YEAH.
- 44 (7.7%)
NO!
- 449 (78.2%)
What is Dwarf Fortress?
- 81 (14.1%)

Total Members Voted: 573

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: "Dwarf Fortress is lame."  (Read 15292 times)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
"Dwarf Fortress is lame."
« on: July 08, 2010, 08:57:52 pm »

Is Dwarf Fortress lame?

(I need to convince someone to play. They said that it was lame.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 07:17:30 pm by quinnr »
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
Re: "Dwarf Fortress is lame."
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:17 pm »

Who the hell voted yes?

Seizures

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 09:10:32 pm »

DF takes a special kind of crazy to even get into.

A lot cannot handle the learning curve, or the graphics (even with tilesets), or the endless failed forts fun.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:13:48 pm »

Show him the mermaid thread. If he remains both bored and unamused, and without any hint of being horrified, he is probably a Terminator robot sent back in time to kill you. If this is the case, he must be disposed of immediately, making sure to keep traces of his machinery from surviving and tainting the timeline. Alternatively, he may just be old and boring. In which case, tell him to go back to playing his solitaire.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 09:17:25 pm »

Wait.

4 people voted yes...
10 people (including me) voted no...
2 people voted "What is dwarf fortress"...

Seriously guys? Why do you even come on the forums if you think dwarf fortress is lame?
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 09:20:15 pm »

If he says it's lame without any explanation, then likely it's either an expectation or interest mismatch.

I will admit that, if you try to play it after hearing all the awesome stuff in DF described, you will be disappointed.  Try to be objective and compare the description of using a magma piston to kill an entire siege of goblins vs the actual DF execution of the same.  The actual execution isn't all that grand.

Add in the insane learning curve and the sheer amount of time you have to spend to actually *do* any of these awesome things, and you get a serious case of disappointment.

Also, the game really isn't for everyone, even if they do get past the learning curve.  It's a game without a clear win condition - and that sort of sandbox doesn't appeal to everyone.  It's also a game that's more about design and management then anything else.  It's much more likely to appeal to those who like Sim City and the various Tycoon games than someone who prefers Halo or Madden.

So unless he expounds upon the statement "Dwarf Fortress is lame" then there's really no way to know how to present the information that says otherwise.  Heck, depending on his interests and gameplay styles, Dwarf Fortress probably is irredeemably lame, and no amount of talk or trial will fix it because he simply doesn't like it.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 09:36:53 pm »

Have him read Boatmurdered.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 09:45:17 pm »

I forgot Boatmurdered...
is it really that awesome?
(Haven't read it yet.)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 09:49:46 pm »

Yes, yes it is. It is pure madness and insanity and win and awesome and [list contines, getting increasingly illegible].
Evil Pachyderms make an alliance with goblins, lots of dwarves kill each other, and (I'm pretty sure, haven't read it in awhile) they flooded the world on one or more occasions. [/list]

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 09:53:56 pm »

Yes, yes it is. It is pure madness and insanity and win and awesome and [list contines, getting increasingly illegible].
Evil Pachyderms make an alliance with goblins, lots of dwarves kill each other, and (I'm pretty sure, haven't read it in awhile) they flooded the world on one or more occasions. [/list]

And Emperor Sankis the Beardless goes on a berserk rampage, while on fire.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 09:54:33 pm »

I forgot Boatmurdered...
is it really that awesome?
(Haven't read it yet.)
Yes.

It perfectly explains the motto "losing is fun." In the current version you can't flood the entire world with magma quite so easily, and the elephants are less dangerous, so it's not a perfect intro to DF2010. But it is the only reason I tried this game, and the reason I came back several months later to try it again.

Nick

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 10:09:22 pm »

To be 100% honest, Boatmurdered is entirely underwhelming.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

jimi12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 10:53:02 pm »

My wife does not understand why I love Dwarf Fortress. She calls it Midget Hideout.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 11:41:42 pm »

Yeah tell him to read boatmurdered. If he still isn't interested after that... well I'm afraid there's nothing we can do for him.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 11:47:31 pm »

My wife does not understand why I love Dwarf Fortress. She calls it Midget Hideout.

sigged!
This is a blank sig.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10