Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released  (Read 81219 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2010, 09:26:37 am »

That 'body part' fix will be HUGE. Means we won't need to worry about Shell anymore if I'm reading it correctly

I don't see that.  Quoth the Toad:
Quote from: Toady
Shell crafts and other shell objects should work for next time. Artifacts made from body parts (shells, bone, etc.) should get the right material.

This is surely a fix for the bugs where someone made a Shell craft and, after expending the time and labor, got nothing.  And the bugs where someone made an artifact that included bones or shells, and it ended up as an Iron Figurine.

I don't see any changes to the availability of shells, although it's possible that will also be fixed as a side effect of something else....
Ah yes, I had read that too quickly first time round. I stand corrected.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2010, 03:59:14 pm »

training bugs are probably the only thing putting me off DF for now.. it's just so incredibly annoying when they either don't train or get eternally stuck in it.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 14, 2010, 04:54:15 pm »

I haven't had issues with training of melee skills at all.  You just have to micromanage it all. :(

Do NOT set up any nonstandard alert states, or mess with the Active alert state that the game provides.  Just ignore it.

Set up a room that can become a barracks (put an armor rack or a weapon stand in it).  When you want a squad to train, make it a barracks and assign that squad to train there from within the barracks screen.  When you want the squad to stop training, unassign the barracks.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 14, 2010, 05:50:02 pm »

I haven't had issues with training of melee skills at all.  You just have to micromanage it all. :(

Do NOT set up any nonstandard alert states, or mess with the Active alert state that the game provides.  Just ignore it.

Set up a room that can become a barracks (put an armor rack or a weapon stand in it).  When you want a squad to train, make it a barracks and assign that squad to train there from within the barracks screen.  When you want the squad to stop training, unassign the barracks.

well the thing is, they do nothing on inactive (no job all the time) but start organizing combat training when set to active/training, but sparring is kinda broken.

Edit: my fort just got killed by a goblin ambush because my dwarves couldn't train a proper military. I'm not playing another fort until the military bugs have been squashed.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 06:13:34 pm by Orkel »
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 14, 2010, 06:49:13 pm »

training bugs are probably the only thing putting me off DF for now.. it's just so incredibly annoying when they either don't train or get eternally stuck in it.
Dude, I don't notice any training bugs. Besides, training takes a while, at least when the instructor does not have good teaching skills and the others don't have good student skills.

Telling your Militia to litterly go out and kill something in the wilderness is much easier than keeping them in a room for three years.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2010, 07:02:00 am »

Dude, I don't notice any training bugs. Besides, training takes a while, at least when the instructor does not have good teaching skills and the others don't have good student skills.

Telling your Militia to litterly go out and kill something in the wilderness is much easier than keeping them in a room for three years.

http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=605

I suffer from this in every fort

It should be noted that dwarves stuck in this perma-military mode show their job as "no job" yet are not counted as idle dwarves. Sometimes, they'll permanently show a military task as their job, such as 'Individual combat drill', or 'Waiting for demonstration' etc, rather than 'no job', but the effect is the same.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2010, 07:13:17 am »

I never remove a dwarf from a squad, unless she's dead.  There really isn't any reason to do so, is there?  As far as I can tell, having every single one of your dwarves in a squad is the optimal way to do it, because then they get to wear armor all the time, in case of ambush or wild animal attack.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

turgidtoupee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2010, 08:00:41 am »

Have you ever thought about putting dwarf fortress into, for example, the ubuntu repository? Or even just having your own. It'd be a lot easier for us linux users, rather than having to install all the dependencies ourselves.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2010, 08:40:07 am »

That's not really something I'd want Bay 12 to spend time doing.  Packagers for Ubuntu, Debian, Fedora, etc. can make their own packages for DF if they want to.

Totaku

• Bay Watcher
  • The little oni that strikes the earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2010, 09:28:16 am »

Well, if everyone's been looking at the bug tracker... it seems that starting as of right 0.31.11...

Military demonstations and sparring training should be fixed! We should be able to train our Dwarves as groups instead of having them depend on individual training.
That's one small step for man, one giant leap for Otakukind!

And maker of the mod in progress known as Suika Fortress Now for 0.34.xx!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2010, 09:33:34 am »

Well, if everyone's been looking at the bug tracker... it seems that starting as of right 0.31.11...

Military demonstations and sparring training should be fixed! We should be able to train our Dwarves as groups instead of having them depend on individual training.

Here are the fixed bugs that Totaku's talking about.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2010, 09:37:47 am »

Yea, the military system is now going to be like more than 90% fixed and the only remaining bugs are some combat balance, any lingering issues with training (Toady said that he got what he could find, so there may be a few lingering cases), a few issues still happening with marksdwarves/archers, and a couple of military screen crashes.

After that, I hope he gets to the bug(s) with farning as thats my last big pet peeve as far as the bugs go.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 09:40:37 am by smjjames »

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2010, 09:52:21 am »

Those training bugfixes make me very happy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2010, 10:00:08 am »

Although maybe Toady will try to take care of the dead dwarves not getting removed automatically from the squad? That one seems to be at the root of a couple of squad issues.

But meh, I'm not going to dictate what Toady is going to do.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 15, 2010, 10:04:35 am »

Although maybe Toady will try to take care of the dead dwarves not getting removed automatically from the squad? That one seems to be at the root of a couple of squad issues.

It's helpful to link to these reports when discussing them, especially if you're trying to draw Toady's attention to them.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 17