Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 118

Author Topic: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community) - 0.31.25  (Read 293708 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Towersoared - Chronicles of Construction (Community)
« Reply #270 on: September 08, 2010, 02:38:57 pm »

Beautiful fort. That dining hall is remarkably extravagant.

What's up with that hammerdwarf? Is he emo? Does he intentionally allow himself to be wounded to be that much more fearsome to the goblin menace, who see him with a sword sticking out of his chest and yet still unmaking their forces? Is he actually a Terminator? Only time will tell...

@Urist Imiknorris: Yup indeed, magma is good.  Statues are already done, they're made out of andesite.  I just have to pick out a spot to place the room.  Just one quick clarification on the design since I don’t use the ascii symbols.  I know the omegas are statues, and the AE characters are coffers.   What do the + symbols represent?  Are they engraved floors, grates or something else?   

Smoothed floors.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 02:41:20 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 08, 2010, 04:06:20 pm »

I believe F5 let's you take entire fort in SS.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 08, 2010, 04:43:26 pm »

I believe F5 let's you take entire fort in SS.

Ctrl-F5 will take a snapshot of the all levels of the embark currently showing (the default is 5 levels), however being Isometric, anything underground will be obscured by the ground above it unless it's on one the sides shown.

If your computer is like min (not great), you may need to edit Stonesense's init.txt to change the Renderer setting to "SOFTWARE" from "OpenGL" or "ANY" (I don't know what "ANY" actually does, but it doesn't AFAICT boot SS into "SOFTWARE"). Software mode can be really slow, but it's the only mode I can get the "Large Screenshot" function to work in.

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 08, 2010, 07:01:38 pm »

Battlecat, quick question. I'm building a dome myself; how do you go about building the curved part at the end of the dining hall?

Also, if y'could dorf me, if I haven't asked and received already, I'd appreciate it.

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2010, 10:57:12 am »

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Hematite, 310

I’m not the mayor anymore!  While I do sometimes enjoy the additional responsibility, mostly it just takes up my time.  What was a particular surprise was the election of Alath Zanoronul, our youngest dwarf and miner.  Apparently she made a large number of friends as a child and they cheerfully elected her now that she’s an adult. 

I don’t know her all that well, but I’m certainly happy to be relieved of the responsibility.  Time to see about arranging her some rooms and an office.  Also, Shorast the unlucky hammerdwarf is back on his feet and training again.  It’s a testament to the work of Michael that he’s able to train again so soon.

Also, I had an interesting meeting with Unib, one of our top engravers today.  Apparently he feels his name is too common and wants to distinguish himself by adopting a new name.  He now wants to be known as Dragonshardz.

Cog’s Journal, 11th of Malachite, 310

Today the last two glass blocks for the roof of the dining hall are being hauled up and put in place.  It’s been a long 8 years but at last the dining hall roof is completed.  And the lowest floor of the dining hall is being excavated rapidly now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I’ve given the official orders to move all masonry activities down to the new shops on the first floor of the dining hall.  They’re built in rooms earmarked for food storage in the future but in the meantime, this will make block production much faster.  The miners are just working on our first lever room behind the storage chambers.  This is the first of several rooms where dwarves will go to control bridges and gates in our fortress.  Since I’m hopeful the dining hall will be a central gathering place, having the control room nearby should make for quick responses. 

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Malachite, 310

Today I met with the mechanics in the dining hall to discuss the plans for bringing water up from the caves.  The main problem I can see is power, or the lack thereof.  With glass we can easily build all the pumps we need but we don’t have a brook to generate power.  There is sufficient wind here to use windmills, but there aren’t any good spots to build a windmill yet.

Instead, I’m going to employ an age old dwarven technology known as the water reactor.  But of course, I’m adding my own little twist to it.  I presented these designs at the meeting. 

The facility will be built just above the caves for close access to the water supply.  A bit of dwarf power will be necessary to provide the first supply of water, but once the system is running, it will be able to bring more water up to the power facility and surface as necessary.  I sure hope the mechanics are up for it, there are a lot of details involved in this project.  Construction of the power facility will begin once the ground floor of the dining hall is completely excavation.  I've asked them to think on the design and let me know they see any flaws in it it that I may have missed. 

OOC: The water reactor design from the wiki seems to be one of my better options.  If it doesn’t work, I might have to switch to windmills but that remains to be seen.  Right now I don’t have a spot for them.  I've never embarked on a site with no brook so this will be an interesting challenge.

