Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: Do you have any DF quirks?  (Read 17288 times)

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have any DF quirks?
« Reply #135 on: November 12, 2014, 05:49:04 pm »

I nickname all my dwarfs with numbers. Like "1", "2", and so on.
Prefixing dwarves that way isn't a bad idea. Number them by the migrant wave. 0 for the starting 7, and then progress upwards from there.
Or don't nickname the starting seven and they're the only ones with real names, the rest are just faceless drones

(PS: it would be 0 to 6, 0 to 7 would be 8 numbers)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 12, 2014, 06:42:21 pm »

Prefixing dwarves that way isn't a bad idea. Number them by the migrant wave. 0 for the starting 7, and then progress upwards from there.
Or don't nickname the starting seven and they're the only ones with real names, the rest are just faceless drones

I don't go so far as to give them numbers but they're all faceless drones to me, hehe.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 12, 2014, 06:47:43 pm »

I compulsively track lineage of my dwarves, they all get nicknames of the clan they're in.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #138 on: November 12, 2014, 08:10:31 pm »

I don't go so far as to give them numbers but they're all faceless drones to me, hehe.
I meant like:
0-Urist
0= Migrant wave, in this case, initial wave/embark.

1-Obok
1-Askod
These guys would be part of the first wave of migrants.

2-Urd
And Urd would be part of the next wave after that.

This is a good way to keep track of your waves sans Therapist. Clans is also a good one to use as an alternative.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #139 on: November 12, 2014, 09:20:19 pm »

My starter seven often get nicknames, eg. Mebs Digdoc, Urist farmbed(grower-carpenter), Nistot talky(trader/consoler), Asmel smith.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 13, 2014, 01:37:46 am »

I once had a fort segregated on religion; The gods the starting seven believed in were the correct ones, and everyone who believed in any of them or were married to someone who did were given proper names and wonderful rooms with golden furniture.
Those who didn't were simply named 'Worker', given menial jobs, and lived in a dirt dormitory.

PythonPizazz

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dance with me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 13, 2014, 02:32:16 am »

Whenever I'm forced to make a hole-in-the-ground fortress, I always, always make it radial. Everything must be arranged in circles around the main staircase, so that everything's the same distance away. I'm kind of obsessed with efficient transportation. Long entrance tunnels annoy the hell out of me, since they make a long-ass single-direction gap between the fortress and outside resources. But, alas, they are all too necessary for defense.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2014, 02:42:57 am by PythonPizazz »

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 13, 2014, 02:57:57 am »

But, alas, they are all too necessary for defense.
You can build a maze for you enemies, link it to your fort, but close the door so your dorfs will take anothe route. When the enemies come, open the door to the maze and close your usual door.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]