Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Do you have any DF quirks?  (Read 17321 times)

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have any DF quirks?
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2010, 02:29:28 pm »

I have only lost 3 forts to bad stuff... Pretty much every fort gets abandoned because it is untidy...
Same.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

clc02

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2010, 03:21:17 pm »

Three times I seen 'I flail helplessly'  I laughed each time because it describes me more often then not.

I currently got tired of immigrants so  I decided to embark on a (volcanic) island, immigrants still come, and I have a 32 z-level difference.

I am using channels to make it all flat with ramps up to the natural map tiles like:

U-up ramps D-Down ramps #-walls .-floors
z-level 2
Code: [Select]

DD
#D
#D
DD

z-level 1

..D
#UD
#UD
UUD

Until the whole map looks like:
#######
#UUUUU#
#U...U#
#U...U#
#U...U#
#UUUUU#
#######

Only in dwarven culture is alcohol poisoning a death worthed investigating, while being impaled through several toes, a eye, and a thumb from a spiraling water[3] is not.  Because everyone knows, the only way a dwarf could get alcohol poisoning is if someone put poison into the alcohol.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2010, 09:28:12 pm »

My trade depot room must always be exactly 7x7.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

existent

• Bay Watcher
  • I Watch Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2010, 10:36:49 pm »

That's funny, because mine must always be exactly 5x5.
wwwwwww
wDDDDDw
wDDDDDw
wDDDDDw
wDDDDDw
ww---ww
where w = wall, D = depot, - = floor.
[DF 0.31.13]  ۝ War of the Ring Mod ۝  [WotR 0.13.3]

War of the Ring is back baby!
A mod based on Lord of the Rings, by JRR Tolkien.

The1nk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2010, 11:31:06 pm »

That's funny, because mine must always be exactly 5x5.
wwwwwww
wDDDDDw
wDDDDDw
wDDDDDw
wDDDDDw
ww---ww
where w = wall, D = depot, - = floor.

..Mine, also, is always 7x7. :P I never feel like they can walk through the depot, unless I leave a path around it.. :\

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2010, 11:41:32 pm »

I get antsy if I can't color code my levers by basic functions. Red for magma, Microcline/Kimberlite for water, others by whatever I feel like for that fort.

I have a green glass fixation as well.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2010, 12:02:11 am »

Spiral Ramp to the First Caverns, 5tiles wide and cicular.
Always Start in the First Caverns with no true walls around my camp.
Build a small Village IN that area (still no walls) but not within the actual walls of the Cavern.
New Spiral Ramp to the next and rinse and repeat, walls for second and then actual Fort down the bottom where everyone will live, making the upper two caverns as outposts for warriors to guard the entrances...

5 Tiles for the Main hall, 3 tiles for the Extention Halls, 2 Tiles for local area halls.

Dorms are appartment blocks, These are for lower units, divided by Caste (Barrows) while better units get higher level homes.

Axewarriors are my Main War force. Spear and Crossbow as Backup.
'Police' force are mainly Spear.

Tanners next to Leatherworks in the same area so that their shapes mirror one another.

Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

PermanentInk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2010, 06:52:51 pm »

I nickname all dwarves with their arrival group (original 7 as '1', first migrant wave as '2', et al).

I loved this idea but found numbers a bit too impersonal, so last night I started a fort where I used names starting with 'A' for founders (Adam, Alice, etc.), 'B' (Bob, Billy, etc.) for the first wave of migrants, etc.  Been really happy with the results -- having a letter picked makes names easier to come up with, and the initials really give me nice visibility into a given dwarf's circumstances.

Funtimes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2010, 06:58:46 pm »

What about surnames and children? Do you make family webs visible?

Also, Therapist can sort your Dorfs by migration wave pretty accurately (it treats kids as a separate wave).

elfhater

• Bay Watcher
  • Sine vino non laboro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 15, 2010, 01:49:14 am »

If I dig into the side of a hill or cliff, I need at least four layers above the entrance to be in line with it, like a sheer cliff, and I'll spend a lot of time channeling or building walls until they are. I also remove all the ramps around the entrance because I don't like the idea of enemies coming from directions that aren't line-of-sight from the door.

On the other hand I have no problem with starting a fort straight down rather than into a hill. I tend to prefer rather extensive above-ground farms, palisades, towers, and roads. I like to make it look like an actual settlement when viewed from outside, rather than just a door or hatch into the earth. Otherwise the filthy elves might get the idea that the area is uninhabited, and try to get friendly with my timber.

Almost always, my halls will be 3 tiles wide, and will terminate in a 2x2 stair complex. Lately, rather than putting workshops into rooms off of the hallway, I'll just widen the hallway by 3x3 or 3x4 where I want the workshop to go. Who cares if a Dwarven hallway is noisy? The sound of the forge is soothing.

I almost never use ramps underground, though if I embark in an area that has a plateau/valley situation, I'll ramp a tunnel to connect them with roads coming out either end, and build my fort around the tunnel, with the main entrance in the center of the tunnel. Makes a great choke point, and it's kind of like a toll booth.

mLegion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 15, 2010, 02:32:15 am »

My fortress is always made up of 5x5 tile rooms and no hallways except the living quarters and the central staircase which is always a 11x11 room with a central group of 5x5 up/down stairways. Also i always smooth every outside tile.

Zyrjello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 15, 2010, 03:15:57 am »

In general, all of my workshops and similar (furnaces, trade depot) go in their own rooms with a 1-tile border around the building, so workshops go in 5x5 rooms and the trade depot goes in a 7x7 room. The workshops have one entrance each, so I can set down a door or a cage trap to deal with any berserk dwarves.

Also, I prefer to smooth everything, but I don't like engravings. They're too visually busy, so I leave them to a few select areas where I know they will be appreciated.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 15, 2010, 03:21:07 am »

Also, I prefer to smooth everything, but I don't like engravings. They're too visually busy, so I leave them to a few select areas where I know they will be appreciated.
d-v

It toggles the pictures in favor of something that looks like a better smooth wall.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Zyrjello

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 15, 2010, 03:35:05 am »

Yeah, I know, but then it still clashes with constructed walls. :P

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 15, 2010, 05:08:43 am »

I always build a strip mine as the second z level of my base with the pattern of

x=wall
-=floor

-------
-xx-xx-
-xx-xx-
-xx-xx-
-xx-xx-
-xx-xx-
-xx-xx-
-xx-xx-
-xx-xx-
-xx-xx-
-xx-xx-
-------

and then after mining all useful gems and ores out of it, i will smooth and engrave THE ENTIRE MINE

This will then be repeated across several z levels until i need space.  sadly during the engraving process my fps dies...
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10