Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: Do you have any DF quirks?  (Read 17291 times)

stormyseasons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you have any DF quirks?
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2010, 08:48:17 am »

I must have good, highest savagery, also normal woods, sedimentary and igneous stone, a brook, plenty of trees, some mountain, some plain/hill areas with plenty of soil. Elf trade for exotics is a necessity as well.

The caverns are never breached until I've got everything but the metalworks and the army set up.

All dwarves MUST have their own bedrooms, cabinets and chests. Even if they never sleep in them. There is always a well room, but not always a statue room. There is always a breeding population of livestock.

Even if I never do anything with it, all gold and silver veins will be dug out and converted first into electrum, then into whatever I please.

If I remember to I colourcode levers. There is usually a room set aside for an arena - killing prisoners by means of war animals. There is always an atom smasher. Once the metalworks are up everyone has at least one metal cabinet.

I always have a greenhouse. Always. Surface crops are just too tasty.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

avaunt

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2014, 05:37:26 pm »

Here's a few tendencies that I cling to:

- When I choose a civ, It must be one that has diversity in their hair and skin. If the entire starting seven has russet hair and burnt umber skin, I abort the game and try another civ. It's way too boring to know beforehand that all the migrants you'll get have the same colours.

- Military dwarves must have a distinct backpack and flask. I want only one backpack of a specific animal leather. No two soldiers will have dingo backpacks - only one will. It's the same with flasks - one from each metal. When I have most of the metals covered, only then I consider allowing TWO zinc flasks.

I don't know why I insist on these internal rules. I guess I want more variety within the population and the military. Limul the axeman has a panda backpack and a trifle pewter flask, whereas Kikrost the spearman carries around an elephant backpack and chugs from a lead flask.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:39:45 pm by avaunt »

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2014, 08:59:06 pm »

- I hate making fancy rooms for the dorfs.
- I try not to have many cage traps & weapon traps, they are OP.
- don't bother with aquifer areas, unless making a NO DIGGING ALLOWED outdoors fort.
- crossbows are fun, especially since they have an integrated bayonet in OldGenesis mod.
- engravers: just for keeping the population busy.
- drain one or two ponds for underwater water supply. AND get nice farm mud at the same time.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2014, 09:14:37 pm »

I will flat out quit an amazing embark when the wagon lands on a ridge because I always incorporate the wagon into a shrine at the entrance, walled off and secured with stairs and hatches, plus a dorf wash.

I also like to pile the corpses of invaders with all the body parts collected together as a trophy area of sorts... which causes a lot more !!Fun!! than normal when I forget which part of the map reanimates or necromancers show up to party.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2014, 09:20:58 pm »

I refuse to use a world unless I can cart in a lot of gems and metals from the mountainhome. I also always smooth everything, and let the best engravers, well, engrave. I skip the textile industry, instead ordering in tons of leather. While fortress design, food, and most things that make happy dwarves are shoved to the back row, I heavily micro manage crafters and smiths. I had one fort dehydrate to death before I even cared, because I was busy with the crafters and jewellers.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2014, 09:34:00 pm »

I always use 5x5 design (not include walls) for bedroom and put the bed on the center tile, if you say.
And I have a habit to mine out an entire floor or two for stones.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 10, 2014, 10:27:52 pm »

I like using unnecessary numbers of locked doors for my shinies hoard.
I make weapons on an as-needed basis, making specific weapons for specific dorfs.
I use the Dormitory option to avoid the tedium of digging out individual bedrooms.
I engrave the walls of the dining hall and geometrically organize floor engravings, but don't touch anywhere else.
I use supports to "hold up" hallways and rooms I want to seem grander.
I give nobles' rooms increasingly valuable doors, starting with stone for the mayor, then copper for the baron, bronze for the count, iron for the duke, and steel, precious metals, or artifact for the monarch.
I like to give the military alert for retreating to the shelter and the shelter itself silly names; my most recent are the "Run Hide Hobbitses" alert, which sends the civilians to the Hyper-Powered Low-laying Objectively inVincible Extra Crazy Rocking Anti-elder gods Fun Time bunker (H.P. L.O.V.E.C.R.A.F.T bunker for short.)
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Meneth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2014, 05:46:40 am »

I will only embark in perfectly flat places, because having to switch Z-levels to see what's on the surface bugs me greatly.

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2014, 06:14:16 am »

Embark:
-I refuse to play an embark without a river and iron, and I like there to be lots of trees.

Fort:
-I generally build into a hillside, but in the new version am building an above ground castle. All outdoor buildings must be made of the same rock, with wooden floors.
-My main gate always has a raising bridge between two 7x7 (5x5 room space) towers, which house barracks on the first floor.
-Dorfs always have tiny rooms with just enough space for a door, bed, chest, cabinet.
-I have somewhat separate "work" vs "living" areas. For example, in my current fortress all workshops and animal pens are roughly dug into a hillside. The rest of the fortress inside in a large, monolithic above-ground complex, and includes bedrooms, hospital, wells, dining halls, final product stockpiles (cooked food, booze, clothing, armor, soap, etc.), and barracks in the towers.
-I never use cage traps IN OR AROUND my fort. I often place them in far-flung corners of the map to capture wildlife.

Dorfs:
-I like to restrict my military to using swords, spears, and crossbows.
-A nickname is bestowed upon any dwarf that achieves legendary in a skill.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2014, 06:22:51 am »

* I always make a moat and drawbridge at the main entrance, and a back entrance full of traps.
* I always separate my fort with each floor dedicated to a single purpose: farming, storage, offices, workshops, residential, noble quarters (possibly a separate floor for forging once I hit magma). Efficiency is a secondary concern.
* Non-nobles generally get a 2x3 room with a bed, a chest and a cabinet.
* Each dwarf gets both a slab and a coffin, unless their body was lost, though only nobles get tombs.
* Elven diplomats get three short-jokes, then I start the killin'.

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2014, 08:47:29 am »

* All my hallways are 3 tiles wide. Stairways are always 3x3.

* My entry always includes a 7x14 2z high corridor with fortifications on the upper level. 3 full squads of crossbowdwarves are behind them on a rotation. 2 month guard duty, 2 month training, 2 month free time in younger forts, in older forts the 2 month training is replaced by guard duty in secondary stations, for example fortifications I placed somewhere inside the cliff wall, guard towers, on fortified walls on the outside and similar structures.

* My military has always the same structure:
3 Archer squads, see above.
3 Melee squads I have on constant rotation, 2 months guard duty near the trade depot, 2 months patrol duty inside the fortress, 2 months free time.
2 Mixed squads I use where they are needed. I only touch the 6 "fixed" squads in dire emergencies.
1 Squad for the captain of the guard with ridiculously decorated armor and weapons used to... look pretty... I guess...

* I have an addiction to cave wheat and strawberries, cultivating huge amounts of both in every single fort. With the new crops purple ameranth is starting to become a new favorite as well. For some reason I just like saying the word ameranth.

* My captain of the guard carries a weapon made from the mose expensive material I can get my hands on. Usually either a heaviely decorated masterwork silver short sword or a mooded artifact rose gold weapon. Yes I draft rose gold liking dwarfs into weaponsmith duty just for that. I love rose gold.

* I am compulsively forced to tame and breed every kind of warthog, giant feline, warthog or bird of prey I come across. Also warthogs.

* Every fort contains something like an arena or other "safe" zone I can use to set up combat between my soldiers and enemies who have happened to wander into my cage traps.

(Ameranth)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 08:49:07 am by Cyroth »
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2014, 03:03:32 pm »

I don't like to have my fortress dig more than 10 z levels without turning into hallways or branching
I don't like to have areas where I can't get water from a river/stream/brook or ocean
I can't work with aquifers at all
I almost always start my fortress by digging down, as opposed to digging into a wall

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2014, 03:08:52 pm »

I honestly don't know what counts for a quirk on this forum. Ritualistic rigours and bizarre practices are quite the norm and so what can truly count as a quirk? For me, it probably has to be my tendency to create odd stockpiles. I was honestly surprised at the time when people were expressing confusion as to why I had a specialized raven stockpile.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2014, 03:55:18 pm »

Where else would you put ravens... I mean, I suppose you could bake them into a pie or something?

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #119 on: November 11, 2014, 05:41:23 pm »

After I had a fort go for two years without bedrooms because I was having the mother of all stockpiles dug out, I've had an even more extreme aversion to efficient stockpile management to the point that every fort since has had a one-tile minecart based quantum stockpile fed by a 5x5 stockpile that accepts everything but refuse. (Because of XX☼steel breastplate☼XXs.)
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10