Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]

Author Topic: Who here plays DF without sets?  (Read 8046 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Who here plays DF without sets?
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2010, 01:17:01 pm »

When it comes to that time the new players will probably be something like... whiners, heavy graphic set users, "y no 3d?", "how do i do 'X?' (times infintium)", "ascii is X", "X users are Y", "this game is X", "why doesn't Toady_One X?" Ect, ect, ect. Though, it will probably be like this for the first few, I don't know... seven? Eight? Ten maybe? Waves of new players, but it will be a good thing. More money for Bay12, attention, influence too, and in the long run, I'm sure something will come along that will finally get DF moving at the pace it demands/deserves.

This just won't happen. We've talked about this exact same stuff 3-4 years ago. [~2006/2007] Many users thought that this is whats gonna happen in the next 1-2 years, but they were wrong. :) I think that people won't register here, just to whine about the lack of gfx support and stuff like that. It's pointless.

PS. When Toady will need more money, he will improve the interface & separates txt/gfx in the engine...[Even Toady has mentioned this a long a time ago. :)]

Actually, we get that sort of person who comes on just to complain about how "unintuitive" something is, or why they should need to look things up on the wiki already... and have for years.

Plus, Baughn was already talking in the Future of the Fortress about how he's preparing for making fonts be different from standard graphics, so that we can have square tiles and fonts that are taller than they are wide.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Doomshifter

• Bay Watcher
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2010, 01:20:22 pm »

I don't play with tilesets. I never could understand them properly.
Add me on PesterChum! My chumhandle is doomedHermit.
Right now Rampages seem to be Godzilla quietly walking into Tokyo, biting the leg off of one reporter... then creeping off again without a sound.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2010, 03:38:12 pm »

And the consensus on internet migrant waves is... KINDA!

• Multithreading (This will be a HUGE one, this one is really needed too)
  • Interface (Rather large)
  • Graphics (Sadly, this one will be huge)
  • Realistic Gravity
  • Moving Fortresses (Rather large)
  • Magic (This will be a big one)
Hm... DF is really no where near those.

Also, anyone take a look at the Armok One boards? Come on, look at those numbers! Now compare the buzz generated by A1 to DF.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2010, 04:28:49 pm »

Oh, it seems that there is a need to clarify the difference between a tileset and a graphics set. A tileset is just the set of letters and accented/special characters. A font, essentially. A graphics set, on the other hand, is the package of different graphic tiles for various creatures and objects which would otherwise be represented only by letters.
I don't know if my explanation is clear enough. Example to clarify further: if you change a tileset, the general look of the game is going to change, but a soldier and a mason will have be no different from each other except for their coloring. If you get a graphics set, they each get their own sprite (if the set creator made different sprites for each variety of dwarf, of course).
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 04:30:43 pm by Oglokoog »
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2010, 04:42:00 pm »

I use non-graphical or semigraphical tilesets.  Fancy tiles for dorfs and certain objects is fine, but when you've got ten thousand 16x16 pictures running around things get messy.
Shoes...

Thundrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2010, 06:43:33 pm »

I don't get it, if I wanted Magic I would not be playing Dwarves in all games supporting them, and avoiding Fantasy Realms without proper Dwarf Respect entirely. Magic is generally frowned upon by Dwarves unless it is some messed up backwards-realm filled with half-naked Elves no doubt. I'm sure there are Wizard-Dwarves in some dubious titles out there. And they can stay out! Probably nice in Adventure mode for all the Human and Elf lovers out there though. Good for them!

I use Ironhand though, sorry for being a graphics-hugger. We have all our faults.  :P

---

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 24, 2010, 07:11:36 pm »

*SNIP*

PAH! Elven magic! As dirty elfs will use pretty color and chimes, dwarven magic will use explosive magma balls!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 24, 2010, 10:22:46 pm »

I've only been playing for a couple of weeks and I am still deciding which I like more.

On my PC I use Ironhand's graphics set but on my Mac I just use a slightly modified square tileset.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2010, 03:19:41 am »

I feel obligated to post from the other camp and say that I find the ASCII stuff fine to read and comprehensible, but only if I'm not playing. Actually trying to garner information out of that efficiently was tedious at best. Mushrooms and trees looking the same? Nah, pass.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2010, 03:21:36 am »

I don't...but I look at Stonesense when I finish for the pretties.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2010, 03:23:43 am »

I only use a square tileset so that my 3x3 rooms actually look square (I also tend to change tilesets frequently just for a change).

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2010, 06:48:25 am »

I don't get it, if I wanted Magic I would not be playing Dwarves in all games supporting them, and avoiding Fantasy Realms without proper Dwarf Respect entirely. Magic is generally frowned upon by Dwarves unless it is some messed up backwards-realm filled with half-naked Elves no doubt. I'm sure there are Wizard-Dwarves in some dubious titles out there. And they can stay out! Probably nice in Adventure mode for all the Human and Elf lovers out there though. Good for them!

I use Ironhand though, sorry for being a graphics-hugger. We have all our faults.  :P

---
I'm just saying that magic will get some more people. Magic would be great for adventure mode. Even in fortress mode it would be cool, can you imagine being attacked by elves that actually stood a chance against you? Okay, they don't stand a chance, but they at least can kill a few dwarves. Dwarf mages would just be awesome as well. I'm thinking that a dwarf mage could enchant armor and stuff like that. Maybe even move around water. That would be fun to order a mage to just levitate stuff around.

That guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2010, 07:34:50 am »

No tiles. No utilities, either.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2010, 08:19:01 am »

Never been happy with any tileset, because I learned with the ASCII and so the ASCII is clearest to me, plus every tileset seems to mess up the normal text in some place or other and I find that very annoying.

EvilCartyen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2010, 10:01:54 am »

I play vanilla :)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]