Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35

Author Topic: Worst Games You've Ever Played?  (Read 49423 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Games You've Ever Played?
« Reply #105 on: July 19, 2010, 10:49:12 am »

Vietnam: Purple Haze.

I've played more than my fair share of Vietnam-era FPS....but this one was incredibly bad. As in, level design consisted of walls textured with a tree graphic, a small hill next to the wall, and 4 or 5 lonely looking bamboo trees. On rails doesn't even describe the linearity of this game. Charlie would step out from cover and sit there, full exposed, without moving, as he fired his AK47. It was just a travesty. Then again, I've yet to play an Vietnam-era FPS that actually made me feel like I was in Vietnam.

Bioshock

It did two things right for me.

#1 - Environments. Between the art and sound design, I was immersed. That's ALWAYS the most important thing for me in a FPS, multi or single. That's why I won't play TF2.

#2 - Collectibles. Things to do. Many single player FPS ignore this, assuming that killing people is plenty. There was lots to do in game in Bioshock, some good, some annoying. Photos. Flavor recordings. Hacking. Purchasing. Even though it was linear, I spent a lot of time clearing each area to make sure I missed nothing. I enjoyed that, despite being annoyed at having to take so many photos.

Honestly, the reason Bioshock received such acclaim is that it was the BEST FPS consoles had seen in years. After a half decade of totally shitty ports of PC shooters, Bioshock actually gave console gamers a non-modern warfare FPS that ran good, looked good and was designed to handle well on the consoles.

For PC gamers it was just really shiny.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Omegastick

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy musician man
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2010, 10:52:24 am »

Also, Fallout 3 and Oblivion - terrible writing, idiotic characters, repetetive combat, blatant level scaling, repetetive world. Pretty much the only thing I really liked about them was that most objects in the world were physical and moveable, which is something I'd like to see more in first-person games in general. But not at the cost of everything else.
I know that this is quoting a rather old post but I have to say this:
Oblivion is seriously the best game I have ever played. It has an interesting storyline, brilliant side quests, tons of dungeons and everything was interactive. However it's best quality is it's mods; Oblivion has thousands of mods thatmake the game into pretty much anything you want!
I make music under the name Flag Red, check me out:
Soundcloud
Youtube
Facebook

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2010, 11:01:12 am »

I've played a lot of disappointing games over the years...  Lots of games that I ultimately disliked...  Lots of games that I felt were not worth the money I paid for them...  But only one game really stands out in my mind as the worst game I've ever played - Lords of Magic: Special Edition.

I saw some promising press for this game, and downloaded a demo.  At the time, downloading that demo took literally hours.  I was dying for it to finish the entire time.  Couldn't wait to try it out.

Finally the download finished, and I fired up the demo.  Really fun game.  Strategic, turn-based, challenging.  I had to have more.

So I ran out and bought the game.

Got it home, fired it up...  And discovered that the full game wasn't much like the demo that I'd played.

In order to fit things into a demo format and limit your gameplay they'd created a more linear experience.  You only had a very few turns to play before the big monster came and wiped you out.  There were a few specific areas they steered you towards so that you could experience key gameplay elements.

The full game was completely open.  No real direction to it at all.  No clear goals.  No clear threats.

I was so disappointed.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2010, 11:07:41 am »

Oblivion is seriously the best game I have ever played. It has an interesting storyline, brilliant side quests, tons of dungeons and everything was interactive.

The side quests were decent. The main story was, well, it was a Bethesda storyline. Lots of noise up front, a good start, then a slow degradation into "who gives a fuck" land. Once you start going into the Oblivion portals....I basically stopped caring.

And as for "tons of dungeons"...you mean tons of generic ass dungeons, broken up visually by one of four texture sets, that they made 50 million of and just scattered liberally into the world.

Yeah. Tons of dungeons. Too bad once you've explored the 10 or so directly outside the starting city....you've seen them all.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2010, 11:14:17 am »

I still prefer Morrowind. Oblivion is nice and all, with serious graphical improvements and a full physics engine (although, tapping a book should not make the whole damn shelf of them fly across the room.) helping to sell it. However, Morrowind was obviously given much more care story-wise.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 11:18:08 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2010, 11:16:01 am »

Oblivion is seriously the best game I have ever played. It has an interesting storyline, brilliant side quests, tons of dungeons and everything was interactive.
Best game ever?BLASMEPHY BURN THE ELF!!!!!!

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2010, 11:21:36 am »

Interactive? Apart from the physics engine Oblivion was just Morrowind with all the really fun things you could do taken out. And Morrowind has better mods too.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 19, 2010, 11:22:16 am »

Vietnam: Purple Haze.

