Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mandatory Happiness Therapy Chamber (MHTC)  (Read 3729 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mandatory Happiness Therapy Chamber (MHTC)
« on: July 16, 2010, 12:11:09 pm »

I was wondering- if you have once dwarf in particular who keep getting upset, and you are concerned this individual might start to tantrum, would locking them up in a small room filled with exquisite engravings, exquisite pieces of furniture made from valuable metals, cages with animals they like, high end booze and prepared meal stockpiles, etc. etc.  basically force them to be happy again?  Assuming they have all the food and booze they need to last them a while, that is.

I figure one could just assign a piece of furniture in the room to them in order to lure them inside, then lock the door and unassign the furniture (I think nobles get pissed if little peons have better stuff than them).  Let them soak in the glory of the happiness chamber, then let them go after a season or so.  Has it been done?

Ricky

• Bay Watcher
  • Ancient Wizard Dance.
    • View Profile
Re: Mandatory Happiness Therapy Chamber (MHTC)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 12:22:18 pm »

wouldnt it be easier just making a lever, not linked to anything, and profile the unhappy dwarf?
Ah, I wish I had been lucky enough to be scum.
I'd make such great scum...

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 12:27:33 pm »

I guess so, I don't know th emost efficient way to get them in there tbh.

JinF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:27:57 pm »

I have a small "Rehabilitation Clinic" which is just a dorm, dining room (with food and booze stockpiles) and statue garden, all filled with engravings, statues, exceptional furniture, cages etc. All rooms are Legendary/Opulent etc. It has its own burrow, assign all dorfs you want happy to it and lock the door behind em.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 12:33:43 pm »

Put mist generators in places your dwarves walk by frequently. The mist generators will give everyone happy thoughts. That, combined with a legendary dining room, is usually enough to keep dwarves happy.

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 12:40:58 pm »

Just fill your meeting hall with statues and engravings and stuff, that way everyone is happy.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

TheyTarget

• Bay Watcher
  • Memento Mori
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:42:28 pm »

I was wondering- if you have once dwarf in particular who keep getting upset, and you are concerned this individual might start to tantrum, would locking them up in a small room filled with exquisite engravings, exquisite pieces of furniture made from valuable metals, cages with animals they like, high end booze and prepared meal stockpiles, etc. etc.  basically force them to be happy again?  Assuming they have all the food and booze they need to last them a while, that is.

I figure one could just assign a piece of furniture in the room to them in order to lure them inside, then lock the door and unassign the furniture (I think nobles get pissed if little peons have better stuff than them).  Let them soak in the glory of the happiness chamber, then let them go after a season or so.  Has it been done?

Yes until he tantrums and breaks the cage containing the dragon, which then runs through destroying the entire fort. Also use burrows. And if he doesn't have any friends. You can always just kill him.
Code: [Select]
This is a platinum warhammer. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. it menaces with spikes of platinum.
there is an image of the goblin Utes Gozrusrozsnus and dwarves in elf bone. The goblin is making a plaintive gesture. the dwarves are striking a menacing pose.
this image relates to the slaying of Utes Gozrusroz

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 01:56:27 pm »

You can actually build a very nice jail such that dwarves can gain alot of happiness by being imprisoned. As soon as they break something, the sherrif hauls them downtown to chill out.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 02:01:14 pm »

Tantruming dwarves destroy things and deface engravings, which anger the engraver. He'd beable to start a tantrum spiral while locked away. 

einstein9073

• Bay Watcher
  • Thus spice intestinally loft Blanka.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 02:17:48 pm »

Just fill your meeting hall with statues and engravings and stuff, that way everyone is happy.
My best friend murdered my wife and daughter in front of my eyes, and I've had to watch all three of them rot in the main hall for the past three months. But I tell you what, dinner last night was in a ROCKIN' dining hall. Armok, those engravings!
Strike the earth!
Dwarf Fortress: It menaces with spikes of AWESOME.

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 02:19:51 pm »

You can actually build a very nice jail such that dwarves can gain alot of happiness by being imprisoned. As soon as they break something, the sherrif hauls them downtown to chill out.

Does this involve a jail designated from a cage or from chains? I wanted to try this but wasn't sure on the details. Could I designate a room from awesome gold chains for justice, then fill it with booze, engravings, encrusted bed, and other awesome furniture. Would he be able to use all those items while incarcerated?

Sounds like a really cool idea. Please let me know what yours looks like.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 02:45:18 pm »

If you want to be cheap, you can arrange for a cleverly placed cave-in in order to trap your dwarf in a cage, then release him for a +1000 happiness boost.

mnjiman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2010, 03:00:04 pm »

If you want to be cheap, you can arrange for a cleverly placed cave-in in order to trap your dwarf in a cage, then release him for a +1000 happiness boost.

wait what how?
I was thinking more along the lines of this legendary champion, all clad in dented and dinged up steel plate, his blood-drenched axe slung over his back, a notch in the handle for every enemy that saw the swing of that blade as the last sight they ever saw, a battered shield strapped over his arm... and a fluffy, pink stuffed hippo hidden discretely in his breastplate.

Epacsten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2010, 03:01:39 pm »

The best way to get any dwarf into any room is to build a lever in the room and link it to the door. After the door and lever are linked, open the door first, THEN assign the lever to the dwarf who you want in there, and have him go pull it.

Place all the statues and furniture for the rooms, but don't designate the rooms until he's in there, or make each room with its own door and keep the doors to them forbidden until he's in there.
Urist McMayor: "Uh, err, h-hello --"
Kung Ustruorgu: "BE ENGULFED IN CLOUDS OF LOCUSTS AND EATEN ALIVE, MORTAL, FOR I BRING GREETINGS FROM TRADING GUILD. THERE IS MUCH TO DISSCUSS REGARDING TRADE BETWEEN OUR NATIONS AND YOUR INEVITABLE DEATH CAUSED BY HORIBLE MUTILATION OF YOUR PELVIC FLOOR.
WE ALSO PROPOSE EXCANGE OF SILK SOCKS, COOKIES AND TOYS."

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2010, 02:41:05 am »

wait what how?

Friendlies and trap-avoiders are vulnerable to cage traps if they're unconscious. Cave-in dust makes them go unconscious. Once you have some dwarves trapped, you can construct the cages and attach them to a lever, releasing them. The "just was released from a cage" thought makes dwarves get +1000 happiness. Instant mandatory happiness.
Pages: [1] 2