Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released  (Read 81223 times)

izraqthedark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.10 Released
« Reply #135 on: July 13, 2010, 10:03:24 am »

I've noticed that there seems to be a distinct lack of fish.

Anyone else confirm a lack of fish in their forts?

Has this bug reared it's ugly head again?

I have plenty of fish at my fortress at the moment including the dreaded carp.  I am curious if you are using an old save because I had the same problem when I migrated one of my old saves to the newer versions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 13, 2010, 10:50:26 am »

For those that aren't seeing any fish, are you guys in a scorching biome and can you test whether dwarves who got soaked in water bleed to death when the water layers evaporate and they are outside? You might be seeing this bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=2605 which is a remnant of the melting in rain bug.

VWSpeedRacer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 13, 2010, 11:36:37 am »

Toady already said that flexible stuff goes "haha i am flexible!" on anything incoming. Thus it isnt that bad at all just to strong - i could imagine that the cloth/leather deploys the force of a blow over a to large area here - like the entire size of the item. If the damage calculation deploys now the force uniformly over the entire item instead gradually outward from the weapons Contact-area, you will never reach a point where you overcome the shear value. A gradual deployment of force over an area would be right thus less force the farer you are away from the Center of the hit. The form of the contact-area of a blade must here taken into acount because its a thin line (or a point in case of pointy ammo) and not a circle as for Maces. Thus the force would be deployed a little bit defferent in comparsion to maces etc.

Ah, so that explains why my war dogs (which used to be awesome and rip goblins to shreds in 40d) can't even bruise goblin thieves with their giant cave spider cloaks and other clothes. At least this was true in 31.08. The old 40d war dogs were ferocious but still vulnerable to weapons, so pretty realistic: I hope Toady brings them back.
This should be fixed since .06: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=744
A quick reminder that, while the default raws have been fixed, you have to copy them into your save to make the fix apply if you've carried it over from an older version.
"Yo dorf, I herd you like menacing so I put spikes on yo spikes so you can menace while you menace!"
I think something went wrong with the mac download. All I know is, there's an exe in it, and that just ain't right.
Armok's Sweaty Balls Toady

SocietalEclipse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 13, 2010, 01:20:38 pm »

My fortress has a brook, and I have no trouble pulling some fish from it every season.  But I've not yet seen a single shelled creature, either above or below ground (though I haven't told anyone to fish in the second cavern; just the first one).

In previous forts I've pulled turtles from surface pools at the start, thereby supplying enough shells for a whole generation's worth of artifacts, but this doesn't seem to be reproducible.
In my current fortress generated with 0.31.10 the only thing the brook had was mussels.  I had over 200 (no bookkeeper at the time) "raw fish" that were all mussels.  As soon as I dump the mussel shells from my refuse heap back inside my fortress some other dwarf grabs more from the Fishery to throw outside.  Crustaceans showing up is obviously working so I assume it's a biome discrepancy between yours and mine.  Incidentally you can't do anything other than possibly satisfy moody dwarves with shells until the next release because of this bug: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=206

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 13, 2010, 01:28:06 pm »

My current fortress freezes in winter, so it's definitely not a scorching biome.  Also, I don't recall what version was used for worldgen -- it was pre .08 I think.  Might be time to scrap the world....

(Yeah, I'm not so worried about Shell Crafts.  I'm more concerned with keeping moody dwarves alive.)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 01:30:11 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 13, 2010, 02:01:42 pm »

(*)stopped seg-fault at quit in linux if sound wasn't initialized (oliver)

Does this only fix the crash in linux on exit with sound off or in windows too?

Rebirthocool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2010, 04:02:50 pm »

I noticed a lack of fish in a tropical forest

except for lungfish and frogs

nothing else though

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2010, 07:49:30 pm »

Nice work with so many bugfixes!

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2010, 12:08:36 am »

I stopped the main cause of people carrying around three or four weapons, shields, etc. and I freed up equipment that got locked up when a squad with empty positions was disbanded. Fixed a crash on the military ammo screen and another crash/hang on the squad screen. Shell crafts and other shell objects should work for next time. Artifacts made from body parts (shells, bone, etc.) should get the right material.
Is anyone as excited for this as I am? Last time my military almost kicked ass. Now, my single marksdwarf can actually kill things without losing limbs (primarily because all he's fought are beasts and they just run away, but still). With equipment fixed, things will be AWESOME!
Bring on the !!Fun!!

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2010, 02:24:16 am »

That 'body part' fix will be HUGE. Means we won't need to worry about Shell anymore if I'm reading it correctly - so this was Toady's original intent with having shell be harder to obtain. Squad screen crash was the one crash I'd ever gotten in DF2010 so this looks very promising on the military side too.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

arghy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2010, 02:29:25 am »

Wait so are these current bugs(the shells/military crash) or did they just get fixed? I've had a grand fortress idea for awhile now but i'm waiting for a stable version.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2010, 03:04:34 am »

They are fixed for 0.31.11, which is not yet released.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Orkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 14, 2010, 06:05:41 am »

The training and sparring problems should be fixed next.
Quote from: madjoe5
Dwarf Fortress: The game in which people place abducted children in a furnace to see what happens.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 14, 2010, 07:29:20 am »

That 'body part' fix will be HUGE. Means we won't need to worry about Shell anymore if I'm reading it correctly

I don't see that.  Quoth the Toad:
Quote from: Toady
Shell crafts and other shell objects should work for next time. Artifacts made from body parts (shells, bone, etc.) should get the right material.

This is surely a fix for the bugs where someone made a Shell craft and, after expending the time and labor, got nothing.  And the bugs where someone made an artifact that included bones or shells, and it ended up as an Iron Figurine.

I don't see any changes to the availability of shells, although it's possible that will also be fixed as a side effect of something else....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 14, 2010, 09:15:15 am »

He just fixed the skill rusting/decay and the skills not using attrubutes on the bug tracker! :)

We'll have to see just how significantly improved it is though.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17