I've played more than my fair share of Vietnam-era FPS....but this one was incredibly bad.
I've found almost no 'nam FPSes. :-\
Then again, I've yet to play an Vietnam-era FPS that actually made me feel like I was in Vietnam.
If you played the last mission group for Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol(on the PS1) you might. It takes you back to the Vietnam war(everything else is 90's era modern counter-terror, counter-insurgency, etc.). There are jungle roads almost literally paved with landmines. And Charlie keeps taking shots at you through the tree "walls", although as semi-true to the real thing that was because of "radarsniperghost" AI.
The game was still pretty bad, though, although most PS1 FPSes probably were.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 19, 2010, 11:27:11 am »

The side quests were decent. The main story was, well, it was a Bethesda storyline. Lots of noise up front, a good start, then a slow degradation into "who gives a fuck" land. Once you start going into the Oblivion portals....I basically stopped caring.

And as for "tons of dungeons"...you mean tons of generic ass dungeons, broken up visually by one of four texture sets, that they made 50 million of and just scattered liberally into the world.

Yeah. Tons of dungeons. Too bad once you've explored the 10 or so directly outside the starting city....you've seen them all.
You know, that's pretty much how I felt about Oblivion.  And everyone else simply raved about it, so I thought I was missing something.

The dungeons quickly became repetitive.  After the first dozen or so I just didn't really care that much.  I went through a bunch of them for the loot...  But that was really the only motivation.  There wasn't really much of a sense of exploration or curiosity or anything like that.

And the storyline really did get pretty boring.

I spent tons of time on side-quests...  Did the assassin's guild thing, and re-built my own secret pirate ship base, and worked my way up through the thieves guild...  All sorts of cool stuff on the side...

But the main storyline just got dull.  Very quickly.  I just didn't care enough to keep going.  The only reason I finished it was because those oblivion gates were getting too annoying to ignore.

I enjoyed Morrowind a whole hell of a lot more.

The main storyline was much more interesting with the ancient prophecy and the quarreling gods and all that good stuff.  The geography was more varied and interesting.  The architecture was just plain funky.  I thoroughly enjoyed creeping around some of the dwarven ruins.  The game had some kind of high-fantasy meets post-apocalyptic feel to it.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 19, 2010, 12:03:31 pm »

Well, the whole post-apocalypse feel is just kinda helped along by the center of the map being a volcano that spews plauge at all times, and that the whole thing is being manned by a physical god who may or may not have been your best friend in a previous life. I liked Dagoth Ur as a villain. He seemed real about it, like the Ur-Quan. No evil for evil's sake, Dagoth Ur and the Sixth House are after a goal. And evil goal of conquest and plauge, mind you, but a goal nontheless.

I found it a bit ironic, that if you really are Nerevar reborn, you help one of the people who had past-you murdered (and is still a jerk otherwise) to help you kill past-you's only real friend in the world. Considering every named character of the Sixth House tries to convince you to join them, I am unsuprised mods that make this possible are as popular as they are.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 19, 2010, 12:24:54 pm »

I spent tons of time on side-quests...  Did the assassin's guild thing, and re-built my own secret pirate ship base, and worked my way up through the thieves guild...  All sorts of cool stuff on the side...

But the main storyline just got dull.  Very quickly.  I just didn't care enough to keep going.  The only reason I finished it was because those oblivion gates were getting too annoying to ignore.

I enjoyed Morrowind a whole hell of a lot more.

The main storyline was much more interesting with the ancient prophecy and the quarreling gods and all that good stuff.  The geography was more varied and interesting.  The architecture was just plain funky.  I thoroughly enjoyed creeping around some of the dwarven ruins.  The game had some kind of high-fantasy meets post-apocalyptic feel to it.
My biggest complaint at TES series is that side quest are done as separate story lines, like magic guild quests, assassin guild quests etc. and worst thing is that they have absolutely no impact on game like you could become army general in morrowind and you still couldn't do jack sh*t and only person who is at least recognizing you as general is some random guard #12. Why do you even include such possibilities in game if in the end they are pointless? It seriously ruined my experience that you could just go around and become guild master, general, chef etc. of pretty much everything and it still didn't matter at all. For an open ended rpg its poorly designed. If you want example of well done open ended rpg just take a look at Fallout.

Yeah Morrowind is way better than Oblivion. Much better atmosphere and more possibilities (fly spell anyone? Or those scrolls that buffed your acrobatics to insane levels so you could travel with one jump between cities(gotta aim for lakes and rivers or you'll die !  ;D)).
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:36:07 pm by janekk »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2010, 01:10:00 pm »

If you played the last mission group for Spec Ops: Stealth Patrol(on the PS1) you might. It takes you back to the Vietnam war(everything else is 90's era modern counter-terror, counter-insurgency, etc.). There are jungle roads almost literally paved with landmines. And Charlie keeps taking shots at you through the tree "walls", although as semi-true to the real thing that was because of "radarsniperghost" AI.

