

HERE we go! Sorry, after 20 years I got the name mixed up. Balloon ride. To NOWHERE.
There was one game about driving bus from somewhere to Las Vegas or something in real time for hours upon hours of nothing entertaining. You can't beat it.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 19, 2010, 09:47:45 am »

... intentionally.
Does it make this game any less boring?  :P

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile