Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Who here plays DF without sets?  (Read 8045 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Who here plays DF without sets?
« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2010, 03:09:53 pm »

Mmmm... I use tilesets when I have crafted my own.  Whenever I look at someone else's stuff, I just have to start modding it, myself.

I'm not using tilesets right now because I did some changes in the tilesets for 31.03, and now I have to change them back for use with the graphics changes again, plus I'm really just waiting for a more stable version to come out before I really start messing with init.txt again.

I'll use a graphical tileset when I get motivated enough to actually hand-make one myself, as well.  I'm not particularly fond of any of the ones out there.  Plus I have plenty of modded creatures to represent.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Oglokoog

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERNET_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2010, 03:47:28 pm »

Ok. I started playing DF when 31.03 came out and never played any ASCII game before. I wasn't even really aware that such a thing existed (I only knew about those text-command dungeons, whatever they're called). Before I even downloaded the game itself, I read up on it on the wiki and read Boatmurdered and Headshoots (and I think both contain both kinds of screenshots - with graphics and defaultlook). About halfway through Headshoots I've decided to play the game in ASCII, even though I was, as you put it (mostly replying to Cotes here) a tabula rasa person. I might be strange, though.

I use tilesets. Like a man.

8)
I think you misspelled "pussy". (sorry, had to be said)
So we got monsters above, monsters below, dwarves in the middle and a party in the dining hall. Sounds good to me.
If all else fails, remember one thing:  kittens are delicious, nutritious little goblin-baiters, cavern explorers, and ambush-finders.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2010, 04:55:54 pm »

Bah, tilesets.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2010, 05:00:20 pm »

I play with the vanilla set, but I may try using a different ASCII set.

Graphics tile sets bug me because you end up with strange symbols scattered about text displays.  The most common is a shirt symbol where the ']' is supposed to be, or levers where there should be accented 'o's
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2010, 05:07:17 pm »

I play with the vanilla set, but I may try using a different ASCII set.

Graphics tile sets bug me because you end up with strange symbols scattered about text displays.  The most common is a shirt symbol where the ']' is supposed to be, or levers where there should be accented 'o's

You can replace all the accented letters.  It makes room for a couple dozen extra tiles you can make into anything you want.  For example, you can make all your stone to be the accented letters, and make those tiles look like different textures of stone, which I really prefer.

Plus shirts are technically the "["
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2010, 12:24:59 am »

When I first started playing, I didn't even bother with graphics, I just jumped right in. I was able to get through the interface with the help of a few things from the wiki. I've never really had to look much stuff up, except for a little thing here and there, like the new military stuff.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2010, 12:44:33 am »

I started with the ascii for an attempted fort or 2, but found the ascii jus didnt suit me very well. So I went searching for grapic packs and found maydays and used that through my 40d time. When I switched over to 2010 I started using phoebus graphic set. I do prefer graphics for the nostalgic nes/snes feel, but I can use and understand the normal ascii as well as any other graphic set, it jus takes me a lil more time to figure everything out be it a different graphic set or ascii.

Vercingetorix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2010, 12:50:46 am »

Straight up out-of-the-.zip ASCII here.
Do you always look at it in ASCII?

You get used to it, I don't even see the ASCII.  All I see is blacksmith, miner, goblin.

Pita

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2010, 03:49:37 am »

At the moment I'm playing without sets, at least until the versions become fairly stable. I usually use a good looking square ASCII set and occassionally adjust the colours. Partly to make the sense of distance and proportion more easily understood, but mainly to beautify the game. I'm a pretty visually orientated person, so using ASCII isn't out of some misplaced sense of elitism for me, but rather because I think it looks better. Until it's possible to give everything a unique tile, I don't think I will use figurative tilesets. I don't mind if a letter represents several different things, but it really bugs me if I'm supposed look at a 'tree' (or whatever tiles are used for multiple things--I can't remember) and pretend it's something else. More importantly, having a handful of things still in ascii amongst the graphical tiles really ruins it for me. It doesn't help that most graphical sets are sort of inconsistant to begin with... (they're getting better though!)

The exception to this was the tileset I remember someone showing  (in a thread similar to this) that included generic heads of the various races done in a similar fashion to the existing head for the dwarves, and nothing else. It looked really good... Better track it down!

timtek

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Tacos
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2010, 03:53:08 am »

I play straight ascii, I'm lazy and also haven't seen a tile set that makes me go wow.
My fortress brings all the dorfs to mah yard...

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 23, 2010, 03:58:54 am »

Ascii, though I occassionaly use stonesense to admire my megaprojects.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 23, 2010, 04:22:00 am »

I use both. But only square. As many people here said, it's hard to judge distance when x dimension is not equal to y dimension.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 23, 2010, 04:33:08 am »

I made a 12x12 ASCII set closely based on the original one and that's what I'm using. ASCII is nice, but I want my square rooms to be squares. I used Mike Mayday's pack when I started (back in 39c or something) but it was ugly with all the random tiles in the middle of texts or stuff like trees in the middle of drawbridges and also 16x16 is too big for me.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

athros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 23, 2010, 11:25:44 am »

Original ASCII for me. After working with it for 3 weeks, I tried a graphics set, and was horribly confused, and went back. I might look for a better original square set, but that's it.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 23, 2010, 12:12:18 pm »

I actually use 16x20 or 16x24 tiles.  It helps make the text look better, plus it's a little bit easier to see.  I would use 24x24, but my monitor's max horizontal resolution is 1280.  I've just gotten used to the disproportion to the point where it looks weird if a "square" is actually "square".
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9