The game was still pretty bad, though, although most PS1 FPSes probably were.

I just want a Vietnam FPS with:

1- Open levels, not tree corridors. I know it's very, very demanding graphically, but god damnit. Use textures and objects from 2002, cut down on the high resolution, combine that with today's horse power and give me a open level with lots of plants, trees and bushes.

2-Good scripting. Holy fuck. Every Vietnam game I've played has the same pathetic scripting and AI, completely driven by the map design (which blows already, so the scripting blows.) Call of Duty was a revolution in terms of enemy placement; guys popping out of believable spawn points. This never really got applied to the Vietnam FPS, they just kept using the same candy ass ambushes that you can sense, as a player, from a mile away.

3- Epic scale. Playing these games, you'd think Charlie only existed in small localized areas. Give me a less mission driven format, a battle map, changing possession of the countryside. Give me some open worldness, with lots of Charlie to populate it.

Oblivion

Credit where it's due, there are some fun quests.

Most of the Guild quests.
Assassin's Guild quest.
Mythic Dawn? or whatever quest. (Main storyline)
Lovecraft Shadows of Innsmouth homage quest.
Many of the quests given at the God statues.
Some of the totally random, isolated quests.

I played a lot of Oblivion, modded and vanilla.

For an open ended rpg its poorly designed. If you want example of well done open ended rpg just take a look at Fallout.

Better, still not great. There are some lessons Bethesda learned from Oblivion, and some they didn't.

They learned that cities shouldn't have overwhelming amounts of stuff to see and do. Being tighter and focused, you didn't have to work your ass off just to find the interesting stuff.

They learned that travel just for realism's sake isn't that interesting, and spaced out content a lot better.

They learned that only having 6 voice actors for all the non-important people was a bad idea.

They (mostly) learned that dungeons need to be interesting and varied. (The metro stations though...man those got old fast. The metro underground is like 50% of the game's dungeons, and is as redundant as all get out.)

However, they still made a lot of mistakes.

Mechanically, Fallout undercuts it's own premise. Post-apocalypse is supposed to be tough to survive. No real food/water dynamic, tame radiation mechanics, super quick healing, all that jazz....basically killed the post apocalyptic theme for me from the outset. Oblivion's mechanics did the same thing to it. You maxed out early and ceased to care from that point on about your character. In Oblivion, it was the rate at which your primary skills increased that screwed things up, relative to the progress you made on secondary skills. In Fallout 3, it was the massive amounts of XP they let you get with the right perks. Hell, hacking computers and picking locks alone can get you maxed out, forget the hordes of bandits.

They also used groups of bandits defending junk in the middle of nowhere as content. Bandits above ground are to Fallout what dungeons were to Oblivion; something to break up travel.

Fallout was better open-world than Oblivion...but still not great. Bethesda has a formula for how they design overworld content, and they have yet to do it in a way where you don't see the sausage getting made as you play it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 01:15:26 pm by nenjin »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #117 on: July 19, 2010, 01:31:34 pm »

I just want a Vietnam FPS with:

1- Open levels, not tree corridors. I know it's very, very demanding graphically, but god damnit. Use textures and objects from 2002, cut down on the high resolution, combine that with today's horse power and give me a open level with lots of plants, trees and bushes.

2-Good scripting. Holy fuck. Every Vietnam game I've played has the same pathetic scripting and AI, completely driven by the map design (which blows already, so the scripting blows.) Call of Duty was a revolution in terms of enemy placement; guys popping out of believable spawn points. This never really got applied to the Vietnam FPS, they just kept using the same candy ass ambushes that you can sense, as a player, from a mile away.

3- Epic scale. Playing these games, you'd think Charlie only existed in small localized areas. Give me a less mission driven format, a battle map, changing possession of the countryside. Give me some open worldness, with lots of Charlie to populate it.

Battlefield Vietnam was mostly a bust, but it is definitely more open due to it's gameplay mechanics. Then again, it also had to cut out realism to be playable with the battlefield gameplay mechanics. *shrug*
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 19, 2010, 02:29:33 pm »

Oblivion is fun in small doses.  Sneaking around and headshotting enemies for a one hit kill was pretty cool.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 19, 2010, 02:38:36 pm »

For an open ended rpg its poorly designed. If you want example of well done open ended rpg just take a look at Fallout.
Letters
Did I put "3" after Fallout?  :P
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35