@Urist Imiknorris: Ahhh, of course, smooth floors.  Can’t believe I forgot that one.  :)  Based on what I’ve read about Shorast fighting, he’s just very clumsy, unlucky and maybe not terribly sharp.  In the last fight he dodged off a cliff.  He was also the only dwarf injured in the battle. 

@breadbocks, JAFANZ: Good point, I forgot about that method.  Of course as you also point out, it won’t be very helpful for viewing large swaths of underground.  :) 

@dragonshardz: Your dwarf is introduced above.  He’s responsible for half the masterwork engravings in the fortress to date. 

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2010, 02:23:41 pm »

Journal of Unib Dragonshardz Iklistzefon, Engraver - 18 Hematite 3103

I know what you're all thinking, that this name change is the precursor to a loss of sanity. It's not. I'm still sane as ever, though I do admit, some of the carvings attributed to me are a bit unfamiliar. An artist's curse, I suppose, to get in a creative trance and then not recognize your own work! Ha!

It's been a long 8 years, for all of us, but that dome is nearly complete. My work, however, is not. I've still got quite a few engravings to do. Best get to work.

D͔̹̜̩͖̦̺͉͙̖̹̙̦̼̘͕͕ͫͫ̈́ͩͪ͐̌̐̌̂̿̂̿̈́̿ͫ̎ͧř̟̮͈͚̘͓̮̦̼̋̾ͤa̹̻̫̝̦͙̙̜̬̱̘̺͔̜ͦ̿̓g̞̼͈͔̻͍͙̱̬̜̠ͨ͐̊ͧ̉o̤̯̣͖̹̺͉̼͔͔̥̳̬͙̯͈̟̩̫͂ͩ͋̑̆͑ṉ̖͖̝̱͖̰̖̺̜͚͓͍̩̇ͫ̌̈́ͥͪ̐ͥs̭̼̮̗̺̹̭̰̪̰̘̿̐ͯ͌̎ͭ̇̿ͩͫ̏̈́̈ĥ͈͚̩̻̤̺̪ͨ̿͑̾ͣͪ̂a̠͚͖̺̠̤̼͓̼̯̮̫̠̤͗ͮ̚ͅͅr̮͔̣̮̪̪̖̳̰̙̬̰̯͖̞͋̍̓̿͂͆̏ͬ̓̔͒̆͋d̜̼͈͙̺͖̻̱ͧ̓ͭ̇͛͗̓̍̚z̦̜͍̼̬͕͍̯͍͍͍̬͚̠͇̠̣̜ͧ̀͑̂ͧͦͨ̋ͪ͐̈̇͂͆͌
̹̺͖̜͈̲̖̖̮̈͑̏͆ͤͦ̑͂

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 10, 2010, 04:25:45 pm »

Today I met with the mechanics in the dining hall to discuss the plans for bringing water up from the caves.  The main problem I can see is power, or the lack thereof.  With glass we can easily build all the pumps we need but we don’t have a brook to generate power.  There is sufficient wind here to use windmills, but there aren’t any good spots to build a windmill yet.

Instead, I’m going to employ an age old dwarven technology known as the water reactor.  But of course, I’m adding my own little twist to it.  I presented these designs at the meeting. 

Something I haven't had a chance to try, but think would be very Dwarvenly if it works, which depends on Waterwheels working off "Fluid" with Flow not just "Water", would be a Dwarven MAGMA Reactor... :P

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 10, 2010, 04:40:26 pm »

They only work with water.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 10, 2010, 04:52:31 pm »

Dagnabbit.  >:(

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: September 10, 2010, 06:02:04 pm »

Cog’s Journal, 18th of Galena, 310

This year is just flying past.  It’s been very quiet on all fronts until today.  Today the human caravan was spotted coming over the hill.  As a precaution, I’ve dispatched Derm and his axedwarves out to meet them.  Looks like a decent haul but I also see a lot of stuff that we don’t need.  Still they’re good trading partners and I can always hope they’ll bring something useful.

Events of the 7th of Limestone,310

Perhaps it was the hard grueling hours of training, or perhaps the early winter air.  Whatever it was, Ilral Nazomkeskal’s mind drifted off to sleep as a presence took control of his mind.  All that remained was a vague urge to go rekindle his old talent at the clothier’s shop.  Babbling and snoring, he wandered down into the fortress to fulfill his desire. 

Cog’s Journal, 17th of Limestone, 310

Iral Nazomkeskal came into the old dining hall today carrying a beautiful cloak.  It’s the usual high quality work I’ve come to expect from dwarves here in Towersoared. 

Cog’s Journal, 28th of Limestone, 310

I overheard Derm and his axedwarf squad discussing weapons today.  Apparently Ustuth Orreg has taken to calling his steel battleaxe Mamgozuz or Dragongrowl in the common tounge.  I looked over the records; it does appear to be a rather notable weapon.

Mostly I’m just surprised that Derm the Soulchopper’s weapon hasn’t been named yet.  All in good time I suppose. 

Cog’s Journal, 30th of Limestone, 310

Primary excavation of the dining hall was completed today as Stukos Avuztath the miner removed the last stray ramp from the ground floor.  There’s still huge amounts of work left to do, but we’ve finally reached the bottom floor of this excavation project. 

The haulers and engravers are up for the next job.  The engravers need to smooth the floors and walls.  The haulers will be moving all the stone out of the hall into the stairwell area in phases.  We’ll start by clearing the edges for statue construction and the area where the tables and chair will be going.  I don’t plan to wait for every detail to be completed before officially opening this area.  With any luck it’ll be actively in use in time for our celebration on the 28th of Obsidian this year.

I really hope I’m not being overly optimistic on that count. 

On separate note, I think I’ve found a good spot for Urist Imiknorris’ room request.  There will be magma plumbing along with the water on the ground floor of the dining hall.  It’ll be easy enough to extend the plumbing to a ground floor room as shown in this drawing:

Assuming Urist Imiknorris approves of course.  I’ll have to run that by her first. 

Cog’s Journal, 19th of Sandstone, 310

Look what just showed up. 

I’m going to consider whether or not to have the military deal with this one.  In the meantime, I’m going to seal the caverns using our new drawbridge.  Conveniently controlled from the recently commissioned control room1 off our new dining hall. 

Spoiler: Safe and Sound for now (click to show/hide)

Lucky that nobody was in prison.

OOC: First time I’ve actually seen a weapon get named in this fortress.  Lots of dwarves in the original two squads are attached to their weapons though.  Haven’t decided how to deal with this beast yet.  How dangerous is this poisonous gas? 

@Urist Imiknorris: How's that spot for your room? 

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: September 10, 2010, 06:12:03 pm »

Send Ustuth and his newly named axe to kill it. Afterwards, station him in a danger room for a few months, and see if some bad side effects pop up. If not, you're good to go for letting him out. If not, He needs to die. Diseases are rather dangerous.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: September 10, 2010, 06:30:27 pm »

I love the location. Since my dwarf tends to avoid crowds, there's a good chance that if I'm idling around, I'll be the first to respond to any lever that needs pulling.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: September 10, 2010, 06:49:50 pm »

I would like a marksdwarf, please. Thin or average build, not incompetent or significantly weak, but amazing physical and mental faculties are not required. Preferably a male with a long moustache that could be descirbed as a fu manchu or a female with braided hair or a ponytail. If no current marksdwarf fits, surely one of the workers who are not doing anything too significant to the wellbeing of the fort would be suitable.

Adker's the name.

While he or she does respect the melee warriors, this dwarf is adamant that crossbows and siege weapons are the true weapons of the future. In his (or her) mind: Axes and spears are simplistic and barbaric, swords good for dueling, but not massed warfare. Blunt weapons are fine for guardsmen and those who routinely face heavily armoured opponents, but ill-suited to dealing with hordes of poorly-equipped foes, such as elves and goblins. Other personality traits will depend on the character's in-game traits.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: September 10, 2010, 07:39:05 pm »

Another beast to the slaughter...
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Tuxman

• Bay Watcher
  • Forever GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 10, 2010, 07:39:35 pm »

Journal of Catten

"The fruits of my training are currently invisible, but seeing the example of Derm and his axedwarves, I am inspired to persist. My sword feels much use now.

On the subject of weapons, one of Derm's axedwarves named their axe. Examining the weapon, it doesn't have much special about it, yet it almost seems to wiggle in his hands, asking for more blood. Or maybe thats just me.

My own weapon, a wooden training sword (right?), is nothing special, but its weight is becoming more and more comfortable, versus the pick I was so used to handling.

My squadmates liken my blows to the swings of a pick, which is unsuprising. On the subject of picks, the dining hall was completely dug out today. It looks great, with the light flowing in from above, but rocks litter the floor and will need to be disposed of soon.

I wonder when digging will go down below the cavern levels, perhaps in search for the source of all the magma... back at the mountainhomes, there was a story going around, heavily covered up by the government, of course, that they had found a sea of magma. And with it, admantine.

We all wish it were that easy. Admantine is only a legend, though."
Meowth! That's right!